Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Wheeler+Tapia for Myers

Get it done Terry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    Wheeler+Tapia for Myers

Get it done Terry
    I rather keep our prospects/young players than trade for Myers. I understand top 10 prospects rarely bust, but it seems like trading for him wouldn't make us noticeably better long term or short term.

The supposed strength of this team is the young starting pitching, moving Niese; Harvey, and/or Wheeler for a Myers or D'Arnaud would be equivalent of selling your house to get a car(sure you can now get around, but where will you live?). I say this, since we have 2 maybe 3(assuming Gee rebounds from his injury) pitchers we can rely on. To win in this league, you need at least 5 or more decent starting pitchers that give you a chance to win. Right now the Mets have at best 3 of the 5 pitchers needed, as they're hoping that Harvey and Wheeler can be the final 2 guys to fill that rotation.

Unless we're moving Harvey or Wheeler for an above average young outfielder and have plans on adding a few SP's to fill the void left by losing Wheeler/Harvey, than it's pointless to consider moving our young players for Myers. This team has too many holes and nothing will fix it outside of spending now or rebuilding, that's why moving the vets(Wright, Dickey) is the only solution for the Mets.
    For the best sports gifs and memes visit
    http://aviewfromthebleachers.tumblr.com/

vCash
    I don't want to give up Wheeler. Santana doesn't have much left and if we keep Dickey it will only be for 2 years. Now your 1 and 2 starters are gone. Dickey or Niese with others if you have to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    I don't want to give up Wheeler. Santana doesn't have much left and if we keep Dickey it will only be for 2 years. Now your 1 and 2 starters are gone. Dickey or Niese with others if you have to.
    It's about needs, the Mets have arms in their minor league system.

Guys like Mateo, Montero, Fulmer, Tapia, Robles, Lara, etc etc. It's early and some are further away than others but the Mets are predominantly pitching rich.

If they need to part with Wheeler to get a guy who had a combined over 1.000 OPS, 37 homers in AA and AAA (2nd in the minors in home runs last year at 21 years old) and can play CF, i think we need to make that move.

The Mets desperately need offense especially from the OF and there are no major OF on the horizon in FA till Justin Upton is one in 2015.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-25-2012 at 03:50 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    It's about needs, the Mets have arms in their minor league system.

Guys like Mateo, Montero, Fulmer, Tapia, Robles, Lara, etc etc. It's early and some are further away than others but the Mets are predominantly pitching rich.

If they need to part with Wheeler to get a guy who had a combined over 1.000 OPS, 37 homers in AA and AAA (2nd in the minors in home runs last year at 21 years old) and can play CF, i think we need to make that move.

The Mets desperately need offense especially from the OF and there are no major OF on the horizon in FA till Justin Upton is one in 2015.
    I guess, but I dunno... I feel like you have such a SWEET (and relatively cheap) rotation on your hands for the future here, why even mess w/it?

2014:

Dickey (if re-signed, #1 type pitcher perhaps)
    Wheeler (#1/#2 type pitcher)
    Harvey (#1/#2 type pitcher)
    Niese (#3 type pitcher - and a lefty to boot!)
    Gee and all of our minor leaguers competing for the #5.

So potentially 3 studs there, with very high quality competition at the #4 and #5 spots. And that is not the best case scenario, the best case scenario is that one of our prospects bumps Niese down to the #5 spot (quite possible). Hot damn, we're loaded.

Now to add to this in 2014, you also have a boat load of money to spend on FA batters. I love it.

Maybe if anything, I see potentially dealing Dickey to get a little younger, bump up Wheeler and Harvey and sure up the back end with our current prospects... while prospects from a Dickey trade deal - hopefully batters - arrive around 2015.
    Sandy Alderson says Mets' 2014 payroll will be more than $87 million
    (11/19/2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    Payroll is $85 million this year. It was $85 million last year.
    (05/27/14)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    I don't think we're that far away.
    (6 games under .500 before June. Not that far away from what?)

vCash
    Yea but it is a lot easier to find a power hitting OF in the draft or through FA than it is to find someone with Wheelers potential. Niese or Dickey should be the one to go with others. With the way this rotation may look like in a few years we will need front line starters.

Also we still don't know what we have in Harvey yet. He could hit a brick wall next year and never bounce back. If he had a few really good seasons under his belt I would be more inclined to trade Wheeler.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    I guess, but I dunno... I feel like you have such a SWEET (and relatively cheap) rotation on your hands for the future here, why even mess w/it?

2014:

Dickey (if re-signed, #1 type pitcher perhaps)
    Wheeler (#1/#2 type pitcher)
    Harvey (#1/#2 type pitcher)
    Niese (#3 type pitcher - and a lefty to boot!)
    Gee and all of our minor leaguers competing for the #5.

So potentially 3 studs there, with very high quality competition at the #4 and #5 spots. And that is not the best case scenario, the best case scenario is that one of our prospects bumps Niese down to the #5 spot (quite possible). Hot damn, we're loaded.
    Where is the hitting coming from?

I don't buy Lucas Duda at the plate (and in the field ), Kirk hasn't proven he can hit consistently yet, and Baxter is not an everyday RF.

Our OF might be the worst in baseball.

I love that rotation too but sometimes you need to deal from a position of strength and the only perceived position of strength on this team is the SP currently and their prospective SP down the line.

I really don't want to deal Wheeler either but if a guy like Wil Myers is out there, its a pretty straight up deal that addresses a major issue of ours.

We need bats desperately and considering they aren't going the FA route this offseason it might be one of our few options.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-25-2012 at 04:15 AM.

vCash
    Yea but it is a lot easier to find a power hitting OF in the draft or through FA than it is to find someone with Wheelers potential. Niese or Dickey should be the one to go with others. With the way this rotation may look like in a few years we will need front line starters.

Also we still don't know what we have in Harvey yet. He could hit a brick wall next year and never bounce back. If he had a few really good seasons under his belt I would be more inclined to trade Wheeler.
    Fair enough, but the Mets have arms.

And guys with Myer's hitting potential aren't a dime a dozen.

I would tend to agree with you more if there were a cornerstone OF out there in FA in the next two years but sadly there isn't.

Upton is a FA in 2015 and suffice to say i am not a huge fan of his, and then Heyward is a FA in 2016 but that's quite a ways away.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/0...ee-agents.html

There are pieces out there but no franchise type OFs available in 2014 (which Myers has the potential to be) which is why i would pull the trigger on a deal like that.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-25-2012 at 04:36 AM.

vCash
    Saying that, i don't see it happening mainly because that's Alderson's only prospect piece to date (who can make an immediate impact next year) and i doubt he deals him even for Myers.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-25-2012 at 04:33 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    I'd say Wheeler + a young arm/bat would be fair.
    Def the best sig on PSD I have ever seen. Drake and Josh was the ****.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Saying that, i don't see it happening mainly because that's Alderson's only prospect piece to date (who can make an immediate impact next year) and i doubt he deals him even for Myers.

His only accomplishment in 2 years.

vCash
    If we have to give up Wheeler or Harvey for Myers, I say dont do it. I think a future rotation of Wheeler-Harvey-Dickey-Niese-Gee can be a dominant one that can take us to the playoffs even without that good of an offense.

With that being said we also have young arms in Mejia, Familia, Fulmer, Mateo, Tapia, Montero and Mazzoni.

It would be awesome if we can package Johan + Wilmer Flores for a nice bat....Flores has no position to play on this team, better off trading him.

Also there are some nice FA bats for 2014: Ellsbury, Granderson, Chris Young, Choo, Nelson Cruz, Corey Hart, Hunter Pence and Brian McCann.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BradHolt4CYoung View Post
    Def the best sig on PSD I have ever seen. Drake and Josh was the ****.
    Thanks hahaha

East Flatbush to Canarsie to Roselle park
    vCash

We've had more pitching, than power hitting outfielders over the years.

Year after year we are searching for that outfielder, since the 80's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    Wheeler+Tapia for Myers

Get it done Terry
    Wheeler should get it done all by himself, but I would keep Wheeler.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast