Page 59 of 225 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109159 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Yup I agree he should be better at ILB

Authentic Phillies, Eagles , Sixers and Man City fan
    - I love Ray Lewis.

"Do not scorn a weak cub, he may become a brutal tiger"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by last stand View Post
    Graham was a DE in college but was projected to be a 3-4 backer before we took him

It would require a transition period. But star shortens that big time by giving us a really promising defensive line. Curry is already 275lbs I believe. He's a hustle guy who is great with power and finesse. Add 15-20lbs and he can easily play DT in a 3-4

The line is simple IMO it's the backer situation that's complicated. I'm not sure if Kendrick's is big enough to seal an edge. Which is what he'd have to do if he plays OLB in a 3-4. Now Kendrick's actually fits well inside if he's the cover backer. But that means meco has to play the run stuffer which I think he can.

Really if you look at it in a 4-3 we have 3 holes. 2 safeties and weak side linebacker

In a 3-4 we have 4 holes. NT, OLB, 2 safeties

Star fixes one. Ideally you would fix at least 1 or 2 others through the draft

Rebuilding this defense is a 2 year process regardless IMO the more important issue is getting a great defensive mind. 3-4 or 4-3 shouldn't be the main concern. The quality of the mind should be. We've had poor defensive coaches for too long now. A great defensive mind will fix this defense

Getting an average 4-3 coach just so things can be easy doesn't. The best defensive minds available are 3-4 guys and the coach is the #1 priority
    You lay out your argument very well. My only conjecture would be the # of holes you say would be on a 3-4. In theory that is correct. However, its difficult to make the assumption that players would transition seamlessly. At this point we have no idea if Cox can play DE, if Graham can play OLB in the NFL or if Kendricks can play ILB. We also already know that Ryans doesn't perform nearly as effectively in the 3-4.

When you break it down that way you are looking at 4 holes along with 4 question marks. Leaves us with only 3 "sure things" on our defense (Jenkins, Aso and DRC) all of whom could potentially not be here next season and are have 2 of whom under performed last season.

I just think its such a huge gamble to undertake. High risk with un-astonishing reward, at least until several years down the road after weve had time to clean house. I dont think anyone is expecting these players to change to these positions and all of a sudden play BETTER, especially to a significant degree. And if youre looking to clean house eventually anyway, still makes sense to utilize what youve got in the most effective way possible in the meantime
    PSD's c_reinert

vCash
    Kendricks has that size and speed to do it I agree. Matthews was a duck too lets not forget he kind of knows the head coach we just hired lol...

NT will be our biggest obstacle. Other then that we are really not n that bad of shape.

Curry can play de now as is. Trent Cole sadly really is the missing link.

Regardless we know we have 2 safeties that need to be addressed through draft and FA.

I like the 4-3 from a run and pressure on the qb. 3-4 you can disguise more things though and get cute with it.

Big decision here....the better get Ray Horton he's been with Dick LeBeau who I feel is a hall of fame coach himself...learned from the best....and when Arizona was actually BALLING last year, their defense was NASTY.

Give me a tall glass of Ray Horton please

Check out our website for Philly Sports .
    Or PM me if you ever need a WEBSITE of course that will cost ya.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by c_reinert View Post
    You lay out your argument very well. My only conjecture would be the # of holes you say would be on a 3-4. In theory that is correct. However, its difficult to make the assumption that players would transition seamlessly. At this point we have no idea if Cox can play DE, if Graham can play OLB in the NFL or if Kendricks can play ILB. We also already know that Ryans doesn't perform nearly as effectively in the 3-4.

When you break it down that way you are looking at 4 holes along with 4 question marks. Leaves us with only 3 "sure things" on our defense (Jenkins, Aso and DRC) all of whom could potentially not be here next season and are have 2 of whom under performed last season.

I just think its such a huge gamble to undertake. High risk with un-astonishing reward, at least until several years down the road after weve had time to clean house. I dont think anyone is expecting these players to change to these positions and all of a sudden play BETTER, especially to a significant degree. And if youre looking to clean house eventually anyway, still makes sense to utilize what youve got in the most effective way possible in the meantime
    There may be a lot of question marks but from my vantage point the issue is who's teaching the guys. The defense is going to be poor regardless if we hire an average defensive coordinator and will continue to be average. I think first priority should be to hire the best defensive coordinator we can find regardless of scheme because what we've missed defensively hasnt been players it's been a coach.

vCash
    sad Lovie Smith doesnt want a DC gig

vCash
    Does anyone see a sliver of JJ Watt in Bjoern Werner? He's 6-4, 280 who played DE in a 3-4 at Florida. He's risen up the board and is a lock to go top 7 at this point. If he adds some more weight, he can be even better and more like Watt.

Another option for the 3-4 is Damontre Moore, he'd probably fit in best as a OLB in the 3-4. Not sure he's the best fit, though..

Jarvis Jones is my prediction to slip into the bottom half of the first round. Don't really like him as much as some do. From what I've watched, he succeeds on god given talent rather than a combination of effort/motor and skill. Not a fan of those guys. Plus, his injury history could scare 20 teams away from taking him.

FIRE ME!

I dont do five year plans other organizations do, I guess. - Ruben Amaro Jr

vCash
    My favorite player in the draft is Cordarrelle Patterson. My bold prediction is that by April, he will be considered a top 5 draft pick when the combine is all said and done. He's 6'3", 205 lbs. He clocked a 4.34 40 time this season, which is pretty insane for his size. Played in the SEC, which has some great secondaries. When he catches the football, he makes guys miss remeniscent of Terrell Owens. I would not be opposed to taking a guy with potential which is through the roof like Patterson. Physical freak, great hands, can literally do anything from kick returns/backfield/out wide.

His tape makes me feel warm inside. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjxkQXlCAfE

FIRE ME!

I dont do five year plans other organizations do, I guess. - Ruben Amaro Jr

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Illa215 View Post
    My favorite player in the draft is Cordarrelle Patterson. My bold prediction is that by April, he will be considered a top 5 draft pick when the combine is all said and done. He's 6'3", 205 lbs. He clocked a 4.34 40 time this season, which is pretty insane for his size. Played in the SEC, which has some great secondaries. When he catches the football, he makes guys miss remeniscent of Terrell Owens. I would not be opposed to taking a guy with potential which is through the roof like Patterson. Physical freak, great hands, can literally do anything from kick returns/backfield/out wide.

Thats a great tape. He does remind me of TO with a little more shake in him. That backwards running habit will get his head taken off in the NFL though. Big kid, super fast, seems to know how to use his body and will only get bigger. I like it. Top 5 pick?? Not sure about that. I'd be ok trading down get a kid like that.

vCash
    Justin Hunter is the better of the two, if he declares he will go before Patterson. Pattersons routes arent fluid enough in the NFL he will have to learn that. Also theres only a handful of players that East to West works with in the NFL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofphilly View Post
    Justin Hunter is the better of the two, if he declares he will go before Patterson. Pattersons routes arent fluid enough in the NFL he will have to learn that. Also theres only a handful of players that East to West works with in the NFL.
    Patterson will be drafted hire than Hunter, almost guaranteed. Hunter's a 2nd day selection, who's sitting between 2nd and 3rd rounds. Patterson is easily the better of the two coming into the draft. He's absolutely explosive.

I also can assure everyone that Patterson will not be available by our pick. He's being mocked in the 20-25 range currently, so we'd have to trade back up for him. We've got enough issues right now to worry about skill positions like WR and RB in the first two rounds.

That said, Patterson has a huge flaw: he runs like Reggie Bush. Backwards, side to side, runs around in circles.....things he learned at the JUCO level from 2010-2011. He got away with it in the SEC as well, because, it's still college. A lot of his really huge plays in college were simply because he's a more gifted runner than others. If he continues to run like that in the NFL, he'll suffer a lot of the same fate.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 01-19-2013 at 10:34 AM.
    #ClutchTime

vCash
    Does anyone see a sliver of JJ Watt in Bjoern Werner? He's 6-4, 280 who played DE in a 3-4 at Florida. He's risen up the board and is a lock to go top 7 at this point. If he adds some more weight, he can be even better and more like Watt.
    Yes, yes, yes. As a huge FSU fan I've watched all of Werner's games and he's an absolute stud. He'd look great in a Philly uniform.

vCash

WOW I'm in love

Authentic Phillies, Eagles , Sixers and Man City fan
    - I love Ray Lewis.

"Do not scorn a weak cub, he may become a brutal tiger"

vCash

Another option for the 3-4 is Damontre Moore, he'd probably fit in best as a OLB in the 3-4. Not sure he's the best fit, though..

Jarvis Jones is my prediction to slip into the bottom half of the first round. Don't really like him as much as some do. From what I've watched, he succeeds on god given talent rather than a combination of effort/motor and skill. Not a fan of those guys. Plus, his injury history could scare 20 teams away from taking him.
    Even if we switched to the 3-4 I dont see us taking a 3-4 DE with our first pick unless we get rid of Jenkins and Patterson's health is still in question
    PSD's c_reinert

vCash
    Patterson i feel personally is a gimmick, flashy doesnt work in the NFL hasnt ever worked. Everyone looks good on youtube. For every highlight video I wish there was a negative video too... Did you know that he lead VOLS history in more negative yardage plays? He had almost 105 yards going BACKWARDS.

Lets quote Chip Kelly here... football is the addition of how many players you can go FORWARDS if that number is greater then 80% you will win the game.

His hand are above standard, but his route running just isnt there....he will be a Colston type WR with no where near the production. Hunter is much more fluid and more of a Hakeem Nicks, big body great hands and good route running speed. I personally like him better then Patterson. I did get to see a lot of Vols football this year as I had a family friend that played on their team. Even the local announcers feel that Patterson is explosive but that Hunter is more equipped for a better NFL career.
    Last edited by fanofphilly; 01-20-2013 at 12:22 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofphilly View Post
    Patterson i feel personally is a gimmick, flashy doesnt work in the NFL hasnt ever worked. Everyone looks good on youtube. For every highlight video I wish there was a negative video too... Did you know that he lead VOLS history in more negative yardage plays? He had almost 105 yards going BACKWARDS.

Lets quote Chip Kelly here... football is the addition of how many players you can go FORWARDS if that number is greater then 80% you will win the game.

His hand are above standard, but his route running just isnt there....he will be a Colston type WR with no where near the production. Hunter is much more fluid and more of a Hakeem Nicks, big body great hands and good route running speed. I personally like him better then Patterson. I did get to see a lot of Vols football this year as I had a family friend that played on their team. Even the local announcers feel that Patterson is explosive but that Hunter is more equipped for a better NFL career.
    Chip Kelly's Oregon team had the most negative plays in NCAAF over the last four seasons.

We wont be drafting Patterson because we have other needs, but Kelly's teams tend to go backwards often. It's part of the boom/bust of his offense, so I really don't think Kelly pays much attention to how many negative plays he has, if he believes that quote.

Hunter is a product of the Tennessee offense needing to pass. Much like Bray. Patterson's the gem here, Hunter's got a lot of mediocre in him.
    #ClutchTime