Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Analyst View Post
    I would be really surprised if JPA gets moved. He's young, has power and despite what many people think, is a descent defensive catcher. He was weak at blocking and throwing out runners in his rookie season, but he improved significantly in 2012 and there's no reason to think he won't continue to get better. If anyone gets moved it's Buck. Maybe him, Lind and a prospect P for an upgrade at 1B/DH. Really though, we've got depth at a position that can cost you when you don't, so why mess with it?
    JPA has played in 242 games at the major league level over parts of three seasons. According to FG his defensive metrics for his career are -12.1. So, for his career he has been a below average defender. Now, last year he was close to 0 with only a -1.1 so it looks like he has improved even if one year is too small a sample for defensive metrics.

Anyone who has been on this site a lot knows I am a JPA defender. I think given a full season he has a WAR above 3.0 this year.

vCash
    I would be really surprised if JPA gets moved. He's young, has power and despite what many people think, is a descent defensive catcher. He was weak at blocking and throwing out runners in his rookie season, but he improved significantly in 2012 and there's no reason to think he won't continue to get better. If anyone gets moved it's Buck. Maybe him, Lind and a prospect P for an upgrade at 1B/DH. Really though, we've got depth at a position that can cost you when you don't, so why mess with it?
    Buck has no value, neither does Lind at this point in their careers.

JPA has some value because he's young and cheap with a possibility of becoming a better player in the future.

Trading JPA is the best way of extracting value from him, assuming that you think d'Arnaud is ready to come up afer a month or so.
    2012-2013 Offseason Shopping List

1. Starting Pitcher - Josh Johnson
    2. Second Baseman - Maicer Izturis
    3. Left Fielder - Melky Cabrera
    4. Starting Pitcher - Mark Buehrle
    5. Designated Hitter
    6. Backup Infielder - Emilio Bonifacio
    7. Replace Alvarez - R.A. Dickey (!)

vCash
    I don't know why people assume TDA is a lock to be better than JPA? Catchers take time to develop and JPA is three years ahead of TDA.

vCash
    ^^

You're right. Just because TDA is already better than JPA right now doesn't mean JPA won't end up better. Just looking at skill set is all, and TDA owns JPa in every category but power.

vCash
    If you're able to shed $11 million for an upgrade at DH/1B you'll be giving up one hell of a prospect.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by town123 View Post
    Just looking at skill set is all, and TDA owns JPa in every category but power.
    Against minor league pitching that is. I could give you an endless list of guys who raked in the minors and fell flat in the bigs (see Travis Snider). We need to stop comparing JPA to what we think TDA might be and start comparing him to his peers and realize that what we have is pretty good.

vCash
    if Napoli came here, Lind is gone for sure.

Napoli would be an ideal DH for us

according to rumours of course

vCash
    Against minor league pitching that is. I could give you an endless list of guys who raked in the minors and fell flat in the bigs (see Travis Snider). We need to stop comparing JPA to what we think TDA might be and start comparing him to his peers and realize that what we have is pretty good.
    is JPA even good compared to the rest of the catchers in the AL, or even the entire MLB?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by koreancabbage View Post
    is JPA even good compared to the rest of the catchers in the AL, or even the entire MLB?
    For him to be considered below average on the AL means there must be at least 7 catchers better than him. Can you list 7 catchers that offer a better combination of age, salary, offense and defense? I'll start the list with Weiters....

vCash
    Mauer, Weiters, Pierzynski, Salvador Perez, Avila, Carlos Santana, and Doumit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkefied View Post

No particular order, and many of these players are playing mostly 1B roles*
    Avila, VMart*, Mauer*, Wieters, Santana, Pierzynski, Montero*, Napoli*, Doumit*, Perez

JPA would probably be next on the list.
    Last edited by Johann; 11-20-2012 at 03:56 PM.

And by the way, those pants, they belong to my dad.And they're not really pants,
    they're Lederhosen

vCash

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Monkefied View Post
    Those guys are all good hitters, but Mayer, Pierz, Avila, Santana and Doumit are all weaker at stopping opposing runners. Doumit is a backup C/DH.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post
    No particular order, and many of these players are playing mostly 1B roles*
    Avila, VMart*, Mauer*, Wieters, Santana, Pierzynski, Montero*, Napoli*, Doumit*, Perez

JPA would probably be next on the list.
    Santana 99G at Catcher
    Pierzynski 124G at Catcher
    Perez 74G at Catcher (only played 76 due to injury)
    Avila 110G at Catcher
    Weiters 133G at Catcher

And then I put Mauer and Doumit on the list to make JPA 7th in the MLB, but both played Catcher more than any other position. Mauer 74G at Catcher and Doumit 57G at Catcher.

You could also say Russell Martin, Victor Martinez, who could take over for Avila or DH.

All in all, JPA is 12th in the AL in WAR according to FG and 27th in the Majors. At this point he is slightly better than a replacement catcher.

vCash
    I will be extremely mad if Travis d'Arnaud gets dealt and becomes the next Buster Posey.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by P.I. View Post
    I will be extremely mad if Travis d'Arnaud gets dealt and becomes the next Buster Posey.
    This is a concern for me too. I don't see JP Arencibia as being a special talent. I feel like if they choose to keep him, it'll be simply because they don't want to upset any balance they currently have with the team. I'd really like to see them aim high, and transition into Gose and D'Arnaud and replace the pedestrian status quo of Rasmus and Arencibia respectively.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast