Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: Who should the 49ers start?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alex "The Phoenix" Smith

    25 34.72%
  • Colin "The Future" Kaepernick.

    47 65.28%
Page 66 of 70 FirstFirst ... 16566465666768 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 990 of 1045
  1. #976
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    31,949
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NinerHomer49 View Post
    Don't get me wrong...they don't "suck". They're just not good. They have a couple good (quinn, jenkins, Lauranitis) and a few great (Long, Jackson) players. Other than that...they're all effort. It's impressive that they always come to play for sure, but the game being close was due to coaching and attitude on the Niner's sideline.
    Don't forget Danny Ammendola, though he didn't play in the second game. That guy is awesome.


    Slap Hands!

  2. #977
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    troy, ny
    Posts
    266
    vCash
    1500
    This 'masterful strategy' is still a d*** move.

  3. #978
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Nothern Colorado
    Posts
    1,650
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NYYankees12 View Post
    No.

    If we put Smith up for trade the best we'd get is a 6th maybe 7th round pick. People fail to realize he was a freaking Free Agent just a few months ago and the only two teams that even called him was 1)Dolphins, who've now got their QB of the future and 2)Us who were flirting with Peyton Manning. Either Alex wins his job back here or he's a backup here or elsewhere in the league.
    Based on reports from Miami, the reason other teams didn't talk with Alex is because they KNEW he didn't want to leave the 49ers. If he had been serious about looking, he would have gotten more suitors.
    "All we care about are wins, stats are for losers" - Justin Smith
    "We're the San Francisco 49ers. We can do whatever we want" - Jim Harbaugh

  4. #979
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Allentown, PA
    Posts
    15,765
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by dulcetpine View Post
    This 'masterful strategy' is still a d*** move.
    Business can't always be nice, sucks that it happens to good people, but happens every day.

  5. #980
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    troy, ny
    Posts
    266
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by RedandGold_35 View Post
    Business can't always be nice, sucks that it happens to good people, but happens every day.
    That doesn't make it okay. I am just calling a spade a spade. Harbaugh looks like a complete dick now, and because of this he lost a lot of capital with me.

    I always route for the 49ers, they are my team through and through. But from time to time as a fan I find I become just as attached to the stories and careers of certain players. From the monkey on the back of steve young, to garrison hearst coming back from a horrific ankle injury to regain his form, to jerry rice rehabbing his knee, to jeff garcia emerging from obscurity and most recently the redemption of Alex Smith, those are sources of pride that are intensified when the team wins.

    I won't overlook the fact that Alex got our team ready in the off-season when the coaches couldn't go near the team and set the table for a playoff run when he wasn't even under contract. I won't overlook the fact that he overcame the challenges he faced earlier in his career last season by playing awesome and often clutch. I won't forget that by seasons end we were poised for a playoff deep run where I was thinking super bowl all the way (it's been a decade since I experienced that). Alex then gave us the fans one of the greatest playoff games ever witnessed (with some absolutely perfect throws) and got us within a breath of the ultimate goal which unfortunately we didn't fulfill. By doing these things he completely won me over. I said at the end of the season and I still say it now, Alex is my guy win or lose. He earned it the hard way. He took the lumps, tuned out the boo's and went about his job the right way. Is he the perfect player? Nope. It is unrealistic to expect him to be. Those players are exceedingly rare, and while I enjoy watching the once in a generation guys I don't expect that of everyone.

    A fan should never have to say that what they want most is the team to win, nor should I have to point out that they have been consistently and often convincingly. I will say I took pride in the style of football this team has shown the past season and a half by playing fundamentally smart and tough on both sides of the ball.

    Alex didn't single handedly win all these games, but he did contribute to them as part of a team. He knew his job and did what was required to win. That is all I ask as a fan. I personally think stats are overrated, I blame fantasy football for that. The reality is you don't need to win by 40 points, you just need to win.

    Right now I feel like I did the day Steve Young held a press conference announcing his retirement. It is not the same scenario, clearly, but the finality of Alex's 49er career feels like an analogous comparison, especially since both came at the hands of a concussion.

  6. #981
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Allentown, PA
    Posts
    15,765
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by dulcetpine View Post
    That doesn't make it okay. I am just calling a spade a spade. Harbaugh looks like a complete dick now, and because of this he lost a lot of capital with me.

    I always route for the 49ers, they are my team through and through. But from time to time as a fan I find I become just as attached to the stories and careers of certain players. From the monkey on the back of steve young, to garrison hearst coming back from a horrific ankle injury to regain his form, to jerry rice rehabbing his knee, to jeff garcia emerging from obscurity and most recently the redemption of Alex Smith, those are sources of pride that are intensified when the team wins.

    I won't overlook the fact that Alex got our team ready in the off-season when the coaches couldn't go near the team and set the table for a playoff run when he wasn't even under contract. I won't overlook the fact that he overcame the challenges he faced earlier in his career last season by playing awesome and often clutch. I won't forget that by seasons end we were poised for a playoff deep run where I was thinking super bowl all the way (it's been a decade since I experienced that). Alex then gave us the fans one of the greatest playoff games ever witnessed (with some absolutely perfect throws) and got us within a breath of the ultimate goal which unfortunately we didn't fulfill. By doing these things he completely won me over. I said at the end of the season and I still say it now, Alex is my guy win or lose. He earned it the hard way. He took the lumps, tuned out the boo's and went about his job the right way. Is he the perfect player? Nope. It is unrealistic to expect him to be. Those players are exceedingly rare, and while I enjoy watching the once in a generation guys I don't expect that of everyone.

    A fan should never have to say that what they want most is the team to win, nor should I have to point out that they have been consistently and often convincingly. I will say I took pride in the style of football this team has shown the past season and a half by playing fundamentally smart and tough on both sides of the ball.

    Alex didn't single handedly win all these games, but he did contribute to them as part of a team. He knew his job and did what was required to win. That is all I ask as a fan. I personally think stats are overrated, I blame fantasy football for that. The reality is you don't need to win by 40 points, you just need to win.

    Right now I feel like I did the day Steve Young held a press conference announcing his retirement. It is not the same scenario, clearly, but the finality of Alex's 49er career feels like an analogous comparison, especially since both came at the hands of a concussion.
    I appreciate the time it took you to write all that, and I don't really disagree with most of it, nor did I even say that the situation is "ok" by me either. Fact is tho, that alot of times the good individual is going to suffer for what is seen as what is good for the whole. I don't think it's an easy situation for JH, but it's his team, and we all know that he'll do what he believes is the right thing to do.

  7. #982
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    9/13/14: #Mayhem (While Pacman fights Algieri in China. lol)
    Posts
    29,392
    vCash
    11933
    In Harbaugh I Trust.


    Barry Lamar Bonds. .393/.967/1.054....on 3-0 counts.

    lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Mayweather/Marquez/Pacquiao/Bradley/Cotto/Wlad/Rigondeaux/Froch/Canelo/Maidana


    Boxing Fan? Come Discuss Boxing!

  8. #983
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,653
    vCash
    1500
    Exactly

    GIANTSNINERSWARRIORS

  9. #984
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    8,956
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekRE_3 View Post
    Don't forget Danny Ammendola, though he didn't play in the second game. That guy is awesome.
    Good point, I did forget about him. Brockers has a future too.

  10. #985
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,692
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Crombiestudd6 View Post
    I totally can see us getting a second or a third rd pick maybe a plAyer as well... We could pkg some of those picks to trade up in the first or get an extra first
    That would be tough. I know that in Madden, you can get a 2nd round pick for a player rated in the mid 80's. But in real life, we see quality starters being traded for 5th and 6th round picks. I can't see a team trading a 2nd or 3rd for Smith. However, if I'm a team that needs a QB, I wouldn't mind trading a 3rd for Smith.

  11. #986
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,650
    vCash
    1500
    Nobody is going to give us a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Alex Smith. Even if we keep him past the March 1st date, teams know for a fact that there is no way we will keep him past the April 1st date and pay him his entire salary. If a team really wants him, they'll just wait until we release him before surrendering that high of a pick. Maybe we get a 5th rounder for him, at best.

  12. #987
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,349
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by lolphillies View Post
    this.


    'phins or jets. Book it.
    cowboys!
    Book it!

  13. #988
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,152
    vCash
    1500
    Hey RedandGold great conversation starter.

    Here are my thoughts:

    1) Theory is correct EXCEPT on the TRADE theory
    Why? Because most teams would rather draft a young QB and develop him rather than someone already in the league.

    How about the Raiders? Credit to your Point- the Raiders were Super Bowl ready, wanted Palmer, and gave away the farm for him.

    Teams that will look at Smith: the Cardinals- Philly (Maybe but a new coach might want a new guy and overhaul his team)

    2) Where your theory is correct:-

    A) Harbaugh and the 49ers never wanted Smith back..He was their "fail safe" in case they couldn't land Peyton Manning. In their perfect world Peyton would have signed a 3 year deal then transitioned to Kaep like the Packers did to Rogers....

    B) Kaep was worked in each week, first as a zone read QB then throwing the deep ball. The culmination of knowing the switch was going to be made was the New York Giant game. What HC in their right mind takes out their starter multiple times a game to bring in the backup not to run Wildcat but to run the same plays as his starter?

    C) When asked if Kaep was being groomed to take over Alex Smith next year everyone denied it saying "Alex" is our guy....When he got hurt it was their chance to put in "their guy".

    D) If Alex led the team to the Super Bowl and won, He would HAVE TO COME BACK for the remainder of his contract. As long as the 49ers go to the playoffs with Kaep, Harbaugh can try to justify the switch and people will accept it.

    E) This is not going to be an Alex vs. Kaep debate but truth be told Kaep gives the 49ers less of a chance to win because of his inexperience....We have acknowledged the past 2 weeks of Kaep's inexperience but lets go back to the New York Giant game...Smith completes a deep ball to Randy Moss deep into NY territory..The crowd gets excited and the team gets a little momentum...The very next play Smith is taken out for Kaep who play actions to a phantom running back, runs around and gets sacked taking them out of FG range. If Smith were the SURE starter Harbaugh would have let him get into a rhythm and in that situation complete the drive.

    Notes: Players want to be treated with respect. If they feel at anytime the head coach can't be trusted they will eventually stop playing for him...Things are good right now and bloggers and posters are only debating the ramifications of the switch to Kaep. Just keep a look out...You can only lie so much before a team loses respect for you....Harbaugh should just come out and say Kaep is the starter and not act like it is week to week.

    The only way Alex gets back in the game is if Kaep loses to the Dolphins or gets injured. Think about it. Team Kaep says admittedly okay there were a few bumps in the road but we got a victory in New Orleans and the Rams was his first loss...But the more losses he gets i.e. the "give me game" against the phins the more the switch reflects poorly on the staff...

    Another question to ponder: With Eli having a down year could Alex have made the Pro Bowl? If he had what ramifications would that have had on "the switch"...would fans buy into the switch next year if Alex made the Pro Bowl? Were there any contract incentives the team would have to pay Smith if he made the Pro Bowl?

    Great topic to discuss my friend You make the forum enjoyable to read

  14. #989
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Allentown, PA
    Posts
    15,765
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Backto9erGlory View Post
    Hey RedandGold great conversation starter.

    Here are my thoughts:

    1) Theory is correct EXCEPT on the TRADE theory
    Why? Because most teams would rather draft a young QB and develop him rather than someone already in the league.

    How about the Raiders? Credit to your Point- the Raiders were Super Bowl ready, wanted Palmer, and gave away the farm for him.

    Teams that will look at Smith: the Cardinals- Philly (Maybe but a new coach might want a new guy and overhaul his team)

    2) Where your theory is correct:-

    A) Harbaugh and the 49ers never wanted Smith back..He was their "fail safe" in case they couldn't land Peyton Manning. In their perfect world Peyton would have signed a 3 year deal then transitioned to Kaep like the Packers did to Rogers....

    B) Kaep was worked in each week, first as a zone read QB then throwing the deep ball. The culmination of knowing the switch was going to be made was the New York Giant game. What HC in their right mind takes out their starter multiple times a game to bring in the backup not to run Wildcat but to run the same plays as his starter?

    C) When asked if Kaep was being groomed to take over Alex Smith next year everyone denied it saying "Alex" is our guy....When he got hurt it was their chance to put in "their guy".

    D) If Alex led the team to the Super Bowl and won, He would HAVE TO COME BACK for the remainder of his contract. As long as the 49ers go to the playoffs with Kaep, Harbaugh can try to justify the switch and people will accept it.

    E) This is not going to be an Alex vs. Kaep debate but truth be told Kaep gives the 49ers less of a chance to win because of his inexperience....We have acknowledged the past 2 weeks of Kaep's inexperience but lets go back to the New York Giant game...Smith completes a deep ball to Randy Moss deep into NY territory..The crowd gets excited and the team gets a little momentum...The very next play Smith is taken out for Kaep who play actions to a phantom running back, runs around and gets sacked taking them out of FG range. If Smith were the SURE starter Harbaugh would have let him get into a rhythm and in that situation complete the drive.

    Notes: Players want to be treated with respect. If they feel at anytime the head coach can't be trusted they will eventually stop playing for him...Things are good right now and bloggers and posters are only debating the ramifications of the switch to Kaep. Just keep a look out...You can only lie so much before a team loses respect for you....Harbaugh should just come out and say Kaep is the starter and not act like it is week to week.

    The only way Alex gets back in the game is if Kaep loses to the Dolphins or gets injured. Think about it. Team Kaep says admittedly okay there were a few bumps in the road but we got a victory in New Orleans and the Rams was his first loss...But the more losses he gets i.e. the "give me game" against the phins the more the switch reflects poorly on the staff...

    Another question to ponder: With Eli having a down year could Alex have made the Pro Bowl? If he had what ramifications would that have had on "the switch"...would fans buy into the switch next year if Alex made the Pro Bowl? Were there any contract incentives the team would have to pay Smith if he made the Pro Bowl?

    Great topic to discuss my friend You make the forum enjoyable to read
    Do what I can.

    I can see alot of points I agree with in what you wrote as well. My theory I certainly did not want to come across as the only reason behind the benching as I'm sure there are several others. I think no matter what this switch is going to stick, losses or not, playoffs or not. Harbaugh is that kind of guy that is going to make his decision and stick with it to a fault until it either is no longer a fault or there is no other option but to change.

    In the end Lakers is probably correct, that no team will likely trade for someone expected to be cut, but I look at Baalke (so far a GM genius) as someone, who in a QB needy market this offseason, will do alot of fielding in the offer gathering arena.

    In the end, I'm glad this at least got people to stop being super catty over who our QB is for a day or two.

  15. #990
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,692
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakers211221 View Post
    Nobody is going to give us a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Alex Smith. Even if we keep him past the March 1st date, teams know for a fact that there is no way we will keep him past the April 1st date and pay him his entire salary. If a team really wants him, they'll just wait until we release him before surrendering that high of a pick. Maybe we get a 5th rounder for him, at best.
    Yeah like I said it would be almost impossible to get a 2nd or 3rd for Smith.

Page 66 of 70 FirstFirst ... 16566465666768 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •