Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Should there be a MLB salary cap?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

52 40.00%
  • No

78 60.00%
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    there is more that goes into it than just spending. injuries, bad manager, bad luck.

but I feel that having a limit to what a team can spend would benefit the league and give every single team out there a realistic chance to contend. I just don't think you can say that now.

having the ability so spend more gives these teams a better advantage. how they take advantage of that isn't always the same. but that advantage is there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post
    there is more that goes into it than just spending. injuries, bad manager, bad luck.

but I feel that having a limit to what a team can spend would benefit the league and give every single team out there a realistic chance to contend. I just don't think you can say that now.

having the ability so spend more gives these teams a better advantage. how they take advantage of that isn't always the same. but that advantage is there.
    You forgot to mention bad decisions as well.

vCash
    [QUOTE=Captain Moroni;24392247]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Here are the main points

1. MLB has the greatest parity of any other sport by a huge margin

It is quite obvious that you have ZERO idea of what the word parity means.
    Baseball has by far the worst Parity in ML sports.
    this x 1000000

anyone that believes that MLB has the BEST parity of the major American sports has completely deluded themselves.
    Quarterback Class of 2004 1st Round starters

vCash
    To be honest, the best way overall is to have the Luxery Tax the way it will be soon, but have the Luxary Tax around 140 million and have the tax effective EVERY YEAR. In other words there's no way to cheat the system.

Nothing stops teams better than the idea of losing alot of money.

vCash
    maybe my problem isn't just no cap and teams having the ability to spend whatever, but how these teams more often end up with the better free agents.
    some type of restricted free agency might be a better option. but I don't know how you do that. if a young player is at the end of a contract to his original team, how can you make it easier for that original team to still sign him over another team? franchise tag? so every team has the option to franchise tag a player? I don't follow other sports for contracts and how they work, so I don't know how they are done.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Moroni View Post

It is quite obvious that you have ZERO idea of what the word parity means.
    Baseball has by far the worst Parity in ML sports.
    please explain to us how.

For example. In 2008 the Yankees for the seventh year in a row get knocked out of the playoffs. They decide that they are going all in in 2009. They sign not the top 1, not the top 2, but the top THREE free agents in baseball to humongous insane deals. Mark Texiera was the Number one bat on the market, CC Sabathia was the number one starter and AJ Burnett was number 2. Those three players pushed the 2008 yankees to a 2009 championship, bought and paid for. To see it any other way is foolish.
    Yet they did all of this while lowering their payroll, and it's the ONLY year they did this.

You can't just pick one off-season where a team managed to lower their payroll and sign three free agents as if this proves a cap is necessary to help baseball.

If the Phillies had signed those three...they would have won back to back rings.
    You have no way of knowing that.

had the Red Sox signed them....WS champs,
    Again, no way of knowing that.

And both of those teams couldn't fit those three on their rosters, especially Tex.

had the top ten teams in MLB signed all thee anyone of them could have won the 2009 WS. But the Yankees would not have won it without signing them. $$$$$$
    You are playing a game of hypothethicals that fits into the context of one off-season, and your hypothethicals are very possibly not true.

You cant tell me that the Yanks and sox, embroiled in spending frenzies for decades dont win because they pay for it. Since 1995 the Yankees have made the playoffs.....17 times in 18 years.
    And yet, since raising their payroll to 100 million, have only won one championship.

lets take a look at some other teams.....KC Royals, Pittsburgh Pirates, Houston Astros, Rockies, Orioles, Jays, Tigers, white sox, Indians, lets add up all the times they went to the playoffs since 1995...all together....probably doesnt add up to 17.
    Since 95?

25 times actually.

I can do this in the NFL and the NBA, you realize that, right?

Lakers have made the playoffs in 17 of the last 18 seasons as well

Bobcats, Grizzles, Clippers, T-Wolves, Raptors. 27 times

And do you realize how much easier it is to make the playoffs in the NBA? Hell, teams under .500 make it all the time. 16 teams, out of 30 make it to the NBA playoffs, until this year, it was 8 out of 30 in the MLB.

You can't just use the Yankees as the scape-goat. If you want to rely on the Yankees, then I'm going to rely on the Tampa Bay Rays

3rd most wins since 08, lowest payroll in baseball.

If you are going to single out one example, I'll do the same.

vCash
    i strongly disagree with how the new CBA is trying to deal with this issue.

Things will always work out in the end, but if you want them to turn out a certain way... You need to make it happen.

vCash
    A cap is coming sooner rather than later. Once contracts get over 25M per season for single players most of the owners are going to want one.

Also I know some say parity with no cap but lets look at the World Series Camps the past 10 years.

Giants - 7th - 117M
    Cards - 11th - 105M
    Giants - 9th - 96M
    Yanks - 1st - 201M
    Phils - 12th - 98M
    Red Sox - 2nd - 143M
    Cards - 11th - 88M
    White Sox - 13th - 75M
    Red Sox - 2nd - 127M
    Marlins - 25th - 48M
    Angels - 15th - 61M

Have had one team out of the top 15 payrolls win it and that was 9 years ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampirate View Post
    To be honest, the best way overall is to have the Luxery Tax the way it will be soon, but have the Luxary Tax around 140 million and have the tax effective EVERY YEAR. In other words there's no way to cheat the system.

Nothing stops teams better than the idea of losing alot of money.
    Exactly.

Since a salary cap won't ever happen, the points are moot.

But if fans want something to be fixed, then fix revenue sharing and the luxury tax systems.

vCash
    I'd say a cap of 135M (4 teams are over this number) and a floor of 65M (6 teams are under this number) would be a good starting point.

These player contracts are just getting out of hand, even more so with them being 100% guaranteed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    A cap is coming sooner rather than later. Once contracts get over 25M per season for single players most of the owners are going to want one.

Also I know some say parity with no cap but lets look at the World Series Camps the past 10 years.

Giants - 7th - 117M
    Cards - 11th - 105M
    Giants - 9th - 96M
    Yanks - 1st - 201M
    Phils - 12th - 98M
    Red Sox - 2nd - 143M
    Cards - 11th - 88M
    White Sox - 13th - 75M
    Red Sox - 2nd - 127M
    Marlins - 25th - 48M
    Angels - 15th - 61M

Have had one team out of the top 15 payrolls win it and that was 9 years ago.

Champions in the MLB
    Last ten years
    Giants - 2
    Cardinals - 2
    Red Sox - 2
    Angels - 1
    Yankees - 1
    Phillies - 1
    White Sox - 1
    Marlins - 1

8 champions over 11 seasons

NFL
    Patriots - 3
    Giants - 2
    Steelers - 2
    Colts - 1
    Bucs - 1
    Packers - 1
    Saints - 1

7 champions in 11 seasons

NBA
    Lakers - 3 (and won the 3 before that)
    Spurs - 3
    Heat - 2
    Celtics - 1
    Pistons - 1
    Mavs - 1

6 champions, 11 seasons

And one isn't coming, the players will just strike again, and the owners are smarter than to propose one again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post

And one isn't coming, the players will just strike again, and the owners are smarter than to propose one again.
    let them strike....this aint the 90's anymore. No-one cares for baseball as much they use to. See the ratings of the World Series.

That why they are making making all these changes to the playoff structures.

First -- One Wild card
    Second -- Then one playoff game between TWO wild card teams

thats why you are getting all these pseudo playoff numbers. Cuz Bud knows he has to get off his *** if he wants America to actually show some interest in "America's Pastime"
    Quarterback Class of 2004 1st Round starters

vCash
    So they are making these playoff changes because they want a salary cap to happen?

Or are you trying to say they are making these changes to save a game you are under the impression is dying?

vCash
    Seriously folks the Luxary Tax IS the salery cap, the problem is that you need to spend 189million dollars in payroll to reach it.

When the tax has stopped even the Yankees from going ridiculous in FA and trades you know it's working. How long this keeps up remains to be seen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by abe_froman View Post
    yes,its called the style of the game,it has nothing to do with salary structure.the nfl past baseball way before the nfl had a cap.be honest you'd still watch no matter what what players were making or how much teams spent
    The reason the NFL is most watched league is because out all the pro league's, it is by far the most bet on league, 20 weeks a year 100 of billion of dallors change hands, Any team can worst to first any year.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast