Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who should the 49ers start?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alex "The Phoenix" Smith

25 34.72%
  • Colin "The Future" Kaepernick.

47 65.28%
Page 4 of 70 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I truly feel the start of a new era was ushered in this Monday night. I respect both quarterbacks, and both are good in their own ways...but Kaep has a skill set that incorporates so much athleticism, he's showing he can read defenses, he has poise in the pocket, and his arm is amazingly strong (combine that with some of the beautifully accurate throws he made, and it can be a deadly combination).

I think from some of my posts in the past people could sense I felt CK was the future, but I was happy to have Smith while he was being groomed. Now it seems like the future is upon us. I believe in the end Kaep will be the overall better quarterback, and has the ability to be elite (Something Alex will never be, unfortunately. Above average or good, yes. However, never elite. We all see the potential is there with CK).

Now, all that being said, I feel Alex will probably get the start next week (and probably should), but he will have a VERY, VERY short leash. If he doesn't perform, I can see the reigns being handed over to CK for good the week after next. In conclusion, this is a great problem to have. So happy to have stuck it out through all the good and bad with our Niners since the mid 80's. The glory days are here again!

How sweet it is, how unbelievably sweet it is! 2010 AND 2012 San Francisco Giants are WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by richiesaurus310 View Post
    CRAP!!!!!!! That's all I can say. He looked good, but playing devil's advocate the Bears didn't have really any tape on Kap. I think next season though will be Kap's turn to take over no matter what though.
    This might be the best answer I've seen in this thread. Even if it was the Bears defense, they were game planning for Alex since he was a GAME DAY SCRATCH. I'm sure they were game planning for both, but still. Not fully for Kap. If Kap starts next week, I wouldn't be opposed to it, and he'll probably light up the Saints as well...but I want the vet in the dome against the Saints. It will be louder than ****.

Quote Originally Posted by 1hardcore View Post
    The last TD he threw to Crabs was awesome.. He looked to his right and the bears D right away thought it was gonna be VD on a quick out, but they all underestimated Crabs.
    Kap got about 5 seconds to throw the ball as well. Alex NEVER gets that kind of time. The defense hasn't played like that all season either FWIW.

I just feel bad for Alex. What does this guy have to do?

I say go with Alex for the rest of the year, and UNLESS we win the Superbowl...because quite frankly if he wins the Superbowl why the **** would you get rid of him? Trade him in the offseason and lets go with Kap. Trade Alex to the Bills/Jets/Chiefs...you know AFC teams so he doesn't come back and bite us in the playoffs or division
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

vCash
    Smith will start this week. Harbaugh won't bench his starter for the last 25 or so games who is 26 of his last 28 with 4 TDs and 0 INTS.

However, it's pretty clear that it was a completely different team with Keapernick in the game. Downfield accuracy, explosive plays causing the D to defend everything. All weapons were used. Crabtree, Manningham, Moss (til he got hurt. Only neg of Keap), Davis (finally back), even Walker who still dropped a great play/pass by Keap (BTW...I would replace Walker with Celek). Smith will start next week and SF will lose to a hot NO team in a tough place to play. Then Keap will be back the next week and for the rest of the year barring injury.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NinerHomer49 View Post
    Smith will start this week. Harbaugh won't bench his starter for the last 25 or so games who is 26 of his last 28 with 4 TDs and 0 INTS.

However, it's pretty clear that it was a completely different team with Keapernick in the game. Downfield accuracy, explosive plays causing the D to defend everything. All weapons were used. Crabtree, Manningham, Moss (til he got hurt. Only neg of Keap), Davis (finally back), even Walker who still dropped a great play/pass by Keap (BTW...I would replace Walker with Celek). Smith will start next week and SF will lose to a hot NO team in a tough place to play. Then Keap will be back the next week and for the rest of the year barring injury.
    I agree with you...up until the bold part

vCash
    I am going with Smith because I think the Bears may a be a smoke and mirrors team. They are good, but I don't think they are an elite team.

Week 1 vs Colts: W 41-21
    Week 2 vs Green Bay: L 23-10
    Week 3 vs Rams: W 23-6
    Week 4 vs Dallas: W 34-18
    Week 5 vs Jacksonville: W 41-3
    Week 6: BYE
    Week 7 vs Lions: W 13-7
    Week 8 vs Carolina: W 23-22
    Week 9 vs Tennessee: W 51-20
    Week 10 vs Houston: L 13-6
    Week 11 vs 49ers: L 32-7

The only above .500 team they beat was the Colts, hardly a powerhouse right now. Beating up on the Titans and the Jaguars doesn't impress me.

Smith has earned his job, and in no way deserves losing based on one good game by a younger player (not taking anything away from Kaep, he was fun to watch and I am excited about the future with him). Smith right now is 3rd in the league in QB rating, and he is having an excellent year. He has my full support.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakers211221 View Post
    I agree with you...up until the bold part
    The Celek part is not so much an endorsment of Celek as it is and indictment of Walker. I know he's athletic and a matchup nightmare...but teams don't double him and the ability to beat a LB is irrelevent if he drops the ball anyway. He does a great job blocking, but I don't see anything he does as a blocker being anything that someone else can do.

vCash
    I do think one thing came clear last night - it's a SB or bust season for Alex. Kap showed he can win in this league last night, and while unlike some of you I'm not pulling Kap corn out of my teeth this morning I think he proved why he beat out Johnson for the #2 spot.
    "All we care about are wins, stats are for losers" - Justin Smith
    "We're the San Francisco 49ers. We can do whatever we want" - Jim Harbaugh

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    Kap got about 5 seconds to throw the ball as well. Alex NEVER gets that kind of time. The defense hasn't played like that all season either FWIW.

I just feel bad for Alex. What does this guy have to do?

I say go with Alex for the rest of the year, and UNLESS we win the Superbowl...because quite frankly if he wins the Superbowl why the **** would you get rid of him? Trade him in the offseason and lets go with Kap. Trade Alex to the Bills/Jets/Chiefs...you know AFC teams so he doesn't come back and bite us in the playoffs or division
    This is a good point and what it does is actually go back to something I said in teh offseason. Does the team "want" to play with Smith? I've never met the guy but from everything I've seen, he seems like a heck of a guy. My argument was do WRs want to play with him. Well, the WRs seem to raise up their game a little in this one. I could be for any reason, but a viable reason is that they may feel that they're wasting their time if their initial route isn't open or if the DB is still in the area. Smith won't throw it. They may feel that Keap will give them a shot to make a play. Good examples are the throw to KW and the first long one to Davis. The DBs didn't have what I would call perfect coverage on the throw to Davis but were still there. The DBs did everything right on the one to KW, the ball was just dropped in perfectly. Smith waits for receivers to break away from DBs or for the D to miss an assignment. Keap just threw the ball where the DB wasn't last night. Only one game...but a profound difference.

vCash
    The Celek part is not so much an endorsment of Celek as it is and indictment of Walker. I know he's athletic and a matchup nightmare...but teams don't double him and the ability to beat a LB is irrelevent if he drops the ball anyway. He does a great job blocking, but I don't see anything he does as a blocker being anything that someone else can do.
    Pay closer attention during the game to Walker's blocking in the run game. He really excels at it. I've noticed during games when we have a longer run, he's usually one of the key blocks. He had a really nice crack back on one of the runs in last night's game on one of the Bears DTs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakers211221 View Post
    Pay closer attention during the game to Walker's blocking in the run game. He really excels at it. I've noticed during games when we have a longer run, he's usually one of the key blocks. He had a really nice crack back on one of the runs in last night's game on one of the Bears DTs.
    I agree he does well. It's def the part of his game that he put a lot of work into and turned into better than just serviceable...but good. The crackbacks on teh DTs are actually a bad example for you to use. Those are indeed nice plays...but they're schematic wins and I can't imagine any TE in the league that can't smack a guy that isn't looking. In all honesty...I wouldn't want to hit a guy that big...but for real, KW who is 5'10" and 180 LBs maybe did it to a DE in Will Smith vs the Saints last year. Plus, on those plays he doesn't have to sustain any block...it's more like a chip and the RB is gone in a hearbeat.

vCash
    Going into the game most of us had Kap as a wild card at best. Noone knew what to really expect. Obviously I was impressed like everyone else. He made good throws but the 2 things that impressed me the most was his 1) patience in the pocket (you can't teach that). He didn't panic when the pocket collapsed and 2) His control of the offense. He was Payton Manning like the way he was reading the defense and audibling at the line. We all knew he was athletic and had a great arm but the "thinking" part of the job you never know until you put them in the game and see how they react to blitzes...ect.

I respect Alex, I appreciate what he has done for us and I think the one thing Alex is GREAT at is not turning the ball over. I watch the highlights and you see even the elite QB's throwing 1-3 picks a game. AS rarely ever does.

In saying that I would still like to see Kap go the next game. I know the Bears didn't have any game tape on him and that can play a factor, but I believe Kap has the higher ceiling. Besides it's just past the middle of the year, if Kap starts again and gets beat up, well then it's only one game and we would still be #1 in the division, on the flip side we could of found or franchise QB, to me that's a strong statement, as much as we have grown to like/respect Smith, noone really thinks he's our franchise guy. Though to play devils advocate to myself, you got to respect the W's and AS has been on fire the last 1 1/2 years.

Either way my vote goes to Kap.

Preparing for WAR! 5/3/14 Maidana vs Mayweather
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alleyeson49 View Post
    I truly feel the start of a new era was ushered in this Monday night. I respect both quarterbacks, and both are good in their own ways...but Kaep has a skill set that incorporates so much athleticism, he's showing he can read defenses, he has poise in the pocket, and his arm is amazingly strong (combine that with some of the beautifully accurate throws he made, and it can be a deadly combination).

I think from some of my posts in the past people could sense I felt CK was the future, but I was happy to have Smith while he was being groomed. Now it seems like the future is upon us. I believe in the end Kaep will be the overall better quarterback, and has the ability to be elite (Something Alex will never be, unfortunately. Above average or good, yes. However, never elite. We all see the potential is there with CK).

Now, all that being said, I feel Alex will probably get the start next week (and probably should), but he will have a VERY, VERY short leash. If he doesn't perform, I can see the reigns being handed over to CK for good the week after next. In conclusion, this is a great problem to have. So happy to have stuck it out through all the good and bad with our Niners since the mid 80's. The glory days are here again!
    This is a good point and what it does is actually go back to something I said in teh offseason. Does the team "want" to play with Smith? I've never met the guy but from everything I've seen, he seems like a heck of a guy. My argument was do WRs want to play with him. Well, the WRs seem to raise up their game a little in this one. I could be for any reason, but a viable reason is that they may feel that they're wasting their time if their initial route isn't open or if the DB is still in the area. Smith won't throw it. They may feel that Keap will give them a shot to make a play. Good examples are the throw to KW and the first long one to Davis. The DBs didn't have what I would call perfect coverage on the throw to Davis but were still there. The DBs did everything right on the one to KW, the ball was just dropped in perfectly. Smith waits for receivers to break away from DBs or for the D to miss an assignment. Keap just threw the ball where the DB wasn't last night. Only one game...but a profound difference.
    It seemed to me that VD and Crabs prefer Kaepernick.
    Quote Originally Posted by giantspwn View Post
    This is tough. I'd say Kaepernick for at least another game.

Alex gives a competitive chance to win at QB but is more a product of the system Harbaugh has put him in. There's no reason to believe Roman and Harbaugh can't do the same for Kaep.

Kaep can do things Alex can't. Plain and simple. Your looking at potentially one of the most athletic QB's in the league. All real 49er fans already knew this. It's a matter of him developing pocket awareness and the ability to read defenses which he displayed against one of the league's best defenses.

Now of course this is only one game. And of course Kaep's likely to struggle at some point. But if he's ready to play, his talent warrants an opportunity at the very least.

Regardless, I trust Harbaugh's decision.
    lol, please' top 10 p4p- Mayweather/Ward/Marquez/Pacquiao/Maidana/Rigondeaux/Froch/Cotto/B-Hop/Canelo
    Boxing fan? Come discuss Boxing!

"We are chasing greatness" Mark Jackson 3/7/14

vCash
    very nice problem to have!
    Knicks and 49ers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by giantspwn View Post
    This is tough. I'd say Kaepernick for at least another game.

Alex gives a competitive chance to win at QB but is more a product of the system Harbaugh has put him in. There's no reason to believe Roman and Harbaugh can't do the same for Kaep.

Kaep can do things Alex can't. Plain and simple. Your looking at potentially one of the most athletic QB's in the league. All real 49er fans already knew this. It's a matter of him developing pocket awareness and the ability to read defenses which he displayed against one of the league's best defenses.

Now of course this is only one game. And of course Kaep's likely to struggle at some point. But if he's ready to play, his talent warrants an opportunity at the very least.

Regardless, I trust Harbaugh's decision.
    I agree with alot of what you are saying here but why is it you feel it necessary to question someones fanhood like this if they have a differing opinion?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yeolde9erfan View Post
    I agree with alot of what you are saying here but why is it you feel it necessary to question someones fanhood like this if they have a differing opinion?
    yeah, I don't know how being a "real" fan vs a "not-so-real" fan has anything to do with Kap and his athleticism.

Page 4 of 70 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast