Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who should the 49ers start?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alex "The Phoenix" Smith

25 34.72%
  • Colin "The Future" Kaepernick.

47 65.28%
Page 56 of 70 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast
    vCash
    The issue with Smith is even laid out in that article. Zero passes over 20 yards, WRs being required to create YAC. How many games in his career has Smith had over 300 yards or even 3 TDs? While I can't argue that Smith can be down right amazing in some games, if an opponent takes away our running game, he simply doesn't have it to carry us. So while he is enough to carry us along and be an efficient cog in the entire machine of our offense, there comes a point where he has to go beyond that and I just haven't seen it. Look at Brady and the Pats when he first took over, alot like us in the playoffs last year, amazing defense, ST, not as good a running game but still, then you have Brady and basically what at WR? That's where Brady made his fame, basically creating something out of nothing with no names out there. Smith doesn't bring that to the table to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    I was just stating the guy wasn't pulling it out of his ***. Aaron Rodgers drops back around 35+ times a game. He's ran the ball 43 times this year as well. He doesn't have a lot of straight run calls, so i'd say about 4/5 of those are drop backs turn to scrambling. So no, Aaron Rodgers isn't sacked as much as Alex was, but it's close. Big difference is, Alex has a pretty damn good offensive line, Rodgers does not.
    And Aaron Rodgers is among the highest sacked QBs per dropback as well.. Jay Cutler is one of the QBs in Alex's high rate sack range, but the Bears have well documented OLine troubles...and in all fairness....Arizona's group might be higher than Alex, but that's nothing to brag about.

It's been well publicized, someone pointed sportscenter...i've even seen it right here on PSD. I'm not "making up numbers to bash on Alex" So as a few examples...

Alex has 217 attempts + 24 sacks against = 241 dropbacks. The 24 sacks divided by the dropbacks = a rate of 9.958%. Or pretty much 10%.

Throw a hodgepodge more out there that go all over the typical spectrum...

Eli is 3.2%, Peyton is 3.5%, Schaub is also 3.5%, Brady is 4%, Josh Freeman is 4.1%, Matt Ryan is 4.5%, Luck is 5.3%, Dalton is 6.1%, Flacco is 6.4% and there's a lot in between those guys.

I'm not picking on Alex. He took 44 sacks on 489 dropbacks last year, too, which is about 9%. The guy has always taken a lot of sacks.

Kaep has taken 5 sacks on 80 dropbacks in his 3 complete starts. That's a 6.3% rate in limited action. Nothing to write home about yet, but trending in the right direction. When he gets up over 200 dropbacks in game starts, we'll evaluate where he's at then.

vCash
    And I recognize this rough number doesn't account for scrambles. That would effect numbers but not enough for statistical significance in this comparison.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nutty View Post
    I saw it on sportscenter. He was ranked 35th (not sure out of how many QBs). 1 sack for every 10 attempts.
    But how many are those are 3 seconds or less? It's a decent stat, but we need more context with it.

#PoseyHugs #SanchezHugs

vCash
    We can't just look at sack stats. Some of those QBs have awful offensive lines. The 49ers do not. Any honest 49ers fan has to admit that Alex Smith runs into sacks that most QBs wouldn't get sacked on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakers211221 View Post
    We can't just look at sack stats. Some of those QBs have awful offensive lines. The 49ers do not. Any honest 49ers fan has to admit that Alex Smith runs into sacks that most QBs wouldn't get sacked on.
    Oh, sure. It's frustrating how often he huddles down for a sack before the pocket has completely collapsed. There's playing it safe, but there's a line of 'too safe' to the point of detrimental.

vCash
    I mean, Peyton Manning is one of the most immobile QBs in football today, and his sack rate is almost 1/3 of Alex's. No disrespect to Denver's line and Peyton's protection calls...but it would be impossible to think with 2 pro-bowlers on the left side, a rising star on the right and a steady veteran in the middle that we're so much less effective.

vCash
    That's why I want to see the sack times. Ive already said that I felt that Kaep was better in the pocket because of his footwork, but I want to see how are o-line ranks against others on the amount of time a QB has in the pocket.

#PoseyHugs #SanchezHugs

vCash
    Yeah, the "turtle down" move is one of the things I can't stand about Smith. He does alot of other things REALLY well, but in games where there is a lot of pressure he starts to get jittery or happy feet and in times when he could throw it in an area near a WR out of bounds or actually scramble for a short gain, he just seems to go weak in the knees and goes down. Maybe its the history of alot sacks he's taken, including ones that have led to his past injuries, maybe its a minor mental issue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by downsos View Post
    That's why I want to see the sack times. Ive already said that I felt that Kaep was better in the pocket because of his footwork, but I want to see how are o-line ranks against others on the amount of time a QB has in the pocket.
    Even times wouldn't fully tell the story. Sometimes Alex runs into the sacks when the pocket hasn't even broken down.

vCash
    Even times wouldn't fully tell the story. Sometimes Alex runs into the sacks when the pocket hasn't even broken down.
    Show me a video where Alex has ran into a defensive lineman in order to be sacked, because I have never seen this. Does he allow himself to be easily sacked instead of attempting a scramble? Yes, more than other quarterbacks do, atleast. But running into a sack is just a rediculous statement.

True MVP 49ers 2012

vCash
    If it felt like they weren't letting Kaepernick loose on Sunday -- here are some numbers that back it up.

In his first two starts, 10 of his 48 attempts were classified as deep. About 21% of the time. He went 5/10 for over 180 yards on those plays. Aside from yards, when you're apt to throw the ball 20+ yards down the field once every fifth attempt...defenses have to play honest...and it opens up underneath space for Yards After Catch.

In the Rams game, just 2 of his 32 attempts were classified as deep. About 6.3% of the time. He went 1/2 for 30 yards on those plays. In fact, 14 of the 21 completions were good for less than 10 yards including yards after catch. And the majority of Kaep's designed runs came in the 4th quarter.

Best to my knowledge, they didn't make the switch because they thought Kaepernick was better at running an ultra conservative playbook.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon11 View Post
    Show me a video where Alex has ran into a defensive lineman in order to be sacked, because I have never seen this. Does he allow himself to be easily sacked instead of attempting a scramble? Yes, more than other quarterbacks do, atleast. But running into a sack is just a rediculous statement.
    Unfortunately, people see what they want to see. The fact is that our line is built to run because they are far better at run blocking than pass protection... so many Alex hater's keep saying that Kaep had a great game against the Saints, but the fact is we could of easily lost that game had it not been for our defense and 2 pick sixes.

Alex will never get the respect he deserves. So I hope where ever he ends up, he goes to a fan base that supports the ENTIRE team and one that doesn't put the blame for 7 losing seasons on 1 person.

I guess it takes rocket science for people to see the obvious, that the 49ers struggled because 1. they lacked talent. 2. they had poor coaches and lacked leadership, and 3. Had a very poor scheme (vertical passing game w/a bad offensive line). They keep saying "stop making excuses for him for the last 7 years" when in fact, most of the bad numbers (1 TD/11 INTs) came in his rookie year, and that he missed the better part of 2 years due to injury.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chunj22 View Post
    Unfortunately, people see what they want to see. The fact is that our line is built to run because they are far better at run blocking than pass protection... so many Alex hater's keep saying that Kaep had a great game against the Saints, but the fact is we could of easily lost that game had it not been for our defense and 2 pick sixes.

Alex will never get the respect he deserves. So I hope where ever he ends up, he goes to a fan base that supports the ENTIRE team and one that doesn't put the blame for 7 losing seasons on 1 person.

I guess it takes rocket science for people to see the obvious, that the 49ers struggled because 1. they lacked talent. 2. they had poor coaches and lacked leadership, and 3. Had a very poor scheme (vertical passing game w/a bad offensive line). They keep saying "stop making excuses for him for the last 7 years" when in fact, most of the bad numbers (1 TD/11 INTs) came in his rookie year, and that he missed the better part of 2 years due to injury.
    Oh, where to start. How about the Saints game.

Yep - they had two pick 6s. We also gave them a freebie with the muffed punt on the 10. Take the freebies back and we're up 17-14.

Now consider that we had a field goal blocked, Akers missed one, and two of our punts came when we had the ball in New Orleans territory but opted the safe route of playing for field position rather than attempt kicks or play it as 4 down territory. There's 4 drives into their side of the field that resulted in 0 points on the scoreboard. How often were we just getting stifled, 3 and out, in our own territory? A couple times?

And now consider that with the pick 6's accounted for, we held a lead late. Sort of changes your gameplan, no?? Sort of makes you want to keep your offense on the field and run the game clock, no?? Like executing a 16 play drive that runs out 10 minutes, 1 third, of 2nd half clock?
    Last edited by GoBruins17; 12-05-2012 at 12:05 AM.

vCash
    But it would give us a better picture.

#PoseyHugs #SanchezHugs

Page 56 of 70 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast