Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Gortat RIPS Gentry; unhappy in PHX & wants bigger role

Marcin Gortat recently had a fascinating talk with Przeglad Sportowy's Marcin Harasimowicz after his game against the Los Angeles Lakers. The interview is in Polish, but worry not, there's no Google Translate needed. Because you have me, a bilingual Pole on a mission to share the latest updates in the life of everyone's favorite Polish Gazelle-Hammering Machine. Additionally, the portal reports Gortat rejected an extension for the 2014-15 season, and might be traded, as the Magic, Mavs, Bulls and Celtics are interested in his services. Yikes. Gortat's comments are worth noting for anyone following the Suns franchise and its solid Polish center.

Here's the interview (full interview and my reaction after the jump). All credit to Przeglad Sportowy and Marcin Harasimowicz, of course.

• • •

A lot has changed in the Suns since last season.

Marcin Gortat: Unfortunately, in my case – for worse. I'm certainly not the player I was last season, I need to find my place in the new order. I'm still capable of helping this team, and regularly recording a double double, but when the ball sticks to one person on offence, it's hard to find a good rhythm.

Last season you've scored a lot of points off of Steve Nash pick and rolls. The team doesn't play that way anymore.

MG: That's true, but I can score in various situations. Finishing pick and rolls, in transition, from midrange, around the rim. There are a lot of options. Unfortunately, my two strongest plays – the pick and roll and post-ups have been taken away from me. It's not easy, we have a lot of plays that don't include me. And my chemistry with Goran Dragic hasn't been quite equal to what I had with Steve. These are things that we need to work on.

Coach Alvin Gentry told me that the main post option was Luis Scola. You, on the other hand, are number one on defense.

MG: Unfortunately... I've been doing the dirty work all my life, and now I have to come back to that. I will fight for what's mine. I'll try to prove to the coach that I can play an important role in the offence. Unfortunately, I don't think I'm even an option for Gentry. He doesn't even take me into consideration. The situation is critical. We're playing the same thing we've been playing last year, but the truth is we have a completely different set of players. I don't think it really works. I can't get frustrated now though, I have to stay positive.

The Suns have a lot of players that create for themselves.

MG: We have plenty of players who like to create for themselves, but it doesn't always work. We don't share the ball as much as we have in previous seasons. The ball doesn't move around the perimeter – it usually stops after one or two passes. You can't play like this, let alone win. Basketball is a team sport. Nobody ever won a game alone.

Before the season you were promising a fight for the playoffs, but from the picture painted by the past few games, the Suns don't seem like a top 8 team in the West.

MG: Before the season started, I was a huge optimist. I thought we'd play a completely different game. Right now, it doesn't look good. We still have a lot to learn, and a lot to fight for. We need to fix our team defence. We can't give up a hundred points per game. We'll see how it works out. Right now, I'm not losing hope, there's still a shot at the playoffs.

Did the coach honestly tell you what he expects from you?

MG: We've talked before the season started. He said he expects me to play defence, rebound, block shots and quarterback the defence. He also said he wanted me to set up in the paint and wait for my shots. And I'm still waiting... (laughter)

What are you expecting in the coming week?

MG: After the game against the Miami Heat, we have a longer break and some time to correct some errors in practice. It won't be easy though.

Maybe you should have an honest conversation with Coach Gentry?
    MG: I don't know if it will change anything. But I'll surely have a chat with him.

While in Los Angeles, have you talked to Steve Nash?
    MG: Yes, he came in for a visit in the locker room. I can only sigh – too bad he isn't with us any longer...

http://gothicginobili.com/?p=5142
    I am glad at least one of our players is speaking out about Gentry. I have been saying it for two years but I'll say it again: Fire Gentry and promote Elston Turner

vCash
    Honestly, It looks to me like either a bad transaltion or someone is trying to spread rumors here. It's obviously an interpretation of what he actually said as it wouldn't translate quite so well if it wasn't. An article translated by someone else shouldn't be 100% trusted.

Not saying Gortat isn't unhappy with his role but I'd like to see the actual polish article before I believe it.

Recently he's been getting plenty of touches too, he's just been missing shots. That game against Utah was completely on him and from then on he's still not been hitting shots.
    Last edited by Huntey; 11-20-2012 at 05:46 AM.

vCash
    I just google translated the article and the gist is similar but it seems to me less of Gortat complaining about his role and more of a guy who's struggling a little with the new offense and without Nash. He does state he'd like a bigger role and I agree with him to an extent; he's a good option in the post and we should go there more.

vCash
    I think RIPS is pretty harsh. He discusses what was asked of him this season and that it's not going as planned.

We have a lot of guys who can score and it's a brand new team that has to find chemistry. For him to expect that everything would go as planned right away is silly.

vCash
    I thinks rips is pretty accurate. I didn't say bash