Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who should the 49ers start?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alex "The Phoenix" Smith

25 34.72%
  • Colin "The Future" Kaepernick.

47 65.28%
Page 7 of 70 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NinerHomer49 View Post
    Smith looked good in those games. No doubt. He played very well. Keap was still significantly better. Smith made some great 5-10 yd throws and occasionally down the field when there was a busted coverage. Keap made some great 25-40 yd throws in windy candlestick with the defender close by. Pinpoint type throws. The offense looked energized. The pass pro stepped up. The WRs played scramble drill. The defense stepped it up. The ST corraled Hester like he was Arnaz Battle. It was just a different team.
    Could have been energized because it was Monday Night.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by STAT1 View Post
    Could have been energized because it was Monday Night.
    Yes...they could have also been energized because they all stuck their tongues on a 9V battery before the game too. You grasping at straws man.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakers211221 View Post
    Alex played well in those games, but there were a few throws that Kaepernick made last night, that Alex is unable to make and therefore couldn't look that good.
    I've seen Alex make throws just as good or probably better. Either way were good, but people are acting like CK got us a tie with the Rams.

vCash
    Yes...they could have also been energized because they all stuck their tongues on a 9V battery before the game too. You grasping at straws man.
    You're mad bias towards Colin. You made it seem like Alex's only completions were because of busted coverage and then they were only 5-10 yards. He dinks the short passes a lot but he can make great throws down the field too. For every good CK pass last night there was an overthrow to match it. It wasn't a flawless game. CK's arm and balls are bigger than Alex's and that's great, but don't make it sound like Alex is ****.

vCash
    I've seen Alex make throws just as good or probably better. Either way were good, but people are acting like CK got us a tie with the Rams.
    I've never seen Smith make a throw as good as the one to Williams.

vCash
    You're mad bias towards Colin. You made it seem like Alex's only completions were because of busted coverage and then they were only 5-10 yards. He dinks the short passes a lot but he can make great throws down the field too. For every good CK pass last night there was an overthrow to match it. It wasn't a flawless game. CK's arm and balls are bigger than Alex's and that's great, but don't make it sound like Alex is ****.
    Alex isn't crap. I said that very emphatically. But no...he doesn't make a lot of great throws down the field. CKs only "overthrow" was the deep one to Davis. The others that were long were thrown that way because he put it where if anybody was going to get it...it was his guy. That's how you be aggressive...without being foolish.

vCash
    Alex isn't crap. I said that very emphatically. But no...he doesn't make a lot of great throws down the field. CKs only "overthrow" was the deep one to Davis. The others that were long were thrown that way because he put it where if anybody was going to get it...it was his guy. That's how you be aggressive...without being foolish.
    Can't you make the argument that we haven't seen enough of Kaepernick to know if he truly can be "aggressive without being foolish"? That's my issue with putting so much stock in one start.

vCash
    Agreed being hyped for a game can have a negative effect on some if they cant control themself

“Just gobble, gobble, gobble, turkey from jive turkey gobblers”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leandres_sf View Post
    Can't you make the argument that we haven't seen enough of Kaepernick to know if he truly can be "aggressive without being foolish"? That's my issue with putting so much stock in one start.
    Of course. I'm not saying Keapernick is the next coming of Dan Marino throwing the ball or Roger Staubach or Montana with the late game heriocs or anything like that. I look at VD, Moss, Crabtree, Manningham, Williams, Gore, and Hunter coupled with Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Boone and Davis and see every piece in place for an elite offense. Why is it not elite? Something is missing and my opinion is that missing piece is the QB. There is no sense in buying a Ferrari with a driver that refuses to shift out of second gear. Just because you're D is great and your running game is good doesn't mean OK, let's just settle with a mediocre passing game. That logic doesn't pass the common sense test.

I'll put it this way...I wanted the change before Smith was re-signed. It's just taken til week 11 for you guys to see what I was expecting. Keap pushed the ball downfield...the offense rolled. The offense rolled...the D played loose and fast. I don't see how you guys aren't willing to risk it instead of the mundane conservative offense.
    Last edited by NinerHomer49; 11-20-2012 at 03:59 PM.

vCash
    IMO it's not settling for mediocrity, it's sticking with something you know can work. There's familiarity with Alex, you know what you're going to get, he's not going to lose the game. With Kaepernick you don't know, at this point in the season, I'd rather not make a QB change.

I'm certainly excited at what Kapernick can do with this offense, it's just for this season, I'd like to stick with Alex. I think the Niners can win the Superbowl this season with him. Kaepernick will have his time. He did show us a lot yesterday, I'm just not comfortable with it at this moment.

vCash
    IMO it's not settling for mediocrity, it's sticking with something you know can work. There's familiarity with Alex, you know what you're going to get, he's not going to lose the game. With Kaepernick you don't know, at this point in the season, I'd rather not make a QB change.

I'm certainly excited at what Kapernick can do with this offense, it's just for this season, I'd like to stick with Alex. I think the Niners can win the Superbowl this season with him. Kaepernick will have his time. He did show us a lot yesterday, I'm just not comfortable with it at this moment.
    I agree with this. We know we can win the super bowl this year with Smith. Starting Kaepernick will create a bigger controversy because what happens when he struggles? He most likely will struggle at some point this season due to his youth and inexperience. So then do we go back to Smith? And then what happens if Smith struggles? Go back to Kaepernick? The fans and media are going to be constantly bickering one way or the other. "Go back to Kaepernick! Go back to Smith!" It has the potential to become a revolving door of "who's hot this week" and we don't want that. Now Harbaugh may not let it get to that, but it's certainly going to be a very tiresome story among the media and fans week in and week out. And it could certainly be somewhat of a distraction, depending on how the teams and certain players handle it. We want ONE guy and we want to win the super bowl THIS year. So I'd go with Smith, the safer and sure pick for this season. We don't want another weekly divided fan base of "start the QB who's hot this week" where it's basically a 50-50 toss up every game.

vCash

Ok. I can understand you're point. One of the things that's ultimately getting me is that I feel like the Niners are good enough to go to the playoffs with Smith, but not win the SB. Kind of like the Chiefs with DeBerg. Good. Always there, but never good enough. For the sake of argument...let's say my assessment is correct. If that's true, then all making the playoffs does is give the Niners lousy draft position. If Keap starts...maybe he is that good. Maybe he explodes and the Niners turn into the one dominant team in the NFC this season. Or...maybe not. Maybe he falls on his face and the Niners finish 8-7-1 or something and pick in the middle of the first round. To me, a non-SB is a failure of a season anyway. Like I said before...the only difference between a playoff team that loses and a non-playoff team is draft position.

vCash
    Watching last night and watching Alex all these years.... based on 1 start from CK... the only area that I see Alex > CK in is experience. CK made all the reads, all the throws, even threw the ball out of bounds, etc etc. I'm sure Alex would have had more than 1 sack last night.

I would like to see CK start ... Justin said it best... "stats are for losers and we just want to win"... and I think CK gives us the best chance of winning.

I honestly think Alex can make a lot of the throws that CK made last night. The difference is, Alex never attempts them. He's too cautious. I liked that CK wasn't afraid to make that throw to Kyle or VD. I don't think Alex even attempts them.

The problem I have is.... what happens if CK has a Jason Campbell type game against the Saints. Then where do we go from here? It will be Singletary all over again.

vCash
    I've never seen Smith make a throw as good as the one to Williams.
    I remember him throwing a couple of gorgeous dimes to Vernon Davis against the Saints in the playoffs with the game on the line...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dulcetpine View Post
    I remember him throwing a couple of gorgeous dimes to Vernon Davis against the Saints in the playoffs with the game on the line...
    I also remember him throwing two perfect balls to Vernon Davis as well against the Giants
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

Page 7 of 70 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast