2012-2013 Offseason Shopping List
1. Starting Pitcher - Josh Johnson
2. Second Baseman - Maicer Izturis
3. Left Fielder - Melky Cabrera
4. Starting Pitcher - Mark Buehrle
5. Designated Hitter
6. Backup Infielder - Emilio Bonifacio
7. Replace Alvarez - R.A. Dickey (!)
1. R.Johnson > A.Lind .....Johnson had a slash of .319/.390/.479 in 2006. I hope Lind can transform back into that kind of hitter again, but I don't think you can say right now that Lind will equal what we got from Johnson that year.
2. I am not sure why you compared the backup catchers and not the starters, but Zaun posted an OPS of .825 in 2006 with 12 HR, 19 doubles and 40 RBI in 290 AB's. That is better then Bucks career year imo, so I am going to have to say Zaun > Buck as a backup.
3. If you compare the starting catchers, Molina in 2006 is likely better then what we get from JPA in 2013. Molina hit .284/.319/.467 with 19 HR's,20 doubles and only 47 K's in 433 AB's. JPA may break out this year, but right now I am going to have to give the edge to Molina and say Molina > JPA.
4. I am not sure how you can say Towers was one of our main 5 starters in 2006 when he had the 7th most starts that season. no matter who you say though, I think Happ should be a better #5 so that comparison won't change.
5. I would have to say I expect better from Morrow in 2013 then what we got from Burnett in 2006. Burnett only had 135.2 IP over 21 starts with 118 K's and an ERA of 3.98. I am going to have to say Burnett < Morrow.
6.Like somoene else already mentioned, SS is also omitted. Jose Reyes > MacDonald obviously.
so we have:
Halladay >> Johnson
Burnett < Morrow
Lilly = Buerhle
Chacin < Romero
Towers < Happ and friends
Ryan > Janssen (or Santos)
Downs/Frasor/Shoeneweis < Oliver/Delabar/Santos
C Zaun > Buck
C Molina > JPA
1b Overbay < Encarnasion
2b Hill = Bonifacio/Isturis
3b Glaus > Lawrie
SS Mac << Reyes
LF Rios < Bautista
CF Wells > Rasmus
RF Catalanato < Cabrera
DH Johnson > Lind
The hitting turns out to be pretty even, and there is only a slight edge in the pitching for the 2013 team.
I think this team should win around 90 games in 2013. If we career years from a couple guys like Romero, Morrow and Johnson for example though we may win more like 95-100 .
Do people really think Ted Lilly is on the same level as Mark Buehrle? Really? Wow...
Gibbons reaction to the Adam Lind trade
Considering these things, I think the big difference is that the 2006 team was built to win LESS games than their talent level, whereas the 2013 team is built to win MORE games than their talent level.
Last edited by jaysfan4ever; 11-20-2012 at 06:02 PM.