Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

If NY Mets are to trade Dickey, they will expect a lot in return

If NY Mets are to trade Dickey, they will expect a lot in return

One high-ranking major league executive who spoke recently with Mets officials came away thinking that the team “would want a monster package for (R.A.) Dickey, and if they don’t get it, probably would not trade him.”

The executive, who has also discussed the market for Dickey with other GMs who have asked the Mets about him, loosely defined that “monster package” as a few high-end prospects or major leaguers, likely outfielders or catching help.

“They aren’t approaching teams on this, but they’re letting teams come to them,” the executive said.

Consistent with GM Sandy Alderson’s public statements, a Mets insider predicted that there would not be a resolution on whether to sign or trade Dickey at least until the winter meetings, scheduled for Dec. 3-6 in Dickey’s hometown, Nashville.

Baseball officials inside and outside the Mets organization identified assistant general managers Paul DePodesta and J.P. Ricciardi as the ones fielding most of the inquiries from other clubs, while assistant GM John Ricco facilitates contract negotiations with Dickey and his agent. Alderson was described as engaged in both aspects of his team’s most complex issue.

DePodesta is a former Dodgers GM whose official role with the Mets is to oversee the draft and farm system — but he was described by one acquaintance and rival executive as intimately involved in advising Alderson on Dickey and other issues.

“Sandy really trusts Paul,” the source said. “My impression is that Paul would recommend moving (Dickey) only if they could get that big return.

If they cannot — and two rival executives interviewed for this story expressed skepticism that a 38-year-old knuckleballer, even one with a Cy Young Award, would net the Mets that “monster package” — it has become increasingly clear to the Mets front office that it can sign Dickey for a reasonable price.

Owed $5 million in 2013 under his current deal, Dickey and the Mets have been working for more than two weeks toward an extension.

The Daily News has reported that the club believes its ace is willing to sign a deal comparable to, and likely somewhat less than, the two-year, $29 million deal recently struck between righthander Jake Peavy and the Chicago White Sox.
    Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...#ixzz2CgBeCfKG

“Ninety percent I’ll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent I’ll probably waste.”
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Scary that Depodesta is handling the calls. That means he would be the one asking for certain prospects. The way this guy evaluates drafts this could be a disaster.

vCash
    We should ask for the world. No takers, then lets see who bites come mid season if we're floundering! Otherwise, I'm cool with keeping RA and I'm sure most Mets fans are too!
    " You seek Yoda!

vCash
    It doesn't matter how good of a pitcher R.A. is. Even though he is a knuckler it becoming more and more clear that there is a bias due to his age. If someone gets desperate then maybe they make a legit offer but I doubt we would get anything worth trading for.

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

vCash
    This is exactly how they should go about it. Win win situation. Trade him and get back a great package or keep the reigning Cy Young.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Toon88 View Post
    Scary that Depodesta is handling the calls. That means he would be the one asking for certain prospects. The way this guy evaluates drafts this could be a disaster.
    Nothing scary about Zack Wheeler. I'm sure Depo had a say there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Nothing scary about Zack Wheeler. I'm sure Depo had a say there.
    I'm not worried. I like what we've gotten in the draft with this regime.

We're in a great position with Dickey. Other teams should know that we'll gladly keep him if their offers are not of the "knock your socks off" variety. I have a feeling we'll see Dickey in a Mets uniform in 2013.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    I really like that the Mets want the best talent possible. Try to extend him if you are willing to commit to winning sooner rather than later, and if not, deal him for the best possible package. The Mets have leverage in the fact they don't HAVE to deal him because he's under contract for next season even though I'd hate for it to come to that.

vCash
    Mets are leaking this to the public, but I bet we trade him and don't get much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rique View Post
    Mets are leaking this to the public, but I bet we trade him and don't get much.
    The leak might not be intentional. Either way, it's a good thing to ask for the moon. That way, there's plenty of room to negotiate down and still bring home that "wow" package.

I don't think they'll get it, because people are too hung up on his age, but it's worth asking.

vCash
    He's a rental, I doubt we get a good package unless we wait till June or July when an injury or a struggling player will make a 100+ million payroll team panic. Last time I heard we would only trade someone for a great return we got Wheeler from a panicking Giants team desperate to replace Posey's bat.

Right now any negotiations the Mets enter into will be from a point of weakness, with teams trying to take advantage of them. We need an event (injury, steroid suspension, player production drop-off, etc...) to change this, and those things only really happen during the season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanthree15 View Post
    He's a rental, I doubt we get a good package unless we wait till June or July when an injury or a struggling player will make a 100+ million payroll team panic. Last time I heard we would only trade someone for a great return we got Wheeler from a panicking Giants team desperate to replace Posey's bat.

Right now any negotiations the Mets enter into will be from a point of weakness, with teams trying to take advantage of them. We need an event (injury, steroid suspension, player production drop-off, etc...) to change this, and those things only really happen during the season.
    There have been many cases where teams overpay for a rental. Look at the 2010 Rangers. They gave up Justin Smoak, a top 5 prospect, for a 1/2 year rental of Cliff Lee. Plus, Dickey isn't signing a mega-deal. 12 million/year is very affordable for a contender.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanthree15 View Post

Good point. I want another "Beltran-for-Wheeler" trade. A team will get desperate, and will want to roll the dice.

I don't want to trade Dickey for a bunch of 28-30 year old fill ins Kansas City Royals style. I want another "Beltran-for-Wheeler" trade. By July, a team will be desperate enough to do it. Let us wait until then.

vCash
    His value imo will never be higher than it is now. Teams that trade for Dickey(the CY Young winner) now will get a full year of Dickey and they will receive draft picks in the event that Dickey walks since he will likely make more than $13M on the open market.

The last thing I want is for them to just trade him for the sake of trading him or letting him walk. So I hope he inks an extension or is traded. Two seperate, clear directions, no more pussyfooting around and doing nothing BS.
    Last edited by YoungStuna; 11-20-2012 at 03:44 AM.

vCash
    Given that Dickey doesn't want a mega contract extension greatly improves our chances of getting a bidding war/great package for him.

All contenders can bid for him - not just the big market/big spenders.
    Scott Stevens: "Luck is a combination of hard work and perseverance, I tend to think that I make my own luck"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast