Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 76 to 85 of 85
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    502
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Halladay View Post
    Are you comparing a physical medical condition to a mental one? as someone who's had GAD, i.e an anxiety disorder since I was 17, IMO you have no idea what you're talking about. With Morrow it's pretty simple, take insulin. For a guy like Greinke, it's much more complicated. There's no pill,doctor,voodoo, or anything else that suddenly makes it go away. To compare them at any level is absurd.
    As the father of a type 1 diabetic daughter, I think you're over simplifying it too.

    I think that we can agree though that they are both serious conditions, and unless you've lived it it can sometimes be hard to understand everything that can be involved with dealing with an illness. I do agree that comparing the two is very silly though.

    Hell, Type 1 and type 2 diabetes can be incredibly different illnesses (From treatment, to symptoms to complications involved). Comparing it to an entirely different disorder like depression/anxiety is silly at best and asinine at worst.

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,047
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Halladay View Post
    Are you comparing a physical medical condition to a mental one? as someone who's had GAD, i.e an anxiety disorder since I was 17, IMO you have no idea what you're talking about. With Morrow it's pretty simple, take insulin. For a guy like Greinke, it's much more complicated. There's no pill,doctor,voodoo, or anything else that suddenly makes it go away. To compare them at any level is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom2010 View Post
    diabetes px can die alot faster then a px who has anxiety....do the math...they are both medical complications
    Quote Originally Posted by Korac View Post
    As the father of a type 1 diabetic daughter, I think you're over simplifying it too.

    I think that we can agree though that they are both serious conditions, and unless you've lived it it can sometimes be hard to understand everything that can be involved with dealing with an illness. I do agree that comparing the two is very silly though.

    Hell, Type 1 and type 2 diabetes can be incredibly different illnesses (From treatment, to symptoms to complications involved). Comparing it to an entirely different disorder like depression/anxiety is silly at best and asinine at worst.
    Can I suggest that discussing various illnesses and how they can affect player performance is a futile activity that leads to reducing the qualities of an individual to the barriers of an illness? What is important in either situation is the qualities (or lack thereof) of the individual, the impact of support or medication and the overall level of functioning that the individuals possess in spite of their illness.

    Halladay, you are definitely right that dealing with an anxiety disorder has extra complications (and it sounds that your personal experience is a great evidence of this). But not all situations are equal, and I'm sure it is something every team will investigate with Greinke prior to committing to him long-term. None of us here have the specifics of his situation.

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    335
    vCash
    1500
    without discussing money, if Greinke were on the Blue Jays they would be a better team.

    I think if the Jays can afford it, then we should add Greinke to the team. Gives us another option just in case Romero continues his poor performance.

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    290
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkefied View Post
    without discussing money, if Greinke were on the Blue Jays they would be a better team.

    I think if the Jays can afford it, then we should add Greinke to the team. Gives us another option just in case Romero continues his poor performance.
    Yes but unfortunately Greike will want money and a lot of it.

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    335
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by armchairgm View Post
    Yes but unfortunately Greike will want money and a lot of it.
    Haha agreed, maybe we can pay him a lot of money.

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,099
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Korac View Post
    As the father of a type 1 diabetic daughter, I think you're over simplifying it too.

    I think that we can agree though that they are both serious conditions, and unless you've lived it it can sometimes be hard to understand everything that can be involved with dealing with an illness. I do agree that comparing the two is very silly though.

    Hell, Type 1 and type 2 diabetes can be incredibly different illnesses (From treatment, to symptoms to complications involved). Comparing it to an entirely different disorder like depression/anxiety is silly at best and asinine at worst.
    they are...type 1 diabetes pxs are always lean...they need insulin...whether for type II...they have a chance to be obese....and they have to control themselves....another thing is that if a type I diabetes px doesn't get treated properly...they could end up getting ketoacidosis....which is a severe case...another player who has diabetes is dustin mcgowan...and hes injury prone ...and ppl with diabetes need to take a long time to recover from their injury

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    9,358
    vCash
    1500
    go big or go home.

    Its not like youre overpaying for marginal talent. Greinke is an ace. That being said - of course the formalities with the agent and gauging the interest from Greinke and if Greinke does like Toronto, of course we put some money on the table.

    nothing wrong with offering money to a guy who is interested (if).



  8. #83
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    28,438
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Korac View Post
    As the father of a type 1 diabetic daughter, I think you're over simplifying it too.

    I think that we can agree though that they are both serious conditions, and unless you've lived it it can sometimes be hard to understand everything that can be involved with dealing with an illness. I do agree that comparing the two is very silly though.

    Hell, Type 1 and type 2 diabetes can be incredibly different illnesses (From treatment, to symptoms to complications involved). Comparing it to an entirely different disorder like depression/anxiety is silly at best and asinine at worst.
    Oh, I know all about diabetes. Pretty much everyone in my family has it as it runs in both sides. Which is strange because not one person in my family is overweight, which is usually typical of onset diabetes. I still find it absolutely absurd to make the comparison.

    Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    Can I suggest that discussing various illnesses and how they can affect player performance is a futile activity that leads to reducing the qualities of an individual to the barriers of an illness? What is important in either situation is the qualities (or lack thereof) of the individual, the impact of support or medication and the overall level of functioning that the individuals possess in spite of their illness.

    Halladay, you are definitely right that dealing with an anxiety disorder has extra complications (and it sounds that your personal experience is a great evidence of this). But not all situations are equal, and I'm sure it is something every team will investigate with Greinke prior to committing to him long-term. None of us here have the specifics of his situation.
    No, I can't say with certainty that I know what's exactly going through Greinke's head but I do know that he didn't wanna come here before because he'd have to go to Boston and New York frequently and he also admitted to purposely trying to injure his arm years ago so he would never have to pitch again. Whether these things are still an issue is yet to be seen but those are some red flags.

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    28,438
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom2010 View Post
    diabetes px can die alot faster then a px who has anxiety....do the math...they are both medical complications
    Do what math? the math on some completely arbitrary comparison you made? Why not compare dandruff and autism too?

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,047
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Halladay View Post
    Oh, I know all about diabetes. Pretty much everyone in my family has it as it runs in both sides. Which is strange because not one person in my family is overweight, which is usually typical of onset diabetes. I still find it absolutely absurd to make the comparison.

    No, I can't say with certainty that I know what's exactly going through Greinke's head but I do know that he didn't wanna come here before because he'd have to go to Boston and New York frequently and he also admitted to purposely trying to injure his arm years ago so he would never have to pitch again. Whether these things are still an issue is yet to be seen but those are some red flags.
    Definitely red flags. If AA is seriously interested in Greinke (and his price tag), which I doubt he is after what's already been done this off-season, I'm sure he'd have to take an in depth look at all of those things and make an assessment (hopefully with help from someone with experience with concerns of this nature).

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •