Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    vCash
    For all those discussing the details of WAR...

A single number that presents the number of wins the player added
    to the team above what a replacement player (think AAA or AAAA) would add.
    Scale for a single-season: 8+ MVP Quality, 5+ All-Star Quality, 2+ Starter,
    0-2 Reserve, < 0 Replacement Level
    Developed by Sean Smith of BaseballProjection.com

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyen View Post
    No...we wouldn't even be having this conversation.
    We don't have a backup option for Lind yet we realize what a liability he is. Even if we didn't have D'Arnaud I think we would still realize what a negative he is for the lineup and the pitching staff.

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

This sums up every sports interview, ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nithanyo View Post
    I dont get all this love for Arencibia. I understand he is good with the fans but he really cant do anything great. Sure he has good power but the rest of his game especially his game calling and defense is suspect.

If TDA is as good as advertised and Arencibia(+parts) can get us anything of value you trade him in a heartbeat.
    Wow I haven't seen much love at all. If by acting like he has a chance to be an average catcher and not wanting to take him out behind the barn and shoot him means giving him love than I'm guilty as charged.

vCash
    ^^

We shouldn't be settling for "has a chance to be average" when you've got an elite catcher in the minors and are competing for a playoff spot.

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    ^^

We shouldn't be settling for "has a chance to be average" when you've got an elite catcher in the minors and are competing for a playoff spot.
    I'm all for TDA coming up and taking over doesn't mean I have to hate JPA and think he's completely useless.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    ^^

You mean he has the potential to be elite. D'Arnaud still has to prove it in the majors first. I would love it if he was the next Mike Trout, but how long is it going to take him to adjust to the majors (put up above average numbers) and call a solid game?

The thing is, AA has more trust in JPA than D'Arnaud right now... I'm not sure if he's comfortable with D'Arnaud starting the season after his injury. Unless AA is baiting the other GM's to show JPA is their guy in order to maximize his value, I just don't see him getting traded.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceUpperCut View Post
    I'm all for TDA coming up and taking over doesn't mean I have to hate JPA and think he's completely useless.
    Whether or not TDA is in the organization, I still believe JPA is useless and a liability for the Jays chances at making the playoffs. He's a below average hitter compared to other C's and a below average glove.

Quote Originally Posted by KidDraco View Post
    You mean he has the potential to be elite. D'Arnaud still has to prove it in the majors first. I would love it if he was the next Mike Trout, but how long is it going to take him to adjust to the majors (put up above average numbers) and call a solid game?
    He doesn't have to be elite to be an upgrade over Arencibia. If he posts a 700 OPS with D'Arnaud's vastly superior defence, that's already a win for the Jays.

And here's my counter argument to calling a solid game - did you watch the Jays pitching staff last season? Shouldn't Arencibia take some of the blame and responsibility for their ineffectiveness? The Jays have been bottom 10 in ERA since 2011, so Arencibia's game calling isn't really a positive here.

The thing is, AA has more trust in JPA than D'Arnaud right now... I'm not sure if he's comfortable with D'Arnaud starting the season after his injury. Unless AA is baiting the other GM's to show JPA is their guy in order to maximize his value, I just don't see him getting traded.
    Which is unfortunate, given that Arencibia isn't very good with the glove or the bat.

vCash
    Nice points Twitchy, if JPA was capable of calling good games and being a good defender then it's worth keeping him around but since he's not and we can easily find a catcher on the market just as good if not better defensively which is what we need for our rotation we should try trading him and improving more pressing needs.

2013 Mock Chicago Bulls

vCash
    JPA is lousy at catching baseballs, and at a position like Catcher, that's the deal breaker for me.

vCash
    ^^The deal-breaker for me is that he's bad at everything except hitting home runs

vCash
    Perhaps once Napoli and other catchers sign elsewhere Texas may be a little desperate ...

Buck + Oliver + $2M for Perez

vCash
    Quote from AA

To that point, he addressed the most telling aspect of his catching situation, explaining, “Right now, Bobby Wilson is an arbitration-eligible player, he’s out of options. We have a decision to make on him by Friday … I don’t see us carrying three guys to Opening Day. I think things can change.”
    Interesting...

vCash
    Im still holding out hope that JPA is dealt but I doubt it will happen.

I want TDA to be the catcher of the present and the future!! ...

vCash
    So he probably gets non-tendered. Meh.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009mvp View Post
    So he probably gets non-tendered. Meh.
    You don't see anything "between the lines"?

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast