Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...rs-added-to-40
    At the deadline to add prospects to the 40-man roster to protect them from being eligible for the Rule 5 draft at the winter meetings, the Mets have selected top prospect Zack Wheeler as well as right-handers Greg Burke, Gonzalez Germen and Hansel Robles, left-hander Darin Gorski and shortstop Wilfredo Tovar.

Players are eligible for the Rule 5 draft for the first time:

• If they were 18 or younger on the June 5 preceding their signing and this is the fifth Rule 5 draft upcoming, or

• If they were 19 or older on the June 5 preceding their signing and this is fourth Rule 5 draft upcoming.

Because Wheeler was born on May 30, 1990 and signed after the 2009 draft, he was 19 years old on the June 5 that year. This is the fourth Rule 5 draft since his signing, making him eligible. If Wheeler had been born a week later -- making him 18 that June 5 -- he would not need to be protected for another year.

Wheeler, 22, went a combined 12-8 with a 3.26 ERA in 25 starts between Double-A Binghamton and Triple-A Buffalo. He struck out 148 in 149 innings while surrendering 115 hits and 59 walks. Wheeler is projected to open 2013 in Triple-A.

vCash
    I did not realize Hansel Robles was eligible for the draft, but kind of a reach to protect somebody that has not even played in a long season team, then again is easier to take a guy like that and put him on the pen and hide him there over a guy who is a position player.

vCash
    http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/news/art...r_nym&c_id=nym
    FLUSHING, N.Y. – The New York Mets today announced the club has added righthanded pitchers Zack Wheeler, Hansel Robles, Gonzalez Germen and Greg Burke, lefthanded pitcher Darin Gorski and infielder Wilfredo Tovar to the 40-man roster, which now is at 39.

Wheeler, 22, went 12-8 with 148 strikeouts in 149.0 innings between Binghamton (AA) of the Eastern League and Buffalo (AAA) of the International League last season. The 6-4, 185-pounder was named to the mid-season Eastern League All-Star team and pitched in the 2012 Futures Game in Kansas City. He was 10-6 with a 3.26 ERA (42 earned runs/116.0 innings) with 117 strikeouts in 19 starts with the BMets. Wheeler posted a 2-2 mark with a 3.27 ERA (12 earned runs/33.0 innings) with 31 strikeouts in six starts for the Bisons.

Robles, 22, went 6-1 with a 1.11 ERA (nine earned runs/72.2 innings) in 12 starts for Brooklyn (A) of the New York-Penn League in 2012. He led the NYPL in ERA and finished the season without allowing an earned run in his final 45.0 innings while racking up 66 strikeouts. Robles, who was named to the NYPL All-Star team, was also a finalist for the MiLB.com Pitcher of the Year Award. The 5-11, 185-pounder was signed as a non-drafted free agent in 2008.

Germen, 25, was 12-12 with a 4.34 ERA (74 earned runs/153.1 innings) in 26 games, 24 starts between St. Lucie (A) of the Florida State League, Binghamton (AA) and Buffalo (AAA) in 2012. The 6-1, 170-pounder was signed as a non-drafted free agent in 2007.

Burke, 30, appeared in 48 games with San Diego in 2009 and pitched in Baltimore’s minor league system last season, compiling a 3-1 record, 17 saves and a 1.53 ERA (11 earned runs/64.2 innings pitched) in 44 games out of the bullpen between Bowie (AA) of the Eastern League and Norfolk (AAA) of the International League. The 6-4, 214-pound native of Camden, NJ, was signed by the Mets on November 7.

Gorski, 25, went 9-8 with a 4.00 ERA (62 earned runs/139.2 innings) in 25 games, 24 starts with Binghamton (AA) last year. The 6-4, 210-pounder was the Organizational Pitcher of the Year in 2011 after going 11-3 with a 2.08 ERA (32 earned runs/138.2 innings) with St. Lucie (A). He was the Mets seventh round pick in 2009.

Tovar, 21, combined to hit .270 (111-411) with 28 doubles, three triples, one home run, 50 RBI and 14 stolen bases in 122 games between St. Lucie (A) and Binghamton (AA) last year. The 5-10, 160-pounder was named to the mid-season Florida State League All-Star team. He was signed as a non-drafted free agent in 2007.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    I did not realize Hansel Robles was eligible for the draft, but kind of a reach to protect somebody that has not even played in a long season team, then again is easier to take a guy like that and put him on the pen and hide him there over a guy who is a position player.
    They must think highly of him. I can see Germen being a pen candidate.

vCash
    Germen, but no Rodriguez? I thought that was interesting, but given the fact that Armando did pass through waivers once, they probably think nobody will take a chance on him now.

vCash
    Robles is probably a top 10 prospect here, I didn't realize he was eligible, but he had to be protected. He was in short season ball, but he totally dominated, and has the stuff to go with it.

Burke I wasn't even aware of, caught me totally by surprise.

German I thought was on the bubble, but he does have a live arm, and pitched pretty well in the AA rotation. Could be a good pen candidate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by acerimusdux View Post
    Robles is probably a top 10 prospect here, I didn't realize he was eligible, but he had to be protected. He was in short season ball, but he totally dominated, and has the stuff to go with it.

Burke I wasn't even aware of, caught me totally by surprise.

German I thought was on the bubble, but he does have a live arm, and pitched pretty well in the AA rotation. Could be a good pen candidate.
    Robles a top 10 Mets prospect? I like him, but I have concerns.

I think it was a no-brainer putting Germen on the the 40 man over a guy like Armando Rodriguez.

vCash
    I absolutely love Robles, so I like that he was protected, just surprised a bit. Honestly I was more impressed with Robles than with Mateo from what I saw from both this year, Mateo just has a better fastball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    I absolutely love Robles, so I like that he was protected, just surprised a bit. Honestly I was more impressed with Robles than with Mateo from what I saw from both this year, Mateo just has a better fastball.
    Robles is more polished though, he's been pitching professionally for a while now.

vCash
    Really has nothing to do with how polished they are, I was just that impressed with Robles' fastball velocity plus movement combo. Also his change up and specially his slider were much better as the season went along. Robles mound presence was excellent as well.

Robles was a reliever last year in Kingsport and nowhere did I hear anything that suggested this guy had this good of a stuff, while Mateo was in the DSL and you were already hearing about his fasball/slider combination.

Robles may have been a pro for longer than Mateo, but his improvements this year while both being in the same league at around the same age was just more impressive imo. Still I rank Mateo higher because again his stuff is better.

vCash
    I'm high on Robles as well. I didn't realize he needed protection, but I'm glad they did. The 1 real surprise for me was not protecting Aderlin Rodriguez. I hope he doesn't get picked up by another team. He needs to improve in a lot of areas, but he has tremendous raw power. Glad they protected Robles even though he was in Brooklyn last year, you never know and he has a lot of potential.

vCash
    Aderlin is the best prospect they exposed, but he's also a guy who would be completely useless in MLB right now. He has no defensive value, so he'd only be useful as a power bat off the bench, and he'd probably be so badly over-matched by MLB pitching right now that you really woouldn't even get to see much of the power. He's only a candidate for a desperate system, with a team that has no chance to contend in 2013, to hide for a year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Robles a top 10 Mets prospect? I like him, but I have concerns.

I think it was a no-brainer putting Germen on the the 40 man over a guy like Armando Rodriguez.
    Robles was #12 in the NYPL, right alongside Nimmo, ahead of some pretty good recent draft picks like Jesse Hahn, Tyler Naquin, and Pat Light. I think that might get him into our top 10, though I have him right at #10, so I guess it's not a slam dunk.

On German vs. Armando Rodriguez, I thought both were possible, but German has the better arm and upside, I probably should have mentioned him. And I do usually like the guy whose still a SP in AA over the guy who has already had to move to the pen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by acerimusdux View Post
    Robles was #12 in the NYPL, right alongside Nimmo, ahead of some pretty good recent draft picks like Jesse Hahn, Tyler Naquin, and Pat Light. I think that might get him into our top 10, though I have him right at #10, so I guess it's not a slam dunk.

On German vs. Armando Rodriguez, I thought both were possible, but German has the better arm and upside, I probably should have mentioned him. And I do usually like the guy whose still a SP in AA over the guy who has already had to move to the pen.
    The thing about Robles is that he's been in the system for 4 years already and he hasn't even pitched on a full season team yet. I wouldn't put him in the Top 10 personally, I'd put him in the mid to late teens. His stuff seems legit so I wonder how hard the Mets push him, especially since he's on the 40 man now.

As for Germen, I completely agree. He actually had very good peripherals in AA and got a nice amount of groundballs. He seems like he could be a very useful pen arm. I can see Rodriguez being very hittable and HR prone in the big leagues.

vCash
    Here is a few guys the Mets should look in the rule V draft.

Baseball America
    Jesus Aguilar, 1b, Indians: A 2012 Futures Gamer and the Indians' No. 9 prospect, the 257-pounder finished the year in Double-A and has big raw power. He's limited to first defensively and dropped from 23 home runs in 2011 to 15 in 2012.
    Ryan Chaffee, rhp, Angels: The Angels left Chaffee unprotected last year, but he's more likely to be taken this year, as his stuff took a leap. His fastball now sits in the 94-96 mph range with good life and he throws a slider that shows flashes of being a plus pitch.
    Josh Fields, rhp, Red Sox: Fields, 27, has battled control throughout his career, but in 2012 he improved his delivery, regained his velocity (up to 97 mph) and sharpened his power curveball. His Triple-A experience and newfound success (78-to-18 strikeout-to-walk ratio in 2012) make him a likely selection.
    Marc Krauss, of/1B, Astros: Krauss has a solid lefthanded bat with the ability to hit for average and power. Overall in 2012, the 2009 second-round pick hit .271/.397/.491 with 31 doubles and 20 home runs. He's a poor but versatile defender at the corner spots.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast