Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who should the 49ers start?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alex "The Phoenix" Smith

25 34.72%
  • Colin "The Future" Kaepernick.

47 65.28%
Page 22 of 70 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NinerHomer49 View Post
    I think a lot of it is because most folks wanted the change in the offseason. I was in the minority that wanted the change now because I feel like SB windows are not open very long and something was missing that kept this team from putting distance between themselves and teams that are not currently in that window. I thought the defense was good enough to keep them in games if the offense made some mistakes so the mistakes don't concern me as much. Most of all, it just seemed like Smith had the ability but not the guts for lack of a better term. He "can" make those tight throws...he just won't. I don't believe in playing "not to lose" and that's how Smith plays.
    Sadly that is a learned behavior by Alex, I do not believe he had it coming into the league. But all the bad coaching, and constant change has taught him that mentality. Sucks but it's true.

And that is why I give the long term advantage to Kaep, as his upbringing in the NFL is not teaching him that. Circumstances can make a good player great, or a great player bad. I still believe that if Rodgers came to SF he would be much more like Alex and Alex would be more like him if Alex went to GB. But that's not how it is.
    "All we care about are wins, stats are for losers" - Justin Smith
    "We're the San Francisco 49ers. We can do whatever we want" - Jim Harbaugh

vCash
    Vernon Davis expressed how pleased he was to have Kaepernick as the QB, it was mainly because he was involved for the first time in a long while. Yesterday's game, he caught zero passes. Wonder how he feels today.

As a fan, I'm loyal to Alex Smith and maybe to a fault. But I still find it hard to swallow that a QB with the 3rd highest passer rating and one that owns a 19-5 record, over the last 1 5/8 of a season is benched or at least dismissed that easily.

Everyone's argument is just speculation at this point, even mine so let me speculate a little more. If it was Smith that played in yesterday's game, the result would of been the same. Kaepernick didn't win that game. He managed the game well enough for the defense to get the win. Yes, he was a game manager. I turn on radio and all you hear is how "great" Kaepenick looked. He didn't look great, he looked good which is something Alex has been doing since last season.

People love to compare Kaepernick to Alex, so lets compare. Smith did throw for 299, 3 TDs and 1 rushing TD against the Saints in a playoff game with Payton as the head coach. Kaepernick went for 231, 1 TD with 1 rushing TD and a pick against a Saints team isn't even a playoff team.

My point isn't to say Kaepernick isn't ready. Maybe he is and maybe he isn't, but the 49ers owe it to Alex to at least let him finish the season..win or lose. Then next year, they could work Kaep in as the starter during camp.

vCash
    Kaepernick can make all the throws is more ellusive in the pocket and more mobile. The more I watch the more I believe he can balance the office. Alex Smith while a highly accurate quarterback and team leader doesn't have that talent in his game. I love Kaepernicks charge of the offense and capability to use the downfield receivers when open. He also has a great feel for getting passes in in tight areas and I love the arm strength. The era of Alex Smith should end! This is not to say that over the past 1 1/2 seasons Smith has been a bad quarterback. But, he's not the best qb on the roster. With the various styles of teams that CK7 has faced in the past two weeks I believe he's proven he can beat quality opponents. (Knowing good and well that the defense is stellar combining with a run first team).

Rachel Zane: You're a sneaky little boy.

vCash
    I think what bugs me most is how Harbaugh handled the whole situation. I still think he should have used the concussion excuse as the reason to let CK play another week (yesterday).

It's clear to anyone who has watched the last 2 weeks that CK is clearly a better choice for QB RIGHT NOW. He is more poised and poses a bigger threat than Alex does. Of course that could change next week or the week after.

As much as I've been anti-CK (still don't think he was Harbaugh's choice, just the last QB who was left ), he has definitely impressed me these last 2 weeks. He makes throws Alex would never dream of attempting. He is smart with the ball and throws it away while sometimes Alex will take that sack. there is no doubt in my mind the last 2 weeks would have been closer games had Alex started and Alex would have quite a few more sacks.

For me, the jury is still out on CK for the long haul, however he definitely deserves the job right now IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nutty View Post
    I think what bugs me most is how Harbaugh handled the whole situation. I still think he should have used the concussion excuse as the reason to let CK play another week (yesterday).

It's clear to anyone who has watched the last 2 weeks that CK is clearly a better choice for QB RIGHT NOW. He is more poised and poses a bigger threat than Alex does. Of course that could change next week or the week after.

As much as I've been anti-CK (still don't think he was Harbaugh's choice, just the last QB who was left ), he has definitely impressed me these last 2 weeks. He makes throws Alex would never dream of attempting. He is smart with the ball and throws it away while sometimes Alex will take that sack. there is no doubt in my mind the last 2 weeks would have been closer games had Alex started and Alex would have quite a few more sacks.

For me, the jury is still out on CK for the long haul, however he definitely deserves the job right now IMO.
    Kap was Harbaugh's guy. It was more than just whoever was left. He fits what he wants, an athletic and smart quarterback with high character.

Slap Hands!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nutty View Post

He did. Didn't you see his post-game presser. He said the reason Kaep played was he didn't want to take any chances with Alex's injury. And, or course, he isn't addressing who is the QB going forward. It's Kaep, but I'm sure Big Cheeze won't believe it until Harbaugh sends him a certified letter letting him know

vCash
    This whole thing sucks, I agree with everyone who disagrees with the "the way it has happened" (Smith losing his job for now reason) but the ultimate fact of the matter is this: if Harbaugh believes CK gives us a better shot at winning the SB then he HAS to play him. It doesn't matter if in doing so he is "not doing the right thing"... If honestly believes that CK puts this team in a better position to win then that is the end of the story... he owes it to the fans, the owners, the rest of the team, and in some twisted way he owes it to Alex to do WHATEVER it is that will help us win.

vCash
    It's annoying that people are complaining that Harbaugh is not doing the right thing. The right thing is for Harbaugh to put the team in the best position to win games, not to appease the feelings of players. Alex is a professional. He'll be okay. I'm sure he'll get another shot somewhere else. If not, the 49ers could use a good veteran backup (not at his current salary however)

vCash
    The coach inherited Smith, he moved up in the draft to take Kap.

I think his loyalties will be with the guy he drafted even though Smith was playing well Harbaugh wants his guy not the guy that was there when he showed up.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government, owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.-Theodore Roosevelt

There's no country on Earth that would tolerate missiles raining down on its citizens from outside its borders.
    -Barack "drone" Obama, 11/18/2012

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakers211221 View Post
    He did. Didn't you see his post-game presser. He said the reason Kaep played was he didn't want to take any chances with Alex's injury. And, or course, he isn't addressing who is the QB going forward. It's Kaep, but I'm sure Big Cheeze won't believe it until Harbaugh sends him a certified letter letting him know
    And I'm extremely upset that Mr. Harbaugh did not send me that letter prior to this game, when I write my final review for Jed about Harbaugh's performance it will be noted!

I will be very surprised if Alex starts against the Rams. For now, until I hear officially otherwise Kaep is the starter.
    "All we care about are wins, stats are for losers" - Justin Smith
    "We're the San Francisco 49ers. We can do whatever we want" - Jim Harbaugh

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastSportz View Post
    Vernon Davis expressed how pleased he was to have Kaepernick as the QB, it was mainly because he was involved for the first time in a long while. Yesterday's game, he caught zero passes. Wonder how he feels today.

As a fan, I'm loyal to Alex Smith and maybe to a fault. But I still find it hard to swallow that a QB with the 3rd highest passer rating and one that owns a 19-5 record, over the last 1 5/8 of a season is benched or at least dismissed that easily.

Everyone's argument is just speculation at this point, even mine so let me speculate a little more. If it was Smith that played in yesterday's game, the result would of been the same. Kaepernick didn't win that game. He managed the game well enough for the defense to get the win. Yes, he was a game manager. I turn on radio and all you hear is how "great" Kaepenick looked. He didn't look great, he looked good which is something Alex has been doing since last season.

People love to compare Kaepernick to Alex, so lets compare. Smith did throw for 299, 3 TDs and 1 rushing TD against the Saints in a playoff game with Payton as the head coach. Kaepernick went for 231, 1 TD with 1 rushing TD and a pick against a Saints team isn't even a playoff team.

My point isn't to say Kaepernick isn't ready. Maybe he is and maybe he isn't, but the 49ers owe it to Alex to at least let him finish the season..win or lose. Then next year, they could work Kaep in as the starter during camp.
    The only thing that is owed to Alex Smith is his salary
    Last edited by miller74; 11-26-2012 at 01:58 PM.

“Just gobble, gobble, gobble, turkey from jive turkey gobblers”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by miller74 View Post
    The only thing that is owned to Alex Smith is his salary
    Alex probably "owns" more things than just his salary. I'm assuming he at least has a car and a house. We know he owns a SF Giants hat.

vCash
    Kaepernick has much much better pocket presence than Alex, to me thats Alexs biggest flaw

vCash
    It's annoying that people are complaining that Harbaugh is not doing the right thing. The right thing is for Harbaugh to put the team in the best position to win games, not to appease the feelings of players. Alex is a professional. He'll be okay. I'm sure he'll get another shot somewhere else. If not, the 49ers could use a good veteran backup (not at his current salary however)
    I agree. I think everything went downhill for Smith during the Giants game. He played like **** and he was the reason we lost that game. Right now a playoff matchup with the Giants seems inevitable. After playing them 3 times in the past 2 seasons it would be nice to throw a change up on them with Kappy.

vCash
    Alex probably "owns" more things than just his salary. I'm assuming he at least has a car and a house. We know he owns a SF Giants hat.
    all better now

Page 22 of 70 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast