Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 61 to 66 of 66
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,046
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by nithanyo View Post
    interesting question

    Halladay >> Johnson
    Burnett = Morrow
    Lilly = Buerhle
    Chacin < Romero
    Towers < Happ and friends

    Lineup

    C Zaun = Buck
    1b Overbay < Encarnasion
    2b Hill = Bonifacio/Isturis
    3b Glaus > Lawrie
    LF Rios < Bautista
    CF Wells > Rasmus
    RF Catalanato < Cabrera
    DH Johnson = Lind

    BP

    CL Ryan > Janssen
    SU Downs/Frasor/Shoenwise < Oliver/Delabar/Santos
    (missing a few relievers)

    The 2013 team seems better than the 2006 86 win team but how much?
    Quite a few once you add in this position

    SS McDonald<<<<<Reyes
    2012-2013 Offseason Shopping List

    1. Starting Pitcher - Josh Johnson
    2. Second Baseman - Maicer Izturis
    3. Left Fielder - Melky Cabrera
    4. Starting Pitcher - Mark Buehrle
    5. Designated Hitter
    6. Backup Infielder - Emilio Bonifacio
    7. Replace Alvarez - R.A. Dickey (!)


  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,321
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by nithanyo View Post
    interesting question

    Halladay >> Johnson
    Burnett = Morrow
    Lilly = Buerhle
    Chacin < Romero
    Towers < Happ and friends

    Lineup

    C Zaun = Buck
    1b Overbay < Encarnasion
    2b Hill = Bonifacio/Isturis
    3b Glaus > Lawrie
    LF Rios < Bautista
    CF Wells > Rasmus
    RF Catalanato < Cabrera
    DH Johnson = Lind

    BP

    CL Ryan > Janssen
    SU Downs/Frasor/Shoenwise < Oliver/Delabar/Santos
    (missing a few relievers)

    The 2013 team seems better than the 2006 86 win team but how much?
    umm...we actually won 87 games in 2006, and I would have to say there are a few other things either wrong or left out in the above comparison:

    1. R.Johnson > A.Lind .....Johnson had a slash of .319/.390/.479 in 2006. I hope Lind can transform back into that kind of hitter again, but I don't think you can say right now that Lind will equal what we got from Johnson that year.

    2. I am not sure why you compared the backup catchers and not the starters, but Zaun posted an OPS of .825 in 2006 with 12 HR, 19 doubles and 40 RBI in 290 AB's. That is better then Bucks career year imo, so I am going to have to say Zaun > Buck as a backup.

    3. If you compare the starting catchers, Molina in 2006 is likely better then what we get from JPA in 2013. Molina hit .284/.319/.467 with 19 HR's,20 doubles and only 47 K's in 433 AB's. JPA may break out this year, but right now I am going to have to give the edge to Molina and say Molina > JPA.

    4. I am not sure how you can say Towers was one of our main 5 starters in 2006 when he had the 7th most starts that season. no matter who you say though, I think Happ should be a better #5 so that comparison won't change.

    5. I would have to say I expect better from Morrow in 2013 then what we got from Burnett in 2006. Burnett only had 135.2 IP over 21 starts with 118 K's and an ERA of 3.98. I am going to have to say Burnett < Morrow.

    6.Like somoene else already mentioned, SS is also omitted. Jose Reyes > MacDonald obviously.

    so we have:


    Halladay >> Johnson
    Burnett < Morrow
    Lilly = Buerhle
    Chacin < Romero
    Towers < Happ and friends
    Ryan > Janssen (or Santos)
    Downs/Frasor/Shoeneweis < Oliver/Delabar/Santos



    C Zaun > Buck
    C Molina > JPA
    1b Overbay < Encarnasion
    2b Hill = Bonifacio/Isturis
    3b Glaus > Lawrie
    SS Mac << Reyes
    LF Rios < Bautista
    CF Wells > Rasmus
    RF Catalanato < Cabrera
    DH Johnson > Lind

    The hitting turns out to be pretty even, and there is only a slight edge in the pitching for the 2013 team.

    I think this team should win around 90 games in 2013. If we career years from a couple guys like Romero, Morrow and Johnson for example though we may win more like 95-100 .

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13,613
    vCash
    1500
    Do people really think Ted Lilly is on the same level as Mark Buehrle? Really? Wow...

    Gibbons reaction to the Adam Lind trade

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    TO
    Posts
    9,649
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    umm...we actually won 87 games in 2006, and I would have to say there are a few other things either wrong or left out in the above comparison:

    1. R.Johnson > A.Lind .....Johnson had a slash of .319/.390/.479 in 2006. I hope Lind can transform back into that kind of hitter again, but I don't think you can say right now that Lind will equal what we got from Johnson that year.

    2. I am not sure why you compared the backup catchers and not the starters, but Zaun posted an OPS of .825 in 2006 with 12 HR, 19 doubles and 40 RBI in 290 AB's. That is better then Bucks career year imo, so I am going to have to say Zaun > Buck as a backup.

    3. If you compare the starting catchers, Molina in 2006 is likely better then what we get from JPA in 2013. Molina hit .284/.319/.467 with 19 HR's,20 doubles and only 47 K's in 433 AB's. JPA may break out this year, but right now I am going to have to give the edge to Molina and say Molina > JPA.

    4. I am not sure how you can say Towers was one of our main 5 starters in 2006 when he had the 7th most starts that season. no matter who you say though, I think Happ should be a better #5 so that comparison won't change.

    5. I would have to say I expect better from Morrow in 2013 then what we got from Burnett in 2006. Burnett only had 135.2 IP over 21 starts with 118 K's and an ERA of 3.98. I am going to have to say Burnett < Morrow.

    6.Like somoene else already mentioned, SS is also omitted. Jose Reyes > MacDonald obviously.

    so we have:


    Halladay >> Johnson
    Burnett < Morrow
    Lilly = Buerhle
    Chacin < Romero
    Towers < Happ and friends
    Ryan > Janssen (or Santos)
    Downs/Frasor/Shoeneweis < Oliver/Delabar/Santos



    C Zaun > Buck
    C Molina > JPA
    1b Overbay < Encarnasion
    2b Hill = Bonifacio/Isturis
    3b Glaus > Lawrie
    SS Mac << Reyes
    LF Rios < Bautista
    CF Wells > Rasmus
    RF Catalanato < Cabrera
    DH Johnson > Lind


    The hitting turns out to be pretty even, and there is only a slight edge in the pitching for the 2013 team.

    I think this team should win around 90 games in 2013. If we career years from a couple guys like Romero, Morrow and Johnson for example though we may win more like 95-100 .
    Id agree with that.

    But i think for shortstop it should be

    Adams <<<< Reyes

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    509
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by nithanyo View Post
    Id agree with that.

    But i think for shortstop it should be

    Adams <<<< Reyes
    Oh Russ...a name that shall live in Blue Jays infamy.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,714
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    The last time we opened the wallet in 06, we looked pretty good on paper as well. This time some people are saying we're contenders? What makes this team different than 06?

    06 Notables - Glaus, Overbay, Rios, Wells, Ryan, B. Molina, Hinkse, Catalanatto, Hill, Hillebrand, Halladay, Burnett, Lilly, Accardo, Spieir....
    Much more leadership now. And a much more dynamic roster. This team's actually gonna play with some fire and not be boring as ****... I like it

    Considering these things, I think the big difference is that the 2006 team was built to win LESS games than their talent level, whereas the 2013 team is built to win MORE games than their talent level.
    Last edited by jaysfan4ever; 11-20-2012 at 07:02 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •