This is a complete and major let down. There was a wealth of experience out there with a proven track record of success and we retread with Gibbons. This is a big mistake.
I guess this means Murphy is still the hitting coach?
I'm still in shock. I'm also surprised by the number of people OK with this.
Ok..why I hate this?
1. I believe people need to earn things. JP gave him the job because they were friends.
2. JP kept him well after he should have been let go...because they were friends. JP even said so.
3. He did have good teams to manage but, really managed them poorly.
4. He had a 500 record.
5. After he left he wasn't given another managers job...for a reason.
6. He was given a coaching job by the Royal and helped them win the WS...Oh...wait...
7. Cito ver2 didn't work...why then this. At least Cito had 2 WS under his belt.
8. The player conflicts. There are 30 teams in MLB. Baseballs been around a 100 years. Why did he have so many issues? Good managers just manage.
9. Shea Hillenbrand: Of all the great managers. Sparky, Johnny Mack, Tommy Lasorda, Weaver, Leyland and hundreds of others. I never heard of a manager getting into a fist fight with a player. I didn't like Shea either but, I don't care what he did-and he done a really bad thing. They don't fight players. There was 100 other ways to handle Hillenbrand. Gibby's first "idea" was to fight him. That was his thought process. That's a person who shouldn't be in charge of 25 professional.
10. Respect...from what happened above..I don't think players will respect him maybe even try to push his buttons.
11. He's shown he can't deal with EGO players. He only really managed 2 while he was here before. What if we have 5+.
12. He's never managed a playoff team. There are managers out there that have. This is actually one of the biggest issues why he should have got the job.
13. He wasn't a good baseball player...this is actually a big deal. He ONLY played 18 bloody games. Many great managers were ok, not great but ok...Gibby was bad and couldn't cut it. Yet he manages players?
14. Some say he managed games well...some same he didn't. I don't think he did and out of 610 games, he didn't show he could.
15. So what happen when his does make a bad call and Joey or Reyes points this out?
16. Has he ever been in the running or won a manager/coaching award?
17. How many ex-players (ex-managers) will come out and say he's a good manager? I've never ever anyone say he's good at his job.
18. He's never managed a minor league team...before or after. If he likes to manage...I assume he could have got a gig somewhere.
19. Honestly...I wouldn't stop saying this...AA...you couldn't find someone else? Seriously!?
These are just things off the top of my head. I haven't even given this deep thought. feel free to add to the list.
I'd be happy for someone to make a list of his good points to actually attempt to debate this. I'll give them 15 free points. Just name 4 good points about him and you win.
Last edited by Billyen; 11-20-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Hey! It'S JoeyBatS
I really like the hiring. He has managerial experience and that's the most important thing. They should probably hire a Spanish speaking bench coach though.
Okay so if ppls main concern about Gibbons is his different lineups then ppl need to check themselves. His BP managment was pretty good and from all accounts he had total respect from the players that mattered. Again ppl need to realize that different lineups do make sense. Good hire!
what's next?? jamie campbell is the new play by play.
oh, bad memories.(Lily, Frazer, Shean H.)
boy that's a cold bucket of water on all this excitement
boooooooooooooo! and throw in a F$%k!
Last edited by ah nuts; 11-20-2012 at 08:50 AM.
I don't mind this hiring. He'll hold players accountable.
I alos believe he'll have learned something form his past experiences and be a better manager for it.
I have a 1 1/2 hour drive to the casino now. I'll listen to the Fan all the way. I'm sure Jeff Blair will have an opinion on this.
I fine with the move. A manager only has so much of an impact on the game, and I'm sure he and AA will have a lot of communication. He doesn't take ****, which is needed with some of the type of players we have, but he is also a players manager, from what I've read.
He's got the horses. All he has to do is sattle them properly, and then let them do that work.
"If beer has never touched your lips, if you never dropped the mitts or packed a lip, you are not a hockey player, and if you are, chances are your not a very good one"