Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Do You Know Your QB's?

Here are two unnamed QB's. One of them is a current player, the other is retired. I won't say which is which.

PLAYER A
    Career QB Rating: 84.1
    Touchdown to Interception Differential: +33
    Number of Seasons with 20+ TD's: 4
    Career Completion Percentage: 61.0%
    Career YPA: 7.24
    Passing Attemps per game for career: 31.9

PLAYER B
    Career QB Rating: 81.6
    Touchdown to Interception Differential: +24
    Number of Seasons with 20+ TD's: 1
    Career Completion Percentage: 61.5%
    Career YPA: 6.99
    Passing Attempts per game for career: 30.6

If you guessed Player A was Jay Cutler and Player B was Troy Aikman, you'd be correct. What's interesting is Troy Aikman has gone down as one of the greatest QB's of all-time, especially thanks to his 3 Super Bowl rings. Jay Cutler will never sniff the HOF like Troy.

Now, some will argue that since Jay is playing in the passing era, his stats are less meaningful than Troy's. That may be true, but for an "all-time great" QB like Troy, his stats are pretty brutal, even for the 1990s, and especially for having the best offensive line in football, the most underrated receiver ever in Michael Irvin, and the legendary Emmitt Smith in the backfield to open up the passing game.

I'm not a fan of either player, but I found the stats to be pretty interesting. It really shows how much credit a QB can get for having a stellar team around him, and vice versa if the rest of his team isn't as great.

vCash
    The spread on era's is too far. Go compare where they ranked among major important statistics for a few years and compare. I bet thinks start to become less fuzzy.

That being said, I pretty much agree with everything you said.
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    Gabbert is clearly the best QB package in this draft in my opinion.
    All in all, if the Panthers are going to select a QB, Gabbert has to be the pick.
    People take this guy seriously?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PraiseJesus View Post
    My PREDICITON OF LEBRON GOING TO THE KNICKS WAS SPOT ON!!!!

JUST AS ALL MINE ARE.

I'M NEVER WRONG

FREE MY SOURCE PraiseJesus

vCash
    A) Aikman has always been overrated, especially considering the talent he had around him

B) Different era

vCash
    I understand the different era viewpoint. Yes, Aikman's stats translate better to the early 90s than they do to today. However, even by early '90s standards, Aikman was good, but not Hall of Fame worthy.

vCash
    If you're implying that Jay Cutler is a hall of famer. Well he is not, he is Jay Cutler.

vCash
    I think this speaks more to Aikmans underwhelming stats opposed to Cutlers near identical numbers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aheili30 View Post
    I understand the different era viewpoint. Yes, Aikman's stats translate better to the early 90s than they do to today. However, even by early '90s standards, Aikman was good, but not Hall of Fame worthy.
    Won't ever get an argument from me on that for sure
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    Gabbert is clearly the best QB package in this draft in my opinion.
    All in all, if the Panthers are going to select a QB, Gabbert has to be the pick.
    People take this guy seriously?

vCash
    I think this speaks more to Aikmans underwhelming stats opposed to Cutlers near identical numbers.
    This.

Although as another person said, different era. But this doesn't mean Jay Cutler is a better QB than Troy or a hall of a famer, because Cutler is still Cutler.

vCash
    Aikman is still way better than Cutler, although I do think Cutler is underrated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by richiesaurus310 View Post
    Aikman is still way better than Cutler, although I do think Cutler is underrated.
    I think cutler is over-rated by many at times. Albeit the bears and their o-line problems.

PSD's Aaron Dropson

vCash
    cutler is a douchebag
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals