Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 44
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Danville, Pa
    Posts
    1,827
    vCash
    1500

    Espn, Yahoo reporting Dooley has been fired

    Sounds like done deal.

    Coaches I'd like to see taken seriously as replacement candidates:

    Chavis
    ND def. coord
    andy reid

    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/tenness...70--ncaaf.html

    http://espn.go.com/college-football/...another-season

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Danville, Pa
    Posts
    1,827
    vCash
    1500
    oh yeah… Yay!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    40,344
    vCash
    500
    There are better openings so right off the bat that is gonna hurt them a little bit. You have many of their better players not coming back next year as well. Tyler Bray is gonna come back but both Justin Hunter and Patterson are gone. Then their schedule is brutal for the next 3 years. It's gonna be hard for them to get a big hire.

    They need to hire a proven head coach. They can't afford to take a gamble on an NFL coach or coordinator from another school. For the record Charlie Strong has already shot down any chance of him going to Tennessee.

    Some options

    Dan Mullen of Miss State

    A long shot but they need to call and at least offer the job. Tennessee is a better job than Miss State and the SEC East is currently easier than the SEC West. He would also get slightly more money at Tennessee. He is making $2.75 million a year at Miss State while Tennessee would likely pay $3-3.5 million a year.

    It would be a marginal job improvement but is that enough for Dan Mullen to move? Probably not.

    He has wins over Georgia and Florida.

    Pat Fitzgerald of Northwestern

    You have guy that is in his late 30s who is in his 6th year as head coach in the Big 10. He has had them bowl eligible every year at a program that is the equivalent of Vanderbilt in the Big 10. People say that he doesn't want to leave but it would be a step up as Tennessee is a bigger program and he is currently making $1.8 million a year. And UT pay much more than that amount. He has had wins over Michigan State, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Michigan and Iowa (2 times).

    David Cutcliffe of Duke

    I think this could be their backup plan Derek Dooley-type hire if they fail to get a bigger name coach. He has coached in the SEC and at Tennessee in the past. He had winning seasons at Ole Miss and Duke which are both really hard to accomplish. Also he is only making $1.5 million at Duke.

    Paul Rhoads of Iowa State

    A guy that deserves a look as in 4 years at Iowa State he has had them bowl eligible 3 years. That is a good feat with that program in the Big 12. He was also the DC at Auburn prior to taking that position. While at Iowa State he has beat TCU, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech (twice), Texas and Nebraska.

    Butch Jones of Cincinnati

    This would be one of my top targets. Butch Jones has a 48-26 coaching record at Central Michigan and Cincinnati winning 2 MAC championships and 1 Big East championship. He has won 7 or more games in 5 of his 6 years as head coach.

    Furthermore he is currently only making $1.5 million a year. Tennessee could offer him a substantial increase in salary.

    Gus Malzahn of Arkansas State

    Everywhere this guy has been he has been successful at a high level. He won multiple state championships and set all kinds of records in high school. He led a very successful offensive attack at Arkansas. He won a national championship at Auburn as the OC. Now he has Arkansas State at 8-3 and doing amazing offensively.

    He interviewed for Vanderbilt and North Carolina in the past. He is currently making $850,000 a year at Arkansas State. Tennessee could afford to literally triple his salary.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    14,210
    vCash
    1500
    More likable than some of the guys who have coached in this conference.
    Last edited by Bravo95; 11-19-2012 at 01:45 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Alcoa, Tn
    Posts
    916
    vCash
    1500
    Bray has said privately that he (along with Hunter and Patterson) were gone no matter who was coaching UT next year.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Northwest Arkansas
    Posts
    54,772
    vCash
    1500
    It's crazy how far Tennessee's fallen in such a short time. While it's still a good job, it doesn't seem like a great one anymore and it won't get any easier with their upcoming schedule these next few years (@ Oregon & OU twice, not to mention a ridiculously tough SEC schedule next year).
    Last edited by DamnGoat; 11-19-2012 at 01:40 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Danville, Pa
    Posts
    1,827
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo95 View Post
    More likable than some of the guys who have coached in this conference.
    Im alumni and I was a big supporter of him throughout. Simply stated though there was really never any improvement on the field, he had trouble keeping coaches & that spoke to me to leadership qualities, and then the fact that there were so many mindless penalties every game I felt like players were not developing the mental capacity contribute ti better results down the rd.

    I really, really wanted him to work out! I felt the criticism he withstood so early was entirely unnecessary and the mess he inherited from kiffin (I wish someone would sock that guy) was too much for anyone to overcome in 2 seasons.

    But this team should have been a .500 sec conference record and easy mid-major bowl contender. 8-4 was the record I wanted to see… It was just too much for him to handle.

    I hope he can land a smaller school job and develop a perennial powerhouse somewhere; I wish him nothing but the best.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Danville, Pa
    Posts
    1,827
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NYYankees12 View Post
    Bray has said privately that he (along with Hunter and Patterson) were gone no matter who was coaching UT next year.
    Can you source this for me?

    Bray and Hunter are not ready for pro football. IMO that would be a very poor decision to come out for them. Patterson could probably make the transition to the pro game but next yr he might be a Heisman finalist too.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Danville, Pa
    Posts
    1,827
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by DamnGoat View Post
    It's crazy how far Tennessee's fallen in such a short time. While it's still a good job, it doesn't seem like a great one anymore and it won't get any easier with their upcoming schedule these next few years (@ Oregon & OU twice, not to mention a ridiculously tough SEC schedule next year).
    I agree. I wish Kiffin had never happened. It will take a tremendous effort to ever make UTK a contender again.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    40,344
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by ImGoinToJackson View Post
    Can you source this for me?

    Bray and Hunter are not ready for pro football. IMO that would be a very poor decision to come out for them. Patterson could probably make the transition to the pro game but next yr he might be a Heisman finalist too.
    Agreed. The difference between them though is that Justin Hunter has NFL talent and will get drafted based on talent and expectations alone. I have seen guys less ready and less talented than him get drafted in the 2nd and 3rd round.

    Tyler Bray isn't ready in any way. He needs alot more coaching and needs to add more bulk as well.

    From what I've read and heard on the radio they have known that Patterson is gone for weeks. Apparently he wasn't even gonna be academically eligible to play in 2013.

    Also I don't see how you can say that anybody on this team is gonna be a Heisman finalist when they still have yet to hire a coach, key guys have decisions to make on staying and they will be nowhere near the national title picture. For a wide receiver to win the Heisman you need to be on a national champion team and put up monster numbers receiving and on special teams.

    Look at what guys like Calvin Johnson done on average teams and got no Heisman recognition.

    Quote Originally Posted by ImGoinToJackson View Post
    Im alumni and I was a big supporter of him throughout. Simply stated though there was really never any improvement on the field, he had trouble keeping coaches & that spoke to me to leadership qualities, and then the fact that there were so many mindless penalties every game I felt like players were not developing the mental capacity contribute ti better results down the rd.

    I really, really wanted him to work out! I felt the criticism he withstood so early was entirely unnecessary and the mess he inherited from kiffin (I wish someone would sock that guy) was too much for anyone to overcome in 2 seasons.

    But this team should have been a .500 sec conference record and easy mid-major bowl contender. 8-4 was the record I wanted to see… It was just too much for him to handle.

    I hope he can land a smaller school job and develop a perennial powerhouse somewhere; I wish him nothing but the best.
    This team had the schedule and talent to go 8-4. With a better coach they don't lose to Missouri. They also probably beat Miss State and Georgia. And certainly don't get blown out by Vanderbilt.

    I can't see him doing much anywhere of significance. There are certain stats from his 6-year coaching career that speak volumes of his game day coaching abilities. No come from behind wins. No wins against ranked teams. High amounts of penalties.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo95 View Post
    More likable than some of the guys who have coached in this conference.
    Nice guy but terrible football coach.

    Quote Originally Posted by ImGoinToJackson View Post
    I agree. I wish Kiffin had never happened. It will take a tremendous effort to ever make UTK a contender again.
    I am by no means a fan of Tennessee but what Lane Kiffin done on his way out was just disgusting and to the USC fans that support the guy I hope he ****s your program over just as bad on his way out.

    Its bull**** that the NCAA is penalizing Tennessee for some things that Lane Kiffin done on his way out knowing that he was leaving for USC and that Tennessee would take the hit and he would be free and clear.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Danville, Pa
    Posts
    1,827
    vCash
    1500
    Isn't it ironic Al Davis was considered crazy and the whole lane kiffin fiasco in OAK was sort of swept under the rug as ol' crazy Al… Now it looks like he was trying to warn others of this kiffin creep and some should have listened more.

    honestly tho… I don't want Cutcliffe as a HC. Duke is probably the best thing to ever happen to him. I hope he sticks there. He's pretty old too. I can't imagine he'd want another project like this.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Alcoa, Tn
    Posts
    916
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ImGoinToJackson View Post
    Can you source this for me?

    Bray and Hunter are not ready for pro football. IMO that would be a very poor decision to come out for them. Patterson could probably make the transition to the pro game but next yr he might be a Heisman finalist too.
    Not to sound like a dick but if it was said "privately" the obviously the only source is Tyler himself. It was all said by Tyler after the Florida game. . Let's just say that when his family flies in from California his dad loves eating and Shoneys (down the hwy from the university) and Tyler wasnt exactly the "happiest" person after the Florida loss. Trust me the Tyler Bray in person and the Tyler Bray that talks to Heather Harrington on Sports Animal are two totally different people.

    I know how people on the internet always want "sources" but you can look through all my previous posts on the site...I dont go around just spouting rumors at all, so why would I just randomly start now? Especially when Im not even a Tennessee fan ya know?

    Also I agree with you that Bray isnt ready for the NFL. I also think he lacks a lot of the mechanics that he needs/should have right now. Sadly I question if that can be coached up next year by whomever the coach is or even by someone in the NFL. Hunter I think will be fine. I think the main reason for Hunter wanting to go is his knee injury last year. Its always in the back of your mind about getting hurt again and I dont think Hunters stock is going to get much higher then it is right now (I think he's listed as a top 5 WR in a lot of draft boards). Patterson will go simply because he's an idiot and probably wont be academically eligible to play.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Danville, Pa
    Posts
    1,827
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NYYankees12 View Post
    Not to sound like a dick but if it was said "privately" the obviously the only source is Tyler himself. It was all said by Tyler after the Florida game. . Let's just say that when his family flies in from California his dad loves eating and Shoneys (down the hwy from the university) and Tyler wasnt exactly the "happiest" person after the Florida loss. Trust me the Tyler Bray in person and the Tyler Bray that talks to Heather Harrington on Sports Animal are two totally different people.

    I know how people on the internet always want "sources" but you can look through all my previous posts on the site...I dont go around just spouting rumors at all, so why would I just randomly start now? Especially when Im not even a Tennessee fan ya know?

    Also I agree with you that Bray isnt ready for the NFL. I also think he lacks a lot of the mechanics that he needs/should have right now. Sadly I question if that can be coached up next year by whomever the coach is or even by someone in the NFL. Hunter I think will be fine. I think the main reason for Hunter wanting to go is his knee injury last year. Its always in the back of your mind about getting hurt again and I dont think Hunters stock is going to get much higher then it is right now (I think he's listed as a top 5 WR in a lot of draft boards). Patterson will go simply because he's an idiot and probably wont be academically eligible to play.
    I had no intention of bruising your ego by asking for some way to investigate what you posted unsourced like a fact w/o any explanation to your run-in with papa bray @ the shoney's breakfast bar.

    I dont need to character reference you posting history b/c 1. I could care less; 2. i'm not interested in your internet street-cred b/c 3. I'm not hiring I simply wanted to see if some numbnut walk-on offered an unqualified opinion vs. the-read-btwn-lines duplicity of the coaching staff when questioned on the matter.

    For not wanting to be a dick you sure turned into one by your second paragraph. Disappointed in your response to say the least… I simply wanted to get more info from you; since I read your post to be one based on knowledge.

    Beyond bray's footwork; his reading defense coverages, and holding onto the ball way too long are also reasons he is not ready. I see Casey Clausen with a better arm.

    Hunter may lead the nation in dropped passes and poorest running routes. Once coaches/scouts stop reading his hype & watch his tape he could drop to the 4th rd and cost himself millions.

    Patterson someone earlier said (is) wont be (not) academically eligible for next semester… He gone… Unfortunate as well.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Alcoa, Tn
    Posts
    916
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ImGoinToJackson View Post
    I had no intention of bruising your ego by asking for some way to investigate what you posted unsourced like a fact w/o any explanation to your run-in with papa bray @ the shoney's breakfast bar.

    I dont need to character reference you posting history b/c 1. I could care less; 2. i'm not interested in your internet street-cred b/c 3. I'm not hiring I simply wanted to see if some numbnut walk-on offered an unqualified opinion vs. the-read-btwn-lines duplicity of the coaching staff when questioned on the matter.

    For not wanting to be a dick you sure turned into one by your second paragraph. Disappointed in your response to say the least… I simply wanted to get more info from you; since I read your post to be one based on knowledge.

    Beyond bray's footwork; his reading defense coverages, and holding onto the ball way too long are also reasons he is not ready. I see Casey Clausen with a better arm.

    Hunter may lead the nation in dropped passes and poorest running routes. Once coaches/scouts stop reading his hype & watch his tape he could drop to the 4th rd and cost himself millions.

    Patterson someone earlier said (is) wont be (not) academically eligible for next semester… He gone… Unfortunate as well.
    Im sorry you took me saying "Not to sound like a dick" as me being a dick. If you took it that way then you obviously misread or misunderstood what I was saying or how I was typing. I could care less myself about my "street cred" or my "internet ego." I was just passing along information that I received from a person himself. Like I said, Im not a UT fan and as long as they dont hire Jim Harbaugh, I could care less who is the next UT coach.

    I apologize for saying that I understand that in this day and age if you dont have a "source" then its obviously not true. I was just clarifying myself for others whom might venture into this thread. I guess Ive spent too much time on Volnation.com where everyone there just assumes if there's no source its false....that is unless someones uncles-cousins-sisters-husbands-brothers dad saw Jon Gruden at Walmart. Then its a story!!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    40,344
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by ImGoinToJackson View Post
    I had no intention of bruising your ego by asking for some way to investigate what you posted unsourced like a fact w/o any explanation to your run-in with papa bray @ the shoney's breakfast bar.

    I dont need to character reference you posting history b/c 1. I could care less; 2. i'm not interested in your internet street-cred b/c 3. I'm not hiring I simply wanted to see if some numbnut walk-on offered an unqualified opinion vs. the-read-btwn-lines duplicity of the coaching staff when questioned on the matter.

    For not wanting to be a dick you sure turned into one by your second paragraph. Disappointed in your response to say the least… I simply wanted to get more info from you; since I read your post to be one based on knowledge.

    Beyond bray's footwork; his reading defense coverages, and holding onto the ball way too long are also reasons he is not ready. I see Casey Clausen with a better arm.

    Hunter may lead the nation in dropped passes and poorest running routes. Once coaches/scouts stop reading his hype & watch his tape he could drop to the 4th rd and cost himself millions.

    Patterson someone earlier said (is) wont be (not) academically eligible for next semester… He gone… Unfortunate as well.
    It is true but he will still likely end up a 2nd or 3rd round pick. These smart football guys turn into idiots when they see 6'4 receiver run a 4.3-4.4 at the combine. Remember Tyrone Calico? He was pretty much Justin Hunter and was a 2nd-3rd round pick from MTSU. The guy had a learning disability and couldn't even learn the playbook. He had players telling him what routes to run in the huddle and was so fundamentally flawed...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •