Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who should the 49ers start?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alex "The Phoenix" Smith

25 34.72%
  • Colin "The Future" Kaepernick.

47 65.28%
Page 6 of 70 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FNM BOY View Post
    Honestly guys...the popular thing to do...would be to let kapernick start...but out of respect for what alex has accomplished under harbaugh and for all the years of hardship he has overcome...i would still let alex start.....i do this because....it lights a fire under his ***...and puts pressure on him to perform...knowing that the moment he messes up...someone is there to take his job...i wouldn't just throw alex under the bus....yes and thats coming from me.....its good to know we have kaepernick ready to go!!
    Woah, was not expecting that from you. Kudo's man! Well said
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

vCash
    what i dont understand is why some people are saying "kaepernick did this against the bears defense" and act like that means kaepernick should start over smith considering the circumstances of last night's game (bad bears showing, on the road on MNF, hostile environment, etc)

Lets face it, the bears defense was uncharacteristically bad last and got punished in every possible physical matchup. The offensive line man handled the D, the running game was in full gear, and the 49ers defense just destroyed the bears offense....and all of this was done EARLY in the game, which set the tone.

Kaepernick had around 250 yards with 2 TD's and 0 picks, which of course would have been better if we hadn't been blowing them out. But let's face it, those are Alex Smith numbers (who also has his stats reduced because we blow teams out) and Smith would have more than likely had the same numbers last night had he played against that uncharacteristic poor showing from the Bears. I'm not knocking Kaepernick or praising Smith by that. I just think this "he did it against the bears defense" is irrelevant because the bears defense just got destroyed in every aspect and looked like the jaguars defense. I'm pretty sure the line/running game would have done that to them whether it was Kaep or Smith at qb. It's like what happened on MNF last year vs Pittsburgh. The steelers came in and were uncharacteristically bad.
    Last edited by tapajafri; 11-20-2012 at 02:14 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastSportz View Post
    Mid-season QB changes aren't really a good thing. If they were to make a QB change at the end of the season, I'd have no problem with it, but Alex Smith is this year's starter Kaepernick played a great game and I'm not going to take anything away from it. He made some great passes, but so have Alex. Everyone keeps talking about the pass to Kyle Williams. It was pretty, but lets not forget Alex has thrown some amazing passes when the game was on the line against the Saints in the playoffs. Remember the Catch #3?

Taking the Rams tie out of the equation in the Harbaugh era, Kaepernick is 1-0. Alex Smith is 19-5. Should there even be a question who starts? I guess there is.
    I understand your point, but in my opinion it comes down to a couple things. Winning is most important...I'm not disputing that, but I personally don't think that winning by 2 when you left 14 pts on the field is a good game. You won and that's great, but a game that close means it pretty much came down to 1 or 2 plays that went your way. Could be as simple as a single officiating decision. If the offense put up a good game and pulled the same garbage they did vs Seattle with only 13 pts...how HUGE would the ref giving the Bears a 1st down after Brooks' sack/fumble have been? All of a sudden it's a 6 pt game and a TD wins for the bears despite how dominant the D had been to that point.

We get pumped when Alex completes a 15 yard pass. Keap was completing 20, 30, 50+ yd passes in the first quarter. WRs weren't running free either. Keap was just making throws Alex wouldn't. The Bears started out with 8 or 9 guys in the box. Keap loosens em up and the Niners ran the ball. Only this time...they were running with a 20 pt lead and the Smith's (defense) could just tee off. The Niners went from a team with a good defense, solid special teams, and mistake reducing offense...to a team that is good to great in all phases.

Preparing for WAR! 5/3/14 Maidana vs Mayweather
    vCash
    That's just an assumption. The truth is that he could just as easily done poorly. And I don't think anyone is saying it's an absolute he should start the rest of the way, most are agreeing that if Harbaugh made that decision, they would be ok with it. At least that's what I have said. Of course I have been high on him since pre-draft, but as I said the other day, I trust Harbaugh, whoever Harbaugh trusts. Is it really a far fetch Harbaugh starts him again this season? I don't think so. And I agree, at the very least, we have a great backup going forward if Smith remains the starter.

But when CK is ready, whenever that is, I firmly believe he both is worlds better than Smith, and we will be worlds better with him starting than Smith.
    lol, please' top 10 p4p- Mayweather/Ward/Marquez/Pacquiao/Maidana/Rigondeaux/Froch/Cotto/B-Hop/Canelo
    Boxing fan? Come discuss Boxing!

"We are chasing greatness" Mark Jackson 3/7/14

vCash
    Honestly guys...the popular thing to do...would be to let kapernick start...but out of respect for what alex has accomplished under harbaugh and for all the years of hardship he has overcome...i would still let alex start.....i do this because....it lights a fire under his ***...and puts pressure on him to perform...knowing that the moment he messes up...someone is there to take his job...i wouldn't just throw alex under the bus....yes and thats coming from me.....its good to know we have kaepernick ready to go!!
    Interesting theory. Could have either one of two possible effects. First, he could decide I may as well throw because everyone's gonna want Keap if I don't. Or, he could get even more gunshy knowing at the first pick everyone starts screaming.

I agree that Smith will start and I want him to (for different reason though) so I guess time will tell.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakers211221 View Post
    I love Alex Smith. I always will. But, Alex Smith has never looked that good in a game. Kaepernick has to get the start moving forward.
    2 weeks ago at Arizona or Vs the Bills?

vCash
    It seems that even the people who are known to be Smith "haters" over the years are saying Smith should still be the starter. Reasonable thinking and logic for the team's sake this season?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by STAT1 View Post
    Smith looked good in those games. No doubt. He played very well. Keap was still significantly better. Smith made some great 5-10 yd throws and occasionally down the field when there was a busted coverage. Keap made some great 25-40 yd throws in windy candlestick with the defender close by. Pinpoint type throws. The offense looked energized. The pass pro stepped up. The WRs played scramble drill. The defense stepped it up. The ST corraled Hester like he was Arnaz Battle. It was just a different team.

vCash
    Why are people so concerned with Alex Smith's feelings?? This is a guy who has made more money than he will ever need in his life, and for a vast majority of that time gave this organization nothing.

Jim Harbaugh saved this guys career and is the only reason anybody even thinks anything decent about Smith. If Harbaugh wants to now go with Kaep and pull the plus, tough luck for Smith.

There was a reason last offseason nobody went after Smith except for some feign interest by the Dolphins.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by STAT1 View Post
    Alex played well in those games, but there were a few throws that Kaepernick made last night, that Alex is unable to make and therefore couldn't look that good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rcs15 View Post
    Why are people so concerned with Alex Smith's feelings?? This is a guy who has made more money than he will ever need in his life, and for a vast majority of that time gave this organization nothing.

Jim Harbaugh saved this guys career and is the only reason anybody even thinks anything decent about Smith. If Harbaugh wants to now go with Kaep and pull the plus, tough luck for Smith.

There was a reason last offseason nobody went after Smith except for some feign interest by the Dolphins.
    I completely disagree with that. Alex has worked just as hard as, if not harder than, any player on this team consistently for his entire career. It is not on him that we had multiple losing seasons. It was clear when Harbaugh came last year that our prior coaching staff's were the problem.

vCash
    He worked hard, that doesn't change the fact he gave us nothing.

Preparing for WAR! 5/3/14 Maidana vs Mayweather
    vCash
    I want to feel bad for Smith, especially after seeing the camera pan on him last night during Kaepernicks brilliance, but I do believe CK's untapped potential is higher than Alex, I still find it hard to believe that an overwhelming majority of the Niner Faithful are already ready to forget about Alex and move on with CK. Everywhere I go and no matter who I talk to it's "So when does Kaepernick start?"

Heck even Gruden said he likes our chances winning it all with CK.
    Last edited by lol, please; 11-20-2012 at 03:06 PM.
    lol, please' top 10 p4p- Mayweather/Ward/Marquez/Pacquiao/Maidana/Rigondeaux/Froch/Cotto/B-Hop/Canelo
    Boxing fan? Come discuss Boxing!

"We are chasing greatness" Mark Jackson 3/7/14

vCash
    I'm kinda torn on who starts, but Alex Smith's feelings should not factor into the decision.
    I have a ton of respect for Smith after what he did during the lockout without a contract, i also like his leadership and control of the offense, but whoever gives them the best chance to win should play.
    Sorry its about whats best for the SF 49ers not Alex Smith.

Personally id let Smith rest this week and see if Kaepernick can continue to have success not turning the ball over, and then go from there.

“Just gobble, gobble, gobble, turkey from jive turkey gobblers”

vCash
    Kaepernick may be able to do things Smith cant, but can he control offense and protect the ball like Smith can, thats the main issue for me.

“Just gobble, gobble, gobble, turkey from jive turkey gobblers”

Page 6 of 70 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast