Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    It is true but he will still likely end up a 2nd or 3rd round pick. These smart football guys turn into idiots when they see 6'4 receiver run a 4.3-4.4 at the combine. Remember Tyrone Calico? He was pretty much Justin Hunter and was a 2nd-3rd round pick from MTSU. The guy had a learning disability and couldn't even learn the playbook. He had players telling him what routes to run in the huddle and was so fundamentally flawed...
    I do remember Calico And I wish Roy Williams hadn't ruined his knees with that horse collar crap or might still be playing.

I can't see someone in good conscience trying to convince Hunter to go pro b/c 'look at Tyrone Calico' tho I knw that was not your intent. I just think the money won't be there at those rds like he can nab in the 1st with a proven season of skillset reaching talent level. To me, he has done nothing so far to garner that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYYankees12 View Post
    Im sorry you took me saying "Not to sound like a dick" as me being a dick. If you took it that way then you obviously misread or misunderstood what I was saying or how I was typing. I could care less myself about my "street cred" or my "internet ego." I was just passing along information that I received from a person himself. Like I said, Im not a UT fan and as long as they dont hire Jim Harbaugh, I could care less who is the next UT coach.

I apologize for saying that I understand that in this day and age if you dont have a "source" then its obviously not true. I was just clarifying myself for others whom might venture into this thread. I guess Ive spent too much time on Volnation.com where everyone there just assumes if there's no source its false....that is unless someones uncles-cousins-sisters-husbands-brothers dad saw Jon Gruden at Walmart. Then its a story!!
    I think at last we see eye-to-eye. No worries

vCash
    My dad says he heard on the radio that gruden was enrolling his kids in school in knoxville… I cant find a source I would consider reliable enough to engage this as a possibility… Does anyone hear know anything about this or have a source deemed reliable that is reporting this?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ImGoinToJackson View Post
    I do remember Calico And I wish Roy Williams hadn't ruined his knees with that horse collar crap or might still be playing.

I can't see someone in good conscience trying to convince Hunter to go pro b/c 'look at Tyrone Calico' tho I knw that was not your intent. I just think the money won't be there at those rds like he can nab in the 1st with a proven season of skillset reaching talent level. To me, he has done nothing so far to garner that.
    I don't know about his situation but something to keep in mind is his family situation. If you have a kid that comes from a family in really bad poverty conditions it might be awfully hard not to come out and get paid especially when your team is falling apart. When you come from the projects a 4-year $4 million contract mind as well be a billion dollars.

My dad says he heard on the radio that gruden was enrolling his kids in school in knoxville… I cant find a source I would consider reliable enough to engage this as a possibility… Does anyone hear know anything about this or have a source deemed reliable that is reporting this?
    They have been saying that for a month. Clay Travis joked on his show that Jon Gruden can teleport because apparently according to several reports all on one day he was in Tennessee, Arkansas and California talking to programs and still managed to do a game broadcast that night LOL

I don't buy it. I posted it in another thread that Dave Hart said that he is waiting for some teams to finish up their seasons. I doubt he would say that if they already had something in place with Jon Gruden.

The rumors online are insane.... Him being in Knoxville seemingly every other day. His kids visiting and enrolling in different schools. I even heard that supposedly he already signed and its a 6-year $31 million contract.

vCash
    There was a rumor going around last monday that he was in town with his family visiting Webb High School (private school in Knoxville) however it was shot down by a lot of people "in the know" saying it would be hard for him visiting a HS in Knoxville while trying to get ready for MNF in San Francisco.

The last I heard on the radio was that there was a deal that was "very close" to being done late Tuesday/Early Wednesday but apparently there was something in the contract talks (rumored to be Gruden wants "Saban power" and David Hart doesnt want to agree to it) and that it caught the snag in the dealings. One guy on the radio said before the week started he would have said there was a 15% chance of him coming, as talks heated up Tuesday he would elevate it to around 30% chance but after the falling out about the contract dealings he would now put it more around 5% at best.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    I don't know about his situation but something to keep in mind is his family situation. If you have a kid that comes from a family in really bad poverty conditions it might be awfully hard not to come out and get paid especially when your team is falling apart. When you come from the projects a 4-year $4 million contract mind as well be a billion dollars.
    This is a valid point that I failed to take into consideration. truthfully I would never tell a kid to pass on the opportunity to make millions; I admit I wish they'd come back to give UTK a better chance to compete next yr. But I still stand by my assertion these guys could all benefit from one more yr coaching if they could stay healthy thru it
    Last edited by ImGoinToJackson; 11-24-2012 at 07:05 PM. Reason: grammah

vCash
    There was a rumor going around last monday that he was in town with his family visiting Webb High School (private school in Knoxville) however it was shot down by a lot of people "in the know" saying it would be hard for him visiting a HS in Knoxville while trying to get ready for MNF in San Francisco.

The last I heard on the radio was that there was a deal that was "very close" to being done late Tuesday/Early Wednesday but apparently there was something in the contract talks (rumored to be Gruden wants "Saban power" and David Hart doesnt want to agree to it) and that it caught the snag in the dealings. One guy on the radio said before the week started he would have said there was a 15% chance of him coming, as talks heated up Tuesday he would elevate it to around 30% chance but after the falling out about the contract dealings he would now put it more around 5% at best.
    Hadn't heard any of that; very interesting indeed. Thanks for this!

vCash
    I watched the game today and listened to the speculation among the commentators as to who would be considered for each school. Nothing to even add to this thread just pure unqualified speculation including all of the usual names w/ no rhyme or reason behind any of them.
    My favorite part? They speculated Phil Fulmer would be considered for UK job… Right; the man who spent like 40yrs with UT (player/grad assist/assist coach/HC) would consider coaching Kentucky…

vCash

Clay Travis pretty much reported something along those lines as well. He said that Tennessee had gone as high as a 8-year deal at $4 million a year. But as mentioned above Gruden pretty much wanted total control and $3 million a year for his assistants.

vCash
    I watched the game today and listened to the speculation among the commentators as to who would be considered for each school. Nothing to even add to this thread just pure unqualified speculation including all of the usual names w/ no rhyme or reason behind any of them.
    My favorite part? They speculated Phil Fulmer would be considered for UK job… Right; the man who spent like 40yrs with UT (player/grad assist/assist coach/HC) would consider coaching Kentucky…
    It is alot more realistic than you think.... He hasn't dismissed the job when asked about it.

- His buyout payments from Tennessee end after this season.

- He has expressed interest in a wide range of jobs within the last year. He said he was interested in the Arkansas job when everything went down with Bobby Petrino. He said that he would take the job at North Carolina if offered the position. He also expressed interest in the opening at Kansas which is nearly in the same exact position as Kentucky in terms of their football program.

He has said in the past that he would return to coach a team that he feels can win a championship. Well if he was considering North Carolina and Kansas then why not Kentucky? Because North Carolina and Kansas have about the same chance as Kentucky at winning a BCS championship. None.

- Who is the Kentucky AD? Mitch Barnhart. Who was the AD at Tennessee from 1986-1998 and was there with Fulmer. Even more than that they are very close friends and Fulmer himself has said that they talk regularly about all things football.

- Lexington is only 2-3 hours away from Phillip Fulmer's current home.

I don't think it happens but just saying there are plenty of reasons why he would take the job. I'm hearing that they have LA Tech Sonny Dykes, Western KY Willie Taggart and SJ State Mike MacIntyre as the top realistic options.
    Last edited by steelcityroller; 11-25-2012 at 02:06 PM.

vCash
    Steelcity,

wasn't aware of the connections to KY; thought that was just blind guessing. Fulmer out to try throwing his hat in to Auburn ring.

Man Gruden wants a boatload if those reports are true; thats a ton to ask of any school. $3 mill per assist? Serious change there & I can understand how UTK is reluctant to fork it out considering all the dough they will owe this staff, and what they have lost in revenue this last 20 months.

Thanks guys!! keep us informed its a big help

vCash
    Steelcity,

wasn't aware of the connections to KY; thought that was just blind guessing. Fulmer out to try throwing his hat in to Auburn ring.

Man Gruden wants a boatload if those reports are true; thats a ton to ask of any school. $3 mill per assist? Serious change there & I can understand how UTK is reluctant to fork it out considering all the dough they will owe this staff, and what they have lost in revenue this last 20 months.

Thanks guys!! keep us informed its a big help
    No no no he wanted $3 million for his entire staff. So pretty much $7-8 million a year for Gruden and his staff.

vCash
    I have some really good info for you guys. Gonna break this down into 2 parts.

I found this article talking about how bad Dooley was at recruiting especially in Tennessee.

In a Times Free Press early-season poll of 37 prep coaches from southeast Tennessee, northwest Georgia and northeast Alabama, 32 gave Dooley and his staff a failing grade for recruiting rapport and overall communication and effectiveness. Those coaches admitted the lack of familiarity and comfort level in dealing with the UT staff directly affected the recruitment of any current or future prospects in their program.
    "You would think [the UT coaches] would make a special point to come here every year, at least to check in, but we didn't hear from them at all," said Calhoun (Ga.) coach Hal Lamb, whose program has had at least one player sign with an FBS program each of the last four years. "The two staffs before, even if we didn't have a kid at the time, they took time to build the relationship for the future for when you did have a kid that they would want.
    "If Derek Dooley had stayed as their coach, I would've had a hard time advising any player to go there," current Hixson and former Rhea County coach Jason Fitzgerald said this past week. "That staff didn't follow up or return calls, and really I had no idea who even recruits our area for UT because I've never had one of their coaches come through my door.

"I can tell you who recruits our school for Alabama, Georgia, Ole Miss, Missouri and even Tennessee Tech, because I have personally seen them here and get phone calls and emails from those schools and others," added Fitzgerald, who played in the SEC at Auburn. "The only thing I ever heard from UT since Dooley was there was to advertise their camp and tell me how much it would cost."
    Another area coach, whose program has produced multiple FBS and FCS signees over the past five years agreed, saying, "I have Vanderbilt come here quite a bit, and they've let it be known this is one of their areas to make a priority. Dooley didn't look at the Chattanooga area as a place they needed to own. We got the last courtesy call and actually had a graduate assistant instead of a position coach when they did call, so you certainly don't feel like a priority."
    Just very eye opening.

It also talks about a local kid who was one of the highest rated punters and he was gonna chose Tennessee and try out as a walk-on rather than take a scholarship elsewhere and they told him that they didn't even want him to try out for the team. He is currently averaging 48 yards a punt and was the Sun Belt All-Conference punter last year.

Then it talks about 5-star safety Von Bell who had Tennessee high on his list. He got offers and scouts from Alabama, Georgia and Ohio State before even hearing anything from Tennessee. Furthermore his coach informed Tennessee that he had a big game during their off-week and that he was real interested in the program. They didn't even send a scout to the game. This is a 5-star defense prospect (which they desperately need) from your state showing interest in your program and you can't even send a scout to a game?

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2...-dooley-staff/

vCash
    Don't fret about Fullmer to UK. UK's down to, essentially, 4 names it seems. Dykes, Macintyre, Stoops and Anderson. Fullmer has said he'd listen to the Cats if they came calling, but we never did.

UK's about to hire one of the four names listed above. Maybe as early as tomorrow. Seems like tonight all the local UK websites are picking it up. Macintrye seems to be the name thrown around the most, but I wouldn't handicap anyone as a favorite right now.

For my sake, I hope it's Dykes.

On a UT note, Butch Jones appeared to be the favorite for the UK job, until he pulled out recently. Apparently he's under the impression he's a favorite for Tennessee and wanted that one more.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    I wish the best for Fulmer; not sure UK is that but if he wants it I say go for it.

Real eye opener about Dooley's recruiting b/c he received all the credit for LSU's recruiting classes under Saban. Wonder why that fell apart.

Wonder if butch wants a shot @ the Auburn job?

I can't remember UTK ever having a kicking situ it is in currently.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast