Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    6,472
    vCash
    1500

    Academic ‘Dream Team’ Helped Obama’s Effort

    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/13/he...pagewanted=all

    Damn iPad cut off my title. Anyway... This is an article about the team of social scientists that helped the Obama campaign. Thought it was time for some chest beating pride in my people.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    3,926
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/13/he...pagewanted=all

    Damn iPad cut off my title. Anyway... This is an article about the team of social scientists that helped the Obama campaign. Thought it was time for some chest beating pride in my people.
    I wonder though if the real meaning of voting is being lost in all the manipulation. Seems that the election process is evolving to smaller groups of people that are being treated as clients to sell to and less on the ideas of a candidate.

    It didn't say that in the article, it's just my own take after seeing analysis of the election....
    " I have only three rules, be on time, pay attention, and play like hell on Sunday"

    -John Madden

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    6,472
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by corralski View Post
    I wonder though if the real meaning of voting is being lost in all the manipulation. Seems that the election process is evolving to smaller groups of people that are being treated as clients to sell to and less on the ideas of a candidate.

    It didn't say that in the article, it's just my own take after seeing analysis of the election....
    The election is about marketing not about governing. The people who are running the campaign are very far removed from the people preparing to govern./

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    3,926
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    The election is about marketing not about governing. The people who are running the campaign are very far removed from the people preparing to govern./
    I get what your saying, maybe I'm just idealistic about it, but the election should have it's outcome determined by the ideas from the candidates, not what some marketing guru manipulates from a certain demographic.

    Some of the things they highlighted in the article had nothing to do with the candidate, just some action that would motivate them to vote because their neighbor did unless I misread....
    " I have only three rules, be on time, pay attention, and play like hell on Sunday"

    -John Madden

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,430
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    The election is about marketing not about governing. The people who are running the campaign are very far removed from the people preparing to govern./
    And this deserves chest beating pride?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    65,098
    vCash
    1500
    Its nice to think that the American people can't simply be manipulated like puppets on a string, but then again we all know these people and not only do I believe it but I would have called it quite frankly.
    Member of the Owlluminati!


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    3,926
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by GasMan View Post
    And this deserves chest beating pride?
    OP has a science background, read more before talking ish on other posters....
    " I have only three rules, be on time, pay attention, and play like hell on Sunday"

    -John Madden

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    3,926
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Its nice to think that the American people can't simply be manipulated like puppets on a string, but then again we all know these people and not only do I believe it but I would have called it quite frankly.
    I find it more than a little disturbing that we are trying to massage psychological responses from voters rather than the message of the candidate being front and center as the motivation.

    We get our strings jerked all the time, we don't catch them all the time....
    " I have only three rules, be on time, pay attention, and play like hell on Sunday"

    -John Madden

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    65,098
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by corralski View Post
    I find it more than a little disturbing that we are trying to massage psychological responses from voters rather than the message of the candidate being front and center as the motivation.

    We get our strings jerked all the time, we don't catch them all the time....
    As a society, we respond with far too much attention to this kind of stuff. With far too many people, I think you could distract them with your left hand and take their wallet out of the pocket with your right 100 times in a row. This is no different.
    Member of the Owlluminati!


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,430
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by corralski View Post
    OP has a science background, read more before talking ish on other posters....
    I could care less about his background. I don't see why anyone would be proud of an election victory predicated on PR over policy. I would like a government that was elected to do a job not tell me what they think I want to hear. You would know this if you read more before talking ish (?!?) on other posters....

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    3,926
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    As a society, we respond with far too much attention to this kind of stuff. With far too many people, I think you could distract them with your left hand and take their wallet out of the pocket with your right 100 times in a row. This is no different.
    As long as it remains as research I find it interesting, but it has now become the accepted (apparently) practice of political staff.

    One more reason to stay sharp....
    " I have only three rules, be on time, pay attention, and play like hell on Sunday"

    -John Madden

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    6,472
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by GasMan View Post
    I could care less about his background. I don't see why anyone would be proud of an election victory predicated on PR over policy. I would like a government that was elected to do a job not tell me what they think I want to hear. You would know this if you read more before talking ish (?!?) on other posters....
    You don't think that all sides are doing this. If you don't you are a fool and you will lose. Which is Good because we dont want fools in office. There is no chest beating pride. It's more about understanding why we decide what we do. If you don't want your politicians to understand human behavior than fine, support people who don't understand human behavior and enjoy losing.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    6,472
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    As a society, we respond with far too much attention to this kind of stuff. With far too many people, I think you could distract them with your left hand and take their wallet out of the pocket with your right 100 times in a row. This is no different.
    As a human race really... Inattention blindness is in all of us.

    www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahg6qcgoay4

    I show this in my cognitive psych class take a look.
    Last edited by flips333; 11-23-2012 at 07:38 AM.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,430
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    You don't think that all sides are doing this. If you don't you are a fool and you will lose. Which is Good because we dont want fools in office. There is no chest beating pride. It's more about understanding why we decide what we do. If you don't want your politicians to understand human behavior than fine, support people who don't understand human behavior and enjoy losing.
    Of course politicians are going to try to understand and exploit human nature I'm just not gonna be excited about it. And you said you thought "it was some time for some chest beating pride in my people." Which is what I responded to.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    6,472
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by GasMan View Post
    Of course politicians are going to try to understand and exploit human nature I'm just not gonna be excited about it. And you said you thought "it was some time for some chest beating pride in my people." Which is what I responded to.
    My people are social scientists. We get no respect from the science community... But we are more useful than most scientists.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •