Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Gortat Rumors

vCash
    ^^^^Yes we have to go and get a bunch of assets(picks, young prospects) or go all in and try to bring in a star via trade. We can't stand pat if we do we get the same result we've had over the last 2 years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by king4day View Post
    Well said. Our only hope to get a top pick will be to trade Gortat by midseason. We won't get a top 5 but maybe 7-10. Also keep in mind, we haven't played many great teams yet.
    True what im trying to point out is, with this team, i think at best, Draft wise is we pick around the tenth and from what i heard the draft is not that deep. I just want to see the suns get lucky in the draft next year. They,
    and we the fAns deserve it lol

vCash
    we need a top 2 pick this year, but i fear we will be picking at around 10-14. We will probably pick some spud and send him to the d league and then trade him 2 years later,lol

vCash

vCash

Gortat,dudley,johnson fo smith and korver

Think this would be a good trade with atlanta they can then put horford at the 4 and gortat at 5 plus they dont lose smith for nothing. Korver give the suns a shooter. Might have to give one of the laker picks but I would do it. You could also sub morrow or stevenson for korver. What you guys think?

vCash
    Hell yes^^^^^^

vCash
    Trading for Josh Smith is pretty much pointless now. He would have been great with Nash 3 seasons ago, but if we are trading Gortat then we need to get younger and look to the future.

Realistically, we're not going to compete over the next 3 seasons. Beasley isn't a franchise player so that risk has failed (I think I've given it enough time now to voice an opinion) but at least his contract isn't crippling.

vCash
    ^^^It does seem that way although we're not even 20 games into the season. The problem I have with him is that when he was in MIN he wanted to make every shot when he really shouldn't but now that Gentry gave him the green light he's being passive. All of this ghas to do with the reputation he's gained. Good thing, like you mentioned, is that his contract aint crippling and he still has all of this season(and PROBABLY next ) to find himself. Worst case scenario he keeps this up and we get a high pick. The real issue though is Gentry. How do you have your 9 million dollar pg sit the 4th quarter of games. That is a horrible investment if you ask me, in terms of pt thatvis bevause I love the dragon as our pg. Anyways I want to see Beasley demand the ball as well as Dragic. I'm tired of seeing Brown go Kobe for certain periods. Anyways J-smoove would be a good pick n roll partner for Dragic. I know he isn't Nash and Smith aint Stat(04-10) buthe would go waaaaay harder at then rim than what Gortat does. And if Korver is added to the deal .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mdm692 View Post
    ^^^It does seem that way although we're not even 20 games into the season. The problem I have with him is that when he was in MIN he wanted to make every shot when he really shouldn't but now that Gentry gave him the green light he's being passive. All of this ghas to do with the reputation he's gained. Good thing, like you mentioned, is that his contract aint crippling and he still has all of this season(and PROBABLY next ) to find himself. Worst case scenario he keeps this up and we get a high pick. The real issue though is Gentry. How do you have your 9 million dollar pg sit the 4th quarter of games. That is a horrible investment if you ask me, in terms of pt thatvis bevause I love the dragon as our pg. Anyways I want to see Beasley demand the ball as well as Dragic. I'm tired of seeing Brown go Kobe for certain periods. Anyways J-smoove would be a good pick n roll partner for Dragic. I know he isn't Nash and Smith aint Stat(04-10) buthe would go waaaaay harder at then rim than what Gortat does. And if Korver is added to the deal .
    I agree that Gentry should play Dragic more. IMO he should be our top scorer, and #1 scoring option (out of the current roster).

Beasley just isn't an efficient scorer. He has so much talent, but he's either stupid or lazy (or both), and continues to make bad decisions on offense the majority of the time. Whether he passes or shoots, he has a negative impact on the court. He chooses low percentage options which are great to watch when they come off, but most of the time they don't.

Dragic & Josh Smith PnR, and the addition of Korver isn't going to make us a contender. It will make it less likely that we'll get a top lottery pick though (which I think we're all sick of).

vCash
    LOTTERY! Exactly what it says...a freaking gamble! You fellas want to trade a given player with better than average skill set for a CHANCE to get a player in the draft that MIGHT turn into a NBA upper echelon guy. That to me is just like playing russian roulette. If you're gonna trade trade for a given player with a track record you want. The Suns record on draft picks that made and stayed on the club is horrid. Even the ones that got traded away didn't amount to much if anything. Getting, say a top 5 pick isn't a guarantee of anything. Look at how many top 5 picks never amounted to anything or very little. If you're bound and determined to push out a very servicable player like Gortat then get someone that will make a positive impact as you're giving up a better than average center in this league.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_FrozenNetsFan View Post
    LOTTERY! Exactly what it says...a freaking gamble! You fellas want to trade a given player with better than average skill set for a CHANCE to get a player in the draft that MIGHT turn into a NBA upper echelon guy. That to me is just like playing russian roulette. If you're gonna trade trade for a given player with a track record you want. The Suns record on draft picks that made and stayed on the club is horrid. Even the ones that got traded away didn't amount to much if anything. Getting, say a top 5 pick isn't a guarantee of anything. Look at how many top 5 picks never amounted to anything or very little. If you're bound and determined to push out a very servicable player like Gortat then get someone that will make a positive impact as you're giving up a better than average center in this league.
    its because the Suns always have middle-of-the-pack picks

vCash

I guess my point didn't win yoiu over?

You are willing to take a CHANCE that MAYBE you get a high draft pick and MAYBE it turns out to be a really good player? I sure don't like the odds.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky4104 View Post
    its because the Suns always have middle-of-the-pack picks

vCash
    You are willing to take a CHANCE that MAYBE you get a high draft pick and MAYBE it turns out to be a really good player? I sure don't like the odds.
    Honestly, yes, I wouldn't be against it.

The options are:

We keep Gortat:

Best case: We somehow find a star player in FA and get lucky without our late lottery pick. We get to the play-offs but don't quite have the fire-power to get us out the first/second round. Gortat decides to stay for a pay-rise and we try again next year.

Worst case:

We stay as a middling team with no real direction. Getting to the play-offs is our goal every year and we fall short. Gortat leaves for a big pay-day else where and we're left with nothing. Essentially we delayed a much needed rebuild by 2-3 years and we didn't take advantage of our assets when we should have.

We trade Gortat:

Best case: We get a decent lottery pick for him or we get a late mid-1st and use other picks/assets to trade into lottery. We use that pick on draft night and the player is a gem. We also use our own lottery pick to draft another great young player. We trade our other picks along with a player to bring in a young vet with potential. We let them grow and/or use as assets if an opportunity to grab someone special arises. We'd also have cap flexability to sign a good FA to a large contract.

Worst case: None of our picks make a big impact in their rookie years and don't look like they're anything special. Oh well, we have another bad season and draft again next year. We'd still have young players who were recent lottery picks and therefore still have trade value if needed and we have another chance to try again in 1 short year. We still have the cap flexability to sign a max player. Repeat that process untill we get a hit in the draft or make a splash through FA/Trades.

While these are hypotheticals, trading Gortat clearly gives us a better chance at rebuilding our team now into something special.
    Last edited by Huntey; 12-03-2012 at 04:40 PM.

vCash
    ^^ Fair nuff...I can see the logic and I might not be totally bummed on a Gortat trade if they don't get skinned alive on the deal.

vCash
    That attitude will keep the Suns middle of the pack for all eternity. Other teams aren’t going to gift us stars for our scrubs. We're not the Lakers.

Search back through some of my posts a year ago to see that I’ve proven that nearly every NBA Championship team over the last 30 years built their team through the Draft either by keeping and developing their picks or trading top picks for established superstars.

N.B. I'm not calling Gortat a scrub, but trading him for a player of similar ability isn't going to transform us into a contender.
    Last edited by Bishnoff; 12-03-2012 at 05:03 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast