Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Has Leonard Johnson earned the right to start next year?

Now for the last two years. I have felt that our talent on defense has been built for a 3-4 defense.

To show you my idea.

FS - Barber/Black
    SS - Barron
    CB - Wright/ Johnson / Biggers
    OLB - Bowers/Bennet
    ILB - David / Foster
    DE - Claiborne / McCoy
    DT- 1st round draft pick in 2013

A lot of analyst have us picking a CB in the 1st round of 2013. But I think Johnson has earned the right to take the CB spot next to wright for 2013. If he fails or wright fails. Then get a CB in 2014 or a FA.

Just my thought on it. But I have been living in Atlanta for the past year. So I don't see that many games. So maybe some one who has seen more the 4 games on TV can tell me what stats and ESPN highlights can't tell me.

vCash
    On a side note.

I am from Orlando, FL but my career has taken me around the world for the past ten years.

Now I may have landed a sweet gig on MacDill AFB. If I get it, I will start mid January. Can some one from Tampa (or Brandon) tell me a good location to rent a house or apartment.

vCash
    In my opinion, switching to a 3-4 would be an absolute train wreck. We don't have the personnel for it and it's way too late to start the transition now.

First off, Gerald McCoy is the prototypical three-technique and is finally starting to live up to his draft status. Why switch things up and possibly slow down his progress? It's not worth it. Plus, there's no guarantee that he could make the same kind of impact at defensive end. The same thing goes for Lavonte David. David is a sideline to sideline linebacker and needs to be in open space. Pushing him inside really limits what he can do. This is probably why he was a second round pick and not a first rounder; teams running a 3-4 defense weren't interested in drafting a 230 lb linebacker to play inside. He's strictly a 4-3 WLB.

Also, can you imagine seeing Bowers and Bennett dropping back in coverage? It would be hilarious to see either one of them to try and cover a tight end like Jimmy Graham or a running back out of the backfield. Bowers is listed at 288 lbs and Bennett is a solid 275. There's no way that would work.

I don't mean to bash your idea, but we have definitely passed the point of no return on transitioning this defense into a 3-4.

Edit: I hope you're right about Leonard Johnson. He has done some positive things for us this year and looks like he has a pretty bright future.
    Last edited by Quikdraw; 12-08-2012 at 05:45 AM.

vCash
    Hell no
    and with the 12th pick, The New York Football Giants select ......Odell Beckham Jr, Wide Reciever from Louisana State University

vCash
    This is not the first time you brought this up, and everybody told you the same thing last time. You are trying to take personnel and put them in spots they dont go...david, bowers, bennett, mccoy....none of them belong playing those positions. Ask Mario Williams, Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis...great 4-3 DEs who did not adapt well to 3-4 positions. 4-3 is the heart of this franchise, can you imagine Chicago running a 3-4. No because it doesnt fit the overall team philosophy. It seems like you watch a ton of 3-4 teams and wish our D played like that and then try and back it up with reasoning but it doesnt work.

My real issue would be dont make a thread about Leonard Johnson and then try and make a case for switching to a 3-4 with a little blurp about leonard johnson at the end. Please let the 3-4 idea die bro.

No Leonard Johnson has done come anywhere close to earning anything. He has earned a spot on the 2012 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, he has earned some playing time AND he has earned a CHANCE to develop and train this off-season and to come compete at the start of next year and be judged accordingly. He will not start next year, best case scenario for him is playing Nickel or Dime packages and ST. He could make the team as depth next year, which I wouldnt be opposed to, he has done more than a guy like Myron Lewis and has more upside. Biggers, Johnson, Gaitor, Lewis will be fighting for their jobs come next year. I expect us to bring in 2 corners throught draft or FA, maybe 3 if they let Wright walk and then prob some more guys to battle for depth.

We Want Winston

vCash
    The 1st round pick needs to be a corner, we've all tried to get too cute with it and come up with different scenarios. IF people are being realistic we need to bite the bullet and go spend some high draft pick on a corner or corners.

We have to average under 269 passing yards on defense in the last 4 games to not give up the most passing yards in NFL history. Were currently at 309.??? a game and the highest ever was Green Bay last year with 299.??? a game. Draft a Fing corner

We Want Winston

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I-4_Fan View Post
    On a side note.

I am from Orlando, FL but my career has taken me around the world for the past ten years.

Now I may have landed a sweet gig on MacDill AFB. If I get it, I will start mid January. Can some one from Tampa (or Brandon) tell me a good location to rent a house or apartment.
    The high park area in Tampa is a pretty good location and a good location from mac dill, or the bayshore area depending on how much you wanna spend!
    "In dieing need of a rebound season, 2o14 Leggo"

vCash
    Ahhhh, NO! WTF games have you been watching? LJ had a pick six thrown right to him otherwise he's gotten eatin up on big plays. I believe our secondary will look very different by the start of next season (FA & draft).

vCash
    Yea switching now to a 3-4 would be a mess...and personally I hope I never see LJ starting for us ever again, I get it he's a rookie but there is a reason he went undrafted. I wouldn't mind seeing him in a dime or the occasional nickel but starting I hope never again.

vCash
    Hasn't earned the right to start imo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PFISH91 View Post
    Yea switching now to a 3-4 would be a mess...and personally I hope I never see LJ starting for us ever again, I get it he's a rookie but there is a reason he went undrafted. I wouldn't mind seeing him in a dime or the occasional nickel but starting I hope never again.
    you cant say never dude...he should of been drafted, i think thats obvious. He may develop, he seems to have a good work ethic and drive as well as being local. If he continues to improve in a couple years maybe he can earn that right. Its all about competition, if a man goes out in camp and wins a job it should be his, very few exceptions.

We Want Winston

vCash
    ^^^ I agree the guy has been in every play... He hasn't been burned as the others has he just has horrible technique!
    "In dieing need of a rebound season, 2o14 Leggo"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quikdraw View Post
    In my opinion, switching to a 3-4 would be an absolute train wreck. We don't have the personnel for it and it's way too late to start the transition now.

First off, Gerald McCoy is the prototypical three-technique and is finally starting to live up to his draft status. Why switch things up and possibly slow down his progress? It's not worth it. Plus, there's no guarantee that he could make the same kind of impact at defensive end. The same thing goes for Lavonte David. David is a sideline to sideline linebacker and needs to be in open space. Pushing him inside really limits what he can do. This is probably why he was a second round pick and not a first rounder; teams running a 3-4 defense weren't interested in drafting a 230 lb linebacker to play inside. He's strictly a 4-3 WLB.

Also, can you imagine seeing Bowers and Bennett dropping back in coverage? It would be hilarious to see either one of them to try and cover a tight end like Jimmy Graham or a running back out of the backfield. Bowers is listed at 288 lbs and Bennett is a solid 275. There's no way that would work.

I don't mean to bash your idea, but we have definitely passed the point of no return on transitioning this defense into a 3-4.

Edit: I hope you're right about Leonard Johnson. He has done some positive things for us this year and looks like he has a pretty bright future.
    I do agree on one thing you said. Bowers and Bennett are about 15 to 20 pounds bigger then your 3-4 outside linebackers.

I guess I remember analyst talking about how much of an athletic freak he is that I figured he could pull it off.

vCash
    I like Roy Miller, but he can't be the problem. I hate to think we need to revamp our secondary, one year after we completely revamped it. Baron it's just a rookie and Barber if great as always, plus he seems to be grooming Ahmad Black pretty well.

We just got Eric Wright so it seems like CB or a DT that can take on double teams in the middle and open up holes for the other guys would be our best options.

vCash
    We never revamped it, we added two players Barron and Wright....Talib is gone he needs to be replaced, Barber will retire this year prob. or next at latest, he needs a replacement. Eric has had a ton of issues, and they could walk away almost unscathed if they choose, he could be replaced, and we could prob use an upgrade for our corner. Right now we have 1-3 corners who should make this team.

We Want Winston

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast