• 10 years

4 7.84%
  • 15 or more

2 3.92%
Page 227 of 257 FirstFirst ... 127177217225226227228229237 ... LastLast
Results 3,391 to 3,405 of 3848

Thread: The CFL Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post
    JT had already distinguished himself as a solo artist by 04.

He made the Super Bowl because he was a popular solo artist among football fans and the rest of the states.

The diff between the cfl and nfl is that the nfl has a constant fanbase, whereas the CFL needs A Biebers to get the preteen views.
    I'm not saying there is anything wrong with you liking JT but I find the fact that you are arguing that he wasn't the teenpop star like Bieber is hilarious. And he was not a popular artist amongst football fans back then.

By the way the CFL does have a constant fanbase just like the NFL. The NFL has done a good job of promoting the superbowl into the event it is with the commercials and the big name halftime shows that attract people who aren't really interested in football. I'm sorry but 140 million people aren't watching the Superbowl for football. Over the last 10 years the CFL has been doing the same sort of thing with the Grey Cup and it has been succesful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bramaca View Post
    I'm not saying there is anything wrong with you liking JT but I find the fact that you are arguing that he wasn't the teenpop star like Bieber is hilarious. And he was not a popular artist amongst football fans back then.

By the way the CFL does have a constant fanbase just like the NFL. The NFL has done a good job of promoting the superbowl into the event it is with the commercials and the big name halftime shows that attract people who aren't really interested in football. I'm sorry but 140 million people aren't watching the Superbowl for football. Over the last 10 years the CFL has been doing the same sort of thing with the Grey Cup and it has been succesful.
    I really don't like JT.

But in terms of the Grey Cup this year; you can see by the quality of this years half time show, that Cohon was trying to get good ratings with the youngsters.

Mariana's Trench/Jepson/Bieber are all this years pop sensations. No true CFL fan cares for those 'singers'

In terms of the bolded part... ARE YOU SERIOUS!?
    There were 100+ million viewers of the halftime show. Most of them love the NFL. Sure people like the commercials, but why do you think it costs millions to air these commercials? Because people are watching the game!

And by the way, those pants, they belong to my dad.And they're not really pants,
    they're Lederhosen

Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post
    In terms of the bolded part... ARE YOU SERIOUS!?
    There were 100+ million viewers of the halftime show. Most of them love the NFL. Sure people like the commercials, but why do you think it costs millions to air these commercials? Because people are watching the game!
    Absolutely 100% serious.

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-m...ing_the_s.html

An estimated 54 percent of those watching Super Bowl XLV - which will pit the Pittsburgh Steelers against the Green Bay Packers - at 6:30 p.m. Sunday will be glued to their seats for the commercials, according to the study by Harris Interactive.
    The halftime show also gets higher ratings then the game overall. Many do watch the game but a very high % of them don't give a **** about football or the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bramaca View Post
    Absolutely 100% serious.

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-m...ing_the_s.html

The halftime show also gets higher ratings then the game overall. Many do watch the game but a very high % of them don't give a **** about football or the game.
    Those people also are watching the game. All theyre saying is that 54% want to watch the commercials as well as the game. Of course there are exceptions, but the majority are watching the game + commercials.

In any case, I'm happy the Argos won.
    The city of Toronto needed a win, no matter what league.

And by the way, those pants, they belong to my dad.And they're not really pants,
    they're Lederhosen

Party'd too much could not post. Atmosphere was great , game was so so, but still enjoyed the presentation and game. 1/2 time show was the most active I've seen in a very longtime, too bad the people in the resturant couldn't see.

Should have had that San guy with the dance perform after The Beaver and whip the crowd into a frenzy.

All in all, I hope this has some positive effect in the interest in the CFL in the GTA and they put on a good show.

Where was the horse?????

Nice to see all the posting done, hope you are all in for next year.

See you then.

Had a great time, signing off for the year. See who ever plays next season. Way to go Argos..........

I didn't watch the halftime ********. Not my thing. Couldn't they have gotten Rush, Neil Young or BTO or something? Might as well have watched Much Music Video Awards or whatever it's called.

Quote Originally Posted by da phins View Post
    can you see it happening or no?

tell me the pros and cons
    Yes, I can see it happening. The Canadian Parliament has blocked the NFL from coming into Canada before. I can see it happening again unless the CFL feels its in the best of Canadian Football.

If Green Bay and New Orleans can support Football so can Toronto, BC, Calgary, and Edmonton. I can even see the Saskatchewon and Winnipeg getting a team.

1. Location- Ontario, Canada

2. Favorite CFL Team- Toronto Argonauts

3. Favorite Player- Chad Owens, Ricky Ray

4. Favorite Former Player- Damon Allen

5. What other teams in the CFL you root for? None

6. Other sports you enjoy? What other sporting teams do you root for? NHL - Ottawa Senators, NFL- Philadelphia Eagles MLS- Toronto FC

It will never happen. I think the reasons go far beyond just football and move into political reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1978 View Post
    If Green Bay and New Orleans can support Football so can Toronto, BC, Calgary, and Edmonton. I can even see the Saskatchewon and Winnipeg getting a team.
    I'm not really following what you meant by this.

Green Bay and New Orleans have two of the most dedicated
    fan bases in all the NFL, who consistently work extremely
    hard as communities to keep their teams alive. When you
    say it like "If GB and NO can support..." it makes it seem
    like you think those places are "small markets with
    not much support". That is far, far from true.

I personally would be all for a merger, but I'm extremely
    atypical in that sentiment, I know.

I remember the CFL expanded into the US in the '90's but I don't think that worked out very well. I honestly do wish it did succeed since that would mean football all year long.

I have never been to Canada before but I wonder if taxpayers would be willing to build new football stadiums for $800 million dollars to $1 billion (in American dollars) each because it seems like the going price for new NFL stadiums.

Due to the long term economy of western & upstate New York, I can't really see the Bills staying in Buffalo 25 years down the road. I think the Bills could eventualy relocate to Toronto and I don't think the NFL will accept the Rogers Centre so you will have to build a new stadium. BC Palace isn't going to be enough and the HHH Dome in Minnesota is going to be replaced and it is very similiar to BC Palace.

IT won't be long before the NFL has a shiny new stadium for every team and there will not be a NFL owner who can use the threat of moving his team to Los Angeles as a way to get the city to build a new stadium. There could be two Los Angeles teams, two Canada teams, one London team, and one more team that would need to go somewhere which would mean 36 NFL teams. I don't see how they can divide the NFL up with 34 teams.

I find it also interesting that Montreal was never mentioned in this thread unless I missed it somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1978 View Post
    Yes, I can see it happening. The Canadian Parliament has blocked the NFL from coming into Canada before. I can see it happening again unless the CFL feels its in the best of Canadian Football.

Green Bay is unique since fans can own the team and it has been that way since the team was founded in the 1920s. I don't think the NFL would be willing to go down that path. New Orleans has some energy companies head quartered there and is one of the major offshore oil drilling cities so that town can support a team. Not only there needs to be population in the area but there also needs to be serious money.

But I'd love to see a NFL team in Canada if that could happen.

There's noway NFL will ever merge with the CFL. The NFL is already a successful multi-billion doller year business it doesn't need the CFL