Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ImGoinToJackson View Post
    I wish the best for Fulmer; not sure UK is that but if he wants it I say go for it.

Real eye opener about Dooley's recruiting b/c he received all the credit for LSU's recruiting classes under Saban. Wonder why that fell apart.

Wonder if butch wants a shot @ the Auburn job?

I can't remember UTK ever having a kicking situ it is in currently.
    I would have welcomed Fullmer here with open arms. But I think the team wants to shy away from age. Rich Brooks was great for us....but he always was a ticking time bomb of age. Fullmer may get us to 7-5 for 5 years, but I think he's only got 5-7 years left in him.

UK wants to go young. All the guys they're looking at....are young. Doesn't surprise me we went away from him.

Not sure what Jones is going to do but he's a hot name right now. I expect him in the SEC next year, either at Arkansas, Tennessee or Auburn at this point.
    #ClutchTime

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Don't fret about Fullmer to UK. UK's down to, essentially, 4 names it seems. Dykes, Macintyre, Stoops and Anderson. Fullmer has said he'd listen to the Cats if they came calling, but we never did.

UK's about to hire one of the four names listed above. Maybe as early as tomorrow. Seems like tonight all the local UK websites are picking it up. Macintrye seems to be the name thrown around the most, but I wouldn't handicap anyone as a favorite right now.

For my sake, I hope it's Dykes.

On a UT note, Butch Jones appeared to be the favorite for the UK job, until he pulled out recently. Apparently he's under the impression he's a favorite for Tennessee and wanted that one more.
    I'm pretty sure its gonna be Sonny Dykes. He has ties to the program and runs an big offense which they seem to like at Kentucky.

I wish the best for Fulmer; not sure UK is that but if he wants it I say go for it.

Real eye opener about Dooley's recruiting b/c he received all the credit for LSU's recruiting classes under Saban. Wonder why that fell apart.

Wonder if butch wants a shot @ the Auburn job?

I can't remember UTK ever having a kicking situ it is in currently.
    That Auburn job is gonna be very interesting because you have to keep in mind that they are in the middle of an NCAA investigation. Big names aren't gonna want to take that job only to end up with a bowl ban or scholarship losses.

vCash
    When I went out for dinner they had somebody that covers UT on sports radio. He was talking about the state of the program and mentioned that he had spoken with many of the players this week about whether they were returning or going pro and it was pretty interesting but not looking good for Tennessee.

Patterson - He said its pretty much 100% that he is going to the draft. People are telling him that he is projecting out as a 1st-2nd round pick.

Justin Hunter - He isn't projecting as well as Patterson but they are telling him anywhere from 2nd-4th round pick. But he stated that Hunter is thinking about going pro because of his family and the fact that he has a 4-month old baby.

Tyler Bray - He said that Tyler Bray said he is waiting to see what everybody else does before making a decision to return for his senior year. He made mention that if Hunter and Patterson go he will be losing his top 4 receivers from this season and possibly several of his key offensive linemen. You take that and factor in that he will have a new head coach, new offensive coordinator and new offense to learn and he may go pro.

Daniel McCullers - This one threw me off but he said that supposedly Daniel McCullers is really considering going pro as well. His frame alone would make him at worst a 3rd round pick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    I'm pretty sure its gonna be Sonny Dykes. He has ties to the program and runs an big offense which they seem to like at Kentucky.
    At this point, I think Dykes is the least likely out of Stoops, Macintrye and himself. What people outside forget is that while he has ties here, they're not the....best ties. His OC, Franklin? After he was done here, wrote a tell-all book, and ousted some people who did make violations, and gave the school a pretty good black eye. While those people are gone, the sentiments remain, I'm sure, by someone. Franklin is probably a package deal with Dykes.

Mike Macintrye is picking up a lot of steam on the UK boards. Dude fixed SJSU up pretty well. From 1-12 to 10-2 in two years. I think UK thinks he can do the same here.

In the end, I think Butch Jones would have been the guy had UT not got his interest.
    #ClutchTime

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    At this point, I think Dykes is the least likely out of Stoops, Macintrye and himself. What people outside forget is that while he has ties here, they're not the....best ties. His OC, Franklin? After he was done here, wrote a tell-all book, and ousted some people who did make violations, and gave the school a pretty good black eye. While those people are gone, the sentiments remain, I'm sure, by someone. Franklin is probably a package deal with Dykes.

Mike Macintrye is picking up a lot of steam on the UK boards. Dude fixed SJSU up pretty well. From 1-12 to 10-2 in two years. I think UK thinks he can do the same here.

In the end, I think Butch Jones would have been the guy had UT not got his interest.
    Butch Jones would be a great hire for Tennessee. I can't imagine why he would leave Cincinnati for Kentucky. At Cincinnati he has a team that is consistently gonna win 8+ games and every couple years win the conference and possibly play in a BCS bowl. That is never gonna happen at Kentucky.

If they think that anybody can come in and make Kentucky a 10-win team in 2 seasons they are delusional. It isn't nearly as hard to do that kind of turnaround in the WAC when the top 4 teams (Boise State, Fresno State, Hawaii and Nevada) all left for a better conference these last 2 years.

I imagine that Kentucky would have a pretty decent turnaround if Alabama, LSU, Georgia and Florida all left the conference and were replaced with FCS teams.

vCash
    Butch Jones would be a great hire for Tennessee. I can't imagine why he would leave Cincinnati for Kentucky. At Cincinnati he has a team that is consistently gonna win 8+ games and every couple years win the conference and possibly play in a BCS bowl. That is never gonna happen at Kentucky.

If they think that anybody can come in and make Kentucky a 10-win team in 2 seasons they are delusional. It isn't nearly as hard to do that kind of turnaround in the WAC when the top 4 teams (Boise State, Fresno State, Hawaii and Nevada) all left for a better conference these last 2 years.

I imagine that Kentucky would have a pretty decent turnaround if Alabama, LSU, Georgia and Florida all left the conference and were replaced with FCS teams.
    Oh I doubt they think we're going 10-2 any time soon. But I also don't think it's impossible for this team to go 8-4 at some point in the nearish (like 3-4 years) future, either. We've actually got a fantastic young group of WR's and QB's that Joker Phillips just refused to use in any way, shape, or form that resembled "useful". Instead we toiled with Newton and a bunch of retread WR's.

In the end, UK's job isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. We're SEC. We've got a few good players (Max Smith will play in the NFL, for example) and I think if you can show promise early, the money will pour in. If you can upgrade our facilities to a degree, we can compete at that 6-8 win level. Never going to win the SEC East, but we can make a little noise from time to time.
    #ClutchTime

vCash
    Sounds like done deal.

Coaches I'd like to see taken seriously as replacement candidates:

Chavis
    ND def. coord
    andy reid

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/tenness...70--ncaaf.html

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...another-season
    I don't think there's any way that Andy Reid is going to go to the NCAA at this point in his career.

vCash
    I forgot to mention earlier they guy they had on the radio said that they expect Tennessee to talk to Jimbo Fisher, Al Golden, Tommy Tuberville and Mike Gundy about the job. He said that he thinks Al Golden might be the guy because they almost hired him instead of Derek Dooley and both sides had mutual interest at the time.

Anybody have any clue why Jimbo Fisher keeps coming up at Tennessee, Arkansas and Auburn? Is he really unhappy at Florida State or has something happened that I missed because those all seem like a step backward from Florida State.

vCash
    I forgot to mention earlier they guy they had on the radio said that they expect Tennessee to talk to Jimbo Fisher, Al Golden, Tommy Tuberville and Mike Gundy about the job. He said that he thinks Al Golden might be the guy because they almost hired him instead of Derek Dooley and both sides had mutual interest at the time.

Anybody have any clue why Jimbo Fisher keeps coming up at Tennessee, Arkansas and Auburn? Is he really unhappy at Florida State or has something happened that I missed because those all seem like a step backward from Florida State.
    My guess? It's the SEC, dude. Why stay in the boring *** ACC if you can jump ship to a legit SEC school?

They may be an initial step back, but I think you can do much more at Tennessee and Auburn than you can do at FSU these days.
    #ClutchTime

vCash
    I have some really good info for you guys. Gonna break this down into 2 parts.

I found this article talking about how bad Dooley was at recruiting especially in Tennessee.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2...-dooley-staff/
    Ive honestly never understood the though process with UT coaches and instate recruiting.

-Lost out on Randall Cobb b/c they wouldnt simply let him have a shot at competing for QB. Instead wanted to make him a DB.

-Lost out on Patrick Willis (wanted to move him to running back)

-Lost out on Carl Stewart (Auburn FB in '04) wanted to make him a linebacker.

-Originally missed out on Brandon Warren because they didnt feel he could play at D1 level. (Finally came into the recruiting process right at the end after a lot of local uproar)

These are just a few that I know off the top of my head. There's little things Fulmer did that just didnt make sense to me. Like in the late 90s he recruited a O-lineman out of Sevier Co because he was 6'4'' and 300 something pounds and when Fulmer met him the guy sat on his but with his legs out and bent over and touched his nose to the floor. Fulmer was quoted as saying "He's the most athletic big man Ive seen" (quote was in an old Murphy Fair book)....they guy, as far as I know, never even stepped foot on the field for UT.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYYankees12 View Post
    Ive honestly never understood the though process with UT coaches and instate recruiting.

-Lost out on Randall Cobb b/c they wouldnt simply let him have a shot at competing for QB. Instead wanted to make him a DB.

-Lost out on Patrick Willis (wanted to move him to running back)

-Lost out on Carl Stewart (Auburn FB in '04) wanted to make him a linebacker.

-Originally missed out on Brandon Warren because they didnt feel he could play at D1 level. (Finally came into the recruiting process right at the end after a lot of local uproar)

These are just a few that I know off the top of my head. There's little things Fulmer did that just didnt make sense to me. Like in the late 90s he recruited a O-lineman out of Sevier Co because he was 6'4'' and 300 something pounds and when Fulmer met him the guy sat on his but with his legs out and bent over and touched his nose to the floor. Fulmer was quoted as saying "He's the most athletic big man Ive seen" (quote was in an old Murphy Fair book)....they guy, as far as I know, never even stepped foot on the field for UT.
    From what I remember they had an issue with him coming from Alcoa and them just being 2A at the time. When in reality they would have beaten most teams in the state regardless of classification. Just look at the battles they had with Maryville who was dominating 4A and was ranked nationally at that time.

I'm from Trousdale Co. and its the same thing we were 1A and barely getting any credit from colleges even though we were regularly playing and beating 3-4A schools. One of the years we won state we blew out Smith County who made it to the semifinals in 2A and beat Livingston Academy who won 3A.

vCash
    Huge rumors coming out of Lexington that Stoops is the guy barring some last minute ****. He is apparently also gonna try to bring Coley with him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YanksFan4Life View Post
    Huge rumors coming out of Lexington that Stoops is the guy barring some last minute ****. He is apparently also gonna try to bring Coley with him.
    I doubt it's Coley. I think it's going to end up being Neal Brown from TTU.

But yes, Stoops is your guy at UK.
    #ClutchTime

vCash
    From what I remember they had an issue with him coming from Alcoa and them just being 2A at the time. When in reality they would have beaten most teams in the state regardless of classification. Just look at the battles they had with Maryville who was dominating 4A and was ranked nationally at that time.

I'm from Trousdale Co. and its the same thing we were 1A and barely getting any credit from colleges even though we were regularly playing and beating 3-4A schools. One of the years we won state we blew out Smith County who made it to the semifinals in 2A and beat Livingston Academy who won 3A.
    It was never mentioned that it had to do with Alcoa (that I know of at least). I would like to think (as it seems you do) that UT and their coaches understand that "lil ol Alcoa" isnt just another tiny little school in Tennessee. They seemingly had no problem going after Billy Williams in the 90s (even though they let Shannon Mitchell slip by) and also recruited Al Davis and Todd Upton in the 60s/70s. Heck, just a few years before they were looking at Dustin Lindsay (who signed but couldnt get the grades to get in), Brandon Warren (who eventually came) as well as Rae Sykes (who played for UT after qualifying for grades). Anyway, I just remember vividly because on my Bday I always went to Outback Steakhouse (dunno why..looking back their food sucks) but on the way up there there was a radio interview with Cobbs father and he mentions Randall wanting to play QB and that UT wasnt interested in giving him the chance to just compete for the job.

As for Fisher, I believe AD Dave Hart is an old FSU guy if Im not mistaken. It wouldnt surprise me if A)He's a friends with Fisher and would like to have him as "his guy" as Fisher was the "man in waiting" while he was at FSU or B)He and Fisher are close and by putting his name "out there" FSU will bump up his pay raise some and it helps his friend out. Im not sure if FSU releases their coaches salaries (I believe like Miami and Stanford, they're a private university) so Im not sure what kinda of money he makes right not compared to what UT could/would offer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123