Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

What makes this team different than 2006?

The last time we opened the wallet in 06, we looked pretty good on paper as well. This time some people are saying we're contenders? What makes this team different than 06?

06 Notables - Glaus, Overbay, Rios, Wells, Ryan, B. Molina, Hinkse, Catalanatto, Hill, Hillebrand, Halladay, Burnett, Lilly, Accardo, Spieir....

vCash
    Umm, 25 different players is what makes it different. What point are you trying to make here?

vCash
    We are not spending huge amount of money on a Closer.

We are not paying for a .500 pitcher, who proved why he was a .500 pitcher.

We are not paying for a way passed his prime DH (although Thomas was still good)

EE is a better offensive 1B than Overbay.

Troy Glaus was our 'home run hitter' but we got more power now than we did then.

Reyes could be our best SS ever.

Bautista IS the best RF we ever had.

But the biggest reason is the Yankees are not the giants they were in the past.
    Boston will be in last place most likely.
    Baltimore needs to prove last season wasn't a one and one thing.
    Tampa Bay has the pitching but nowhere near the hitting Toronto has.

vCash
    I hate this revisionist history from the media and fans. AJ Burnett and BJ Ryan were not huge prizes.

BJ Ryan had one single good season before becoming a member of the Blue Jays and he was a closer. Bullpen players are not impact players. Playing a single inning once every couple of days is really overblown in terms of impact.

AJ Burnett had 2 reasonably good seasons before becoming a member of Blue Jays, and neither were amazing.

It speaks volumes about Rogers and the Blue Jays, up until this past month, that these were the standards by which to judge all off-season acquisitions during their tenure of ownership.

In the grand scheme of things, it was really an unremarkable off-season in the winter of 2006.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mtf View Post
    I hate this revisionist history from the media and fans. AJ Burnett and BJ Ryan were not huge prizes.

BJ Ryan had one single good season before becoming a member of the Blue Jays and he was a closer. Bullpen players are not impact players. Playing a single inning once every couple of days is really overblown in terms of impact.

AJ Burnett had 2 reasonably good seasons before becoming a member of Blue Jays, and neither were amazing.

It speaks volumes about Rogers and the Blue Jays, up until this past month, that these were the standards by which to judge all off-season acquisitions during their tenure of ownership.

In the grand scheme of things, it was really an unremarkable off-season in the winter of 2006.
    Speaking of bullpen guys and their one inning impact

Back in 92, we effectively played a 7 inning baseball game when we had Tom terminator Henke and Duane Ward
    Last edited by superfio; 11-19-2012 at 10:21 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by superfio View Post
    Speaking of bullpen guys and their one inning impact

Back in 92, we effectively played a 7 inning baseball game when we had Tom terminator Henke and Duane Ward
    Neat. Thanks for the breaking story.

Meanwhile it doesn't negate anything that I said about how a free agent bullpen signing is not going to make your team a contender. It is the most insignificant and overrated spot on the entire roster, unless of course you're counting utility bench players.

I'm not saying bullpens aren't important, but a single member of the bullpen is never going move a team significantly close to being a contender. To think BJ Ryan was going to do that was & is ridiculous.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009mvp View Post
    Umm, 25 different players is what makes it different. What point are you trying to make here?
    The only thing we can all agree upon is that the game isn't played on paper...so regardless of what the team looks like, they still have to play the season and then we see where the chips fall.

I know that's obvious...but people shouldn't count their chickens yet.

vCash
    2006 wasn't horrible. We were second in the East behind a 97 win Yankee team. We not only don't have as strong of a Yankee team to deal with now, but we also have an extra wildcard spot that we would have been contenders for.
    I'll be extremely happy with meaningful September games again, and even happier if we can have meaningful October games.

vCash
    That lineup is poo compared to 2012

vCash
    Two reasons for me.

Better core to build around. Sure we had the true ace in 06, but that's just about it. Now you have a couple of starters, a good DH, a great RF and a promisng 3B.

Better players this time around. At his worst, Buerhle is the same as Burnett was while he was here, Johnson's unquestionably better. And while there are injury risks, the same was for Glaus. And we all know how BJ Ryan turned out for us. The ceiling is much higher with this group of talent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    Two reasons for me.

Better core to build around. Sure we had the true ace in 06, but that's just about it. Now you have a couple of starters, a good DH, a great RF and a promisng 3B.

Better players this time around. At his worst, Buerhle is the same as Burnett was while he was here, Johnson's unquestionably better. And while there are injury risks, the same was for Glaus. And we all know how BJ Ryan turned out for us. The ceiling is much higher with this group of talent.

That's the point. Burnett was suppose to be way better. And until the games are played we won't know how any of them will perform.

On paper, I like the 2012 team better...but come this time next year, who knows what kind of season we will have seen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Krylian View Post
    That's the point. Burnett was suppose to be way better. And until the games are played we won't know how any of them will perform.

On paper, I like the 2012 team better...but come this time next year, who knows what kind of season we will have seen.
    Whoops, meant to say Buerhle at his worst is the same as Burnett when he was here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Krylian View Post
    This.

Reason for optimism in 2006 was we thought we were a starter and bat away from contention in what was at the time a 2-team race.

Reason for optimism now is a combination of:

- The fact that the division is more up for grabs than ever before (in the last 10-12 years), with Tampa and Baltimore showing its possible to breakthrough, and the Red Sox in decline.

- Excitement over acquiring pieces we sorely lacked, being rotation depth and bench depth. Not to mention guys who can wreak havoc on the base paths.

- The playoff drought that we've experienced

- The fact that we still have alot of good farm talent

But as people above have rightfully said, you need to play the games. As a Jays fan, I too prefer the 2012 team on paper far beyond the 2006 team.

vCash
    What Rotation is better?

JJ
    Morrow
    Romero
    Buerhle
    Happ

or

Halladay
    Burnett
    Marcum
    McGowan
    Litsch

I think its our current one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombtista View Post
    What Rotation is better?

JJ
    Morrow
    Romero
    Buerhle
    Happ

or

Halladay
    Burnett
    Marcum
    McGowan
    Litsch

I think its our current one.
    2012 has 3 possible #1 pitchers, a former but reliable #1 pitcher and happ.

2006 has the best pitcher in baseball at that time, a talented .500 pitcher, a good #2 pitcher, Mr injury at #4 and Litch at #5.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast