Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Should there be a MLB salary cap?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

52 40.00%
  • No

78 60.00%
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post
    sounds good to me. they make too much money anyway.
    this is actually something I would like to see some players do. take less money to play where they want. it seems like most of time time players sign a contract that gives them the most money. it just usually ends up the bigger market teams who can afford to pay that much.

I have seen multiple people talk about a salary floor. now I can understand this is likely so that owners don't just pocket the money and their team doesn't improve. but I would like to get an answer on I think how baseball could do this? I think what is likely to happen if there was a floor is these teams would just overpay one or more players to get to the number of the floor they need to be at. problem is then players who are better than the overpaid players are going to want to get more money and then be overpaid themselves.
    This is exactly what would happen. Or something like this:

The Sacramento Kings made just a minor trade at the deadline, getting Marquis Daniels from the Boston Celtics for cash. Daniels was injured earlier this month, suffering a bruised spine. He's not expected to play the rest of the season, and his contract ends at season's end. He gets the Kings past the salary floor.
    http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2011/2...wont-play-this

vCash
    sounds good to me. they make too much money anyway.
    this is actually something I would like to see some players do. take less money to play where they want. it seems like most of time time players sign a contract that gives them the most money. it just usually ends up the bigger market teams who can afford to pay that
    So if the Yankee's had the exact same team but only paid a total team salary of $150 million you would be happy with that?

vCash
    instead of creating a cap or floor they should just do away with the luxury tax, it doesn't serve it's intended purpose and it allows people like Jeffery Loria to make money hand over fist, i think he will trade Rickey Nolasco instead of paying him the 9+mill he is owed and then trade Yunel Escobar instead of paying the 5 Mill he is owed, that way he can get the payroll down to about 20 million, and with all the extra money the dodgers phillies and yankees are paying there will be no way he can't make profit, frank McCourt screwed up, he shouldn't have bought the dodgers he should have bought a small market team and ran it like Loria runs the marlins.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    instead of creating a cap or floor they should just do away with the luxury tax, it doesn't serve it's intended purpose and it allows people like Jeffery Loria to make money hand over fist, i think he will trade Rickey Nolasco instead of paying him the 9+mill he is owed and then trade Yunel Escobar instead of paying the 5 Mill he is owed, that way he can get the payroll down to about 20 million, and with all the extra money the dodgers phillies and yankees are paying there will be no way he can't make profit, frank McCourt screwed up, he shouldn't have bought the dodgers he should have bought a small market team and ran it like Loria runs the marlins.
    Instead of this, just get Loira out of baseball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampirate View Post
    I find it lulzy that a Salery Cap thread was made with the Toronto Blue Jays, a 'Canadian' baseball team is suddenly the big bad money bullies.

Toronto Blue Jays = Canadian Evil Empire
    As a Torontonian I appreciate this comment. We are the farthest thing from an Evil Empire. It's funny that you put the word Canadian in apostrophes though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clutchski View Post
    As a Torontonian I appreciate this comment. We are the farthest thing from an Evil Empire. It's funny that you put the word Canadian in apostrophes though.
    I'm from Toronto too you know haha.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Are you referring from the union themselves? Or from the league as a whole?
    Every different link I try has baseball with the lowest percentage. Reading the Nfl, Nba and Nhl cba regarding revenue percentage has the players receiving more than half the pie.
    The nhl is currently in a lockout because the owners are not happy that the players are getting 57 percent of revenues. Every league keeps negotiating that why should they get more than baseball. Baseball is always used as the model to make sure the cap isn't shafting the players.
    Last edited by mariner4life; 11-22-2012 at 03:47 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    This is exactly what would happen. Or something like this:

http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2011/2...wont-play-this
    Is this the norm or one of the few exceptions? Out of literally thousands of contracts you found one so far. I'm not sure 0.00000001 equals the norm. I might have added a few zeros too many there.

vCash
    not right now, the blue jays just started spending.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StayOnBoard View Post
    I'll never get tired of reading your posts where you absolutely own other posters Jeffy.
    Did you see us debate about Holliday? I owned Jeffy...the guy actually thinks Holliday is a good player. HOLLIDAY. When he brought up the numbers I just stuck my fingers in my ears and went lalalalala can't hear you lalalalala. I WIN. Halladay>>>>>>>>Jeffy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GasMan View Post
    So if the Yankee's had the exact same team but only paid a total team salary of $150 million you would be happy with that?
    but I really doubt the Yankees could get down to $150 with all their current players. what players would agree to take such a big salary cut? players just don't do that. most players want to be paid similar to players who put up similar stats, or even be paid more.
    I would love to see players be willing to take less money.

Velvet Sky. hottest woman in wrestling

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    There may have been more logic in a salary cap before the end of the bench guys were guaranteed half a mil, stars were commanding 200k/game, and aging pitchers were getting $15mil/yr deals.

The money issue in sports in general is far more complex than salary cap yes or no. The owners would LOVE to have less in payroll costs with the same money coming in. Are the Miguel Cabreras, the Mike Trouts, etc etc etc of the world going to be that much less interested in playing or be less entertaining to watch if the stars of the game are topping out at $15mil rather than twice that?

The money is being generated....and it's all coming from each of us directly or indirectly. WE'RE the ones that need a union. WE'RE the ones that would want a cap...but not a salary cap. Every time a player gets a bigger contract, where does the owner get the money to pay it? From the ever-increasing often-ridiculous ticket and merchandise prices. Why do you think a product that costs a company $1 to manufacture ends up with a $10 retail price? Because their cost to market/advertise it keeps going up...partially because some of the prime places TO advertise involve buying ad time/space from owners/leagues...who pay for their increasing payrolls by increasing their asking price from advertisers.

All that said, increased revenue sharing would at least allow for a bit more parity. People talk of small market teams being competitive, but there is a HUGE difference here. Small market teams go thru FAR more of a roller coaster ride. If they hit on a few draft picks and free agent signings, they can be very competitive...but usually only for awhile until they can no longer afford to keep 'em all. Then, unless they KEEP hitting on draft picks, they may follow a few strong years with a few bottom of the standings years. A large market team has the financial ability to never have that big downturn. Making the right moves WITH their available money is another issue altogether. As Ron White says, 'You can't fix stupid'

And no cap/ceiling/soft cap/increased revenue sharing should come without MINIMUM payrolls as well. Revenue sharing is supposed to increase parity, not be a case where large market owners are simply putting more money into the small market owner's bank account while he continues to put a $25mil payroll team on the field.
    There needs to be nothing more said because this sums it up perfectly. As I said yesterday, all you have to do is look at the 4 deals signed in the past few days to see why a salary cap will never work-- Johnny Gomes, 5 million per year; Hiroki Kuroda, 15 million per year; Jeremy Gutherie, 8.3 million per year; Melky Cabrera, Mr. PED, 8 million. Right there is 36.3 million spent on average per year for a group of guys who are in no way shape or form difference makers.
    PSD's Sheldon Richardson!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    Is this the norm or one of the few exceptions? Out of literally thousands of contracts you found one so far. I'm not sure 0.00000001 equals the norm. I might have added a few zeros too many there.
    I didn't claim it was the "norm" but I'm sure there are other examples out there. I spent about 30 seconds finding that one.

vCash
    Why? So the guys in the luxury box can get more of the $$?

vCash
    but I really doubt the Yankees could get down to $150 with all their current players. what players would agree to take such a big salary cut? players just don't do that. most players want to be paid similar to players who put up similar stats, or even be paid more.
    And I bet Jeter and Mo would have taken less money or more likely some 10 year low $$/year NHL style contract.

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast