Follow us on Twitter

Page 14 of 225 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Mathieu is too small. Him and Boykins out there would be 2 smurfs

vCash
    I love this debate keep it going.

2013 Mock Chicago Bulls

vCash
    the hype for QBs in drafts usually doesn't ramp up until the actual draft process begins. Andrew luck is an exception. one who is once every decade.

cam newton was considered a mid 1st round pick until the process began. then teams looked at the statue up close, watched the robot run and throw and fell in love.

i think teams will fall head over heels for barkley in the interview room. he's a stand up guy, football smart, and just all around respectful and a great face of a franchise candidate.

geno smith i don't know much about in terms of personality. i know he's led WVU for a while now. i'm not a huge fan of gimmick offense QBs unless the QB is a physical specimen. geno is not.

tyler wilson is the best prospect of the bunch, but he's never produced on the same level as a 1st round pick should. partly because he was in the SEC, but lets not pretend, the guy had talent around him and didn't get anything done.

landry jones, garbage, stay away

tahj boyd, interesting, short, but has all of the tools. strong arm, accuracy, mobility. gimmick offense, would take him in the 3-6 rounds. don't trust him any earlier.

EJ manuel. if only a good QB existed in his body, because the guy is basically pryor or newton physically. but i'd take both guys over him QB wise. he's just about as raw a project as possible.

ryan nassib. improved every year. solid late round pick, nothing more.

Tyler bray is a project, but he has all of the tools in the book as does mike glennon

aaron murray, short, but has all of the tools. good guy, nice arm, nice accuracy, nice mobility. like russell wilson last season if this guy was 2-3 inches taller he'd be the #1 pick

vCash
    This team has to draft Oline first and build this offense from the inside out. If you have a great oline, it won't matter who your RB or QB is. BUt we are lucky to have McCOy and Bryce.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SJSF View Post
    Mathieu is too small. Him and Boykins out there would be 2 smurfs
    mathieu and boykin aren't perimeter players so their height is irrelevant. if mathieu was arguably the best player in the SEC last season. the best football conference in college football. where WRs are 6-2, TEs are 6-4 and lineman are considered small at 6-4

mathieu will do just fine in the NFL with the right role

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SJSF View Post
    This team has to draft Oline first and build this offense from the inside out. If you have a great oline, it won't matter who your RB or QB is. BUt we are lucky to have McCOy and Bryce.
    that makes sense.

tennessee has had arguably the best O-line in football up until this past season. year after year it was considered the best

apparently it does matter who your QB is consider teams with crappy OLines like the 2008 and 2005 steelers or the 2011 packers

what does QB matter. just build a great O-line

vCash
    also if there was ever a year to make a 3-4 switch this is it. draft is loaded with NTs. like 4-6 legit prospects at nose

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by last stand View Post
    also if there was ever a year to make a 3-4 switch this is it. draft is loaded with NTs. like 4-6 legit prospects at nose
    But then we have to waste a high draft pick on a NT as well as bring in OLBs instead of using those resources on positions we need like QB, WR, OL, DB, TE.

By switching to a 3-4 we would just be adding adding holes to this team that would need to be filled that wouldnt be an issue otherwise if we stayed in a 4-3. It just doesnt make sense
    PSD's c_reinert

vCash
    Kipper is saying right now Barkley is a second round prospect right now:

http://www.mockdrafthq.com/2012/11/2...html#more-4352

If he is there when we pick in the second round, I think we gotta tack him... He reminds of Matt Ryan for some reason. Matt Ryan doesn't have the strongest arm but he's intelligent, hard worker, football smart, and has leadership qualities... Say we can nab Joeckel or Jarvis Jones or Manti Teo with our first pick, Barkeley with our second pick and The HB with our a later round pick... that's some serious talent and holes we filled based on potential

Lets go Knicks!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Juelz36 View Post

If he is there when we pick in the second round, I think we gotta tack him... He reminds of Matt Ryan for some reason. Matt Ryan doesn't have the strongest arm but he's intelligent, hard worker, football smart, and has leadership qualities... Say we can nab Joeckel or Jarvis Jones or Manti Teo with our first pick, Barkeley with our second pick and The HB with our a later round pick... that's some serious talent and holes we filled based on potential
    Im good with this minus the Te'o and especially the Jarvis Jones part. If we can get one of the top OT first round and Barkley in the second I would be very happy if we went that route and were able to address safety in FA or a trade
    PSD's c_reinert

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by c_reinert View Post
    But then we have to waste a high draft pick on a NT as well as bring in OLBs instead of using those resources on positions we need like QB, WR, OL, DB, TE.

By switching to a 3-4 we would just be adding adding holes to this team that would need to be filled that wouldnt be an issue otherwise if we stayed in a 4-3. It just doesnt make sense
    i never said to switch. i said if there was ever a year to do so this would be it.

you're not taking a QB unless you fall in love with one or else you'll get a blaine gabbert. thats what happens when you take a QB because you have to not because you love the guy.

WR robert woods is the only 1st round WR production wise. Justin hunter is in there physically. both are mid 1st rounders

OL- unless you are planning on taking Joeckel then this is useless. not opposed to the pick personally. you slide herremans back to guard.

peters mathis kelce herremans joeckel

not bad.

DB. i wouldn't touch a nick saban CB. they always fail in the NFL. banks and rhodes are late 1st rounders

TE well thats self explanatory. not taking that where we are picking

and if you really must know this draft is also incredibly deep at 3-4 OLBs. all we'd need is a jarvis jones and louis nix or jon jenkins draft and i'd put a lot of stock into a 3-4 conversion

jarvis is an elite pass rushing LB. either kendricks or graham can play the other side. kendricks can play inside worst case scenario with demeco.

i'd put a jenkins, NT, Cox line against anyone. that alone makes it worth it

add jarvis jones flying off the edge and you have a deal

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Juelz36 View Post

well kiper is usually wrong. QB desire alone will prevent either of those guys from dropping. having said that Kiper is also notoriously wrong about QBs.

if barkley or smith are in the 2nd i think you'd have to take them just to compete with foles. same goes with tyler wilson if he slipped that far

vCash
    i never said to switch. i said if there was ever a year to do so this would be it.

you're not taking a QB unless you fall in love with one or else you'll get a blaine gabbert. thats what happens when you take a QB because you have to not because you love the guy.

WR robert woods is the only 1st round WR production wise. Justin hunter is in there physically. both are mid 1st rounders

OL- unless you are planning on taking Joeckel then this is useless. not opposed to the pick personally. you slide herremans back to guard.

peters mathis kelce herremans joeckel

not bad.

DB. i wouldn't touch a nick saban CB. they always fail in the NFL. banks and rhodes are late 1st rounders

TE well thats self explanatory. not taking that where we are picking

and if you really must know this draft is also incredibly deep at 3-4 OLBs. all we'd need is a jarvis jones and louis nix or jon jenkins draft and i'd put a lot of stock into a 3-4 conversion

jarvis is an elite pass rushing LB. either kendricks or graham can play the other side. kendricks can play inside worst case scenario with demeco.

i'd put a jenkins, NT, Cox line against anyone. that alone makes it worth it

add jarvis jones flying off the edge and you have a deal
    I am not saying all of those positions need to be addressed in the first round dude. Im saying they need to be addressed. Whether it be a draft pick, trade, FA signing, those things need to be addressed in order for this team to be successful. Using resources on adding personnel to switch to a 3-4 subtracts from the total resources we have (draft picks, cap room, trade bait etc). Which means we are less equipped to address those other needs we have.

Say we switched to a 3-4 as people mention. Spend our first round pick on Jarvis Jones and take a NT in the second round... Were now in the 3rd round and need to find solutions at QB, WR, TE, OL, DB... We are essentially right where we started. Is switching to a 3-4 and adding Jarvis Jones going to fix this team. Not by a long shot.

Like I said before. Switching to a 3-4 just adds holes to the team which we wouldnt have otherwise and puts the current players we have in spots they will be less effective at. Fix what needs to be fixed
    PSD's c_reinert

vCash
    let me put it this way each defense has benefits. the 3-4 allows you to get more athletes on the field while maintaining size in the middle because of having what is essentially 3 DTs

now a year ago i would have agreed with you. but at this point this is a 3-5 year process. this team is not getting fixed in 1 year. so saying we are creating more holes is irrelevant because this team is already riddled with holes. i'd say there are more holes than set positions.

i personally like the idea of having cox and some huge NT in the middle and having jarvis jones creating havoc. having jarvis, demeco, kendricks, and graham just running all over the place is tempting to me.

vCash
    let me put it this way each defense has benefits. the 3-4 allows you to get more athletes on the field while maintaining size in the middle because of having what is essentially 3 DTs

now a year ago i would have agreed with you. but at this point this is a 3-5 year process. this team is not getting fixed in 1 year. so saying we are creating more holes is irrelevant because this team is already riddled with holes. i'd say there are more holes than set positions.

i personally like the idea of having cox and some huge NT in the middle and having jarvis jones creating havoc. having jarvis, demeco, kendricks, and graham just running all over the place is tempting to me.
    you have the same number of athletes on the field no matter what scheme you are in... 11. Its about which scheme is more effective for the players you have. If its speed you are concerned about, how is the 3-4 faster? You now have essentially 5 defensive linemen on the field, 3 of which as you said are essentially DTs, and the OLBs are essentially DEs. You lose a linebacker who are generally much faster than the 310+ pound NT you are gaining.

If we actually were 3-5 years away... Why make it even longer by forcing our guys to learn a whole new scheme (which takes time) AND neglect other changes that need to by made by spending resources on adding players to fit this scheme. It should also be noted that we not only would need to add an OLB and a NT, we need to essentially add 4-5 OLB and 3 NTs, need backups

By going with what you are suggesting, were basically saying goodbye to Trent Cole, Vinny Curry, Phil Hunt, Mike Patterson, Derek Landri and Akeem Jordan so that we can pick up Jarvis Jones. Dont see the point.

Also, were asking Ryans and Kendricks to play a role they aren't nearly as effective at. ILB doesnt suit Kendrick's attributes and Ryans showed in Houston (and also admits) that he isnt nearly as effective in the 3-4.

OR the alternative:

We stick with the 4-3 and are set everywhere in the front 7 except WLB which is a pretty easy fix
    PSD's c_reinert