Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

The resistance to change

Series of tweets from SBNation's Falcons blogger Dave Choate (@TheFalcoholic) today:
    To me, the fundamental problem with the Falcons is the resistance to change.
    For years, I bought that they were working at their issues in practice, but now I don't really know what to believe. There's no improvement.
    The tackling is still shaky, the protection and blocking is shaky, the ground game is useless. These are all issues going back to Week 1.
    Where's the improvement? I think when you look at the evidence (15 carries per game for Turner, no young DEs in rotation), it's not there.
    This is a coaching staff that believes in its players and believes in what it's doing, which is good. But sometimes you have to make changes.
    Or you risk hitting a ceiling. These Falcons are a mortal lock for the playoffs every season, but then things get dicey.
    I don't know if personnel changes or philosophical alterations would fix this, or if it's a simple lack of execution and human mistakes.
    But I think I'd like to see the Falcons try a couple of new things in the coming weeks.
    I think we all know that marching into the playoffs and playing the kind of game they did against the Cardinals is a losing proposition.
    I do trust the team to make good decisions. They have all along. They're just sometimes slow to adapt.
    Believe me, I'm not ungrateful about the way this season has unfolded. 9-1 is fantastic, and they're one of the best teams out there.
    I recognize that sometimes sticking with the plan works out well. Look at Matt Bosher. It's just not always a viable strategy.
    Here's the bottom line: We're Falcons fans. We're hopeful yet cynical, and we need to be. So much upside here, but underlying issues.
    Now that I've rolled through that, back to the obvious. 9-1. Three game division lead with six to play. Good things ahead.
    A few days ago, I said that one issue with this bunch is they are so conservative that they always fall back into old or reliable habits when things get tough: Back to running a 30 y/o Turner, back to heavily targeting 31 y/o White, back to playing passive vanilla defense. We saw the same old bootleg (and pick) yesterday. Rodgers got a few more touches, but in general, they have played not to lose too often in recent years instead of going for the kill shot, and that's a losing strategy against tougher competition.
    Last edited by Bravo95; 11-19-2012 at 11:51 AM.

vCash
    Yes all of what he said and you said is all true. Im starting to believe we tapped our ceiling. Can we play any better then what we did the first 3 games of the season, and if so, what happened to even what we did go begin the season? We supposed to be progressing, not regressing. 9-1 is all fine and dandy but that record is a little deceiving. We had about 3-4 games, probably more, we could have easily lost and those games were against lesser opponents. With a non existent running game, a regressing defense, a pourous O line, and suspect decision making once again, i dont see us to be able to win a playoff game this year, more less a Super Bowl. I do not know what happened to the swagger we had at the beginning of the season because right now, we are playing flat and playing uninspiring football on that damn field. Mike Smith needs to put up some better speaches and get the teams head on straight because our 9-1 record is not one bit indicative of how we are playing.

vCash
    The lack of D-Line rotation is the most troublesome to me. Sidbury may not be the answer but you can't deny that he was incredibly productive last season and should be athletic enough to let him beat the awful Cardinals tackles.

Overall though, I co-sign everything in this thread. Koetter brought change and won't change from his change. Nolan brought change and he did change, seemingly back to a true 4-3 zone we're all sick of. Smith is full of the same. This coaching staff can win a Super Bowl with the players on the field, but they sure don't seem to want to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramon Nivar View Post
    The lack of D-Line rotation is the most troublesome to me. Sidbury may not be the answer but you can't deny that he was incredibly productive last season and should be athletic enough to let him beat the awful Cardinals tackles.

Overall though, I co-sign everything in this thread. Koetter brought change and won't change from his change. Nolan brought change and he did change, seemingly back to a true 4-3 zone we're all sick of. Smith is full of the same. This coaching staff can win a Super Bowl with the players on the field, but they sure don't seem to want to.
    O yes, they can definitely win a super bowl, but not with the way they are playing and not with the type of decision that are being made. Lie you said RN, the coaches seem to not want to put out the younger players and i think that has been the case for awhile. It really hurts the depth of this team. I understand you have to earn your PT, but you have to give the PT first to let them prove anything. Who knows what Massoquoi and Sidbury can do to our pass rush. A team has to have depth to win and that is something we do not have because of all the unexperienced guys on the team.

vCash
    I don't agree with most of the stuff that is being said about this football team. I've been following the falcons religiously for two decades. Our coordinators are adapting very well with whats out there on the field and the situation. Matty Ice still threw for over 300+ yards with no running game and 5 ints + 1 a fumble. Julio was out half the way, Asante out, and no spoon. Everyone should relax we'll get back to stuffing the run with spoon. Positives are we doing decently well against the pass but with spoon on the field we will do a lot better. Offense is a hit or miss, but if Julio can stay on the field for 4 quarters and our defense healthy and if it all comes together during the end of the season we will find our stride, and i have hope even if we don't play well in the playoffs to know at least this falcons team wont quit like the previous years. RISE UP.

vCash
    But we haven't really stopped the run all season. Unless Spoon+Peters truly is the formula that works but each on their own have given up huge games and possibly the only reason we had those two good games with both in is because of the lolFC East teams we played.

vCash
    Yeah, we know this team has dealt with injuries and we are all glad to see this record and resiliency. But to borrow a line from boxing trainer Freddie Roach: "I don't look for mistakes, I look for habits." Right now, the bad habits and trends are a big deal because better teams will attack the same way relentlessly until they stop it when January rolls around.

Arizona has one of the best defenses in the league and they frustrated this offense without arguably their best player (Campbell). Paid no attention to our run game and focused on stopping the pass, baited Ryan into bad throws, tipped passes, sent extra pressure up the middle. That was no fluke performance -- the Bears, Niners, Giants have similar personnel and will all try to do the same thing. The difference is, their QBs aren't (usually) terrible.

vCash
    Watching the Niners do those stunts, they would beat us. Something needs to be done with the intelligence of this line. That is a huge thing I never really thought of. It's amazing how they can go from one year to the next and become so inept at picking up blitzes and adjusting to defenses. Pat Hill has his work cut out for him in this sense. We're not completely awful, I was yelling at the Bears line all game for being such idiots and I rarely do that with us; but it really helped to open my eyes that we regressed so much in that sense.

vCash
    The fact that teams seem to have figured out their WR screens also doesn't help. In terms of short yardage, they really can't do any of it with consistency right now. Ryan's gonna be forced into even more 5-7 step drops down the road.

vCash
    So in the past 48 hours, we saw two head coaches of contending NFC teams -- Mike McCarthy and Jim Harbaugh -- publicly challenge their one of their own players. Both guys won, yet both see the potential for an upgrade.

Here, we had McCarthy basically say James Starks wasn't getting it done as GB's feature tailback:
    "We left a lot of production on the field was my conclusion after going through the tape," McCarthy said. The coach went on to lament not using Alex Green more. The ex-starter had no touches. "Frankly, Alex Green not getting carries was a poor performance by myself managing how we were running the ball," McCarthy said. "We'll continue forward working both James and Alex."
    Then [URL="https
    Last edited by Bravo95; 11-20-2012 at 01:37 PM.