Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N.E.PanthersFan View Post
    I hear Ron Rivera might be available.

Depends what you're looking for... Andy Reid? A college coach like Spurrier or Chip Kelly? Gruden or Cowher? Perry Fewell? Jason Garrett will probably be available.

Were you implying that you don't want Gruden or Cowher? If you want a coach who's going to get guys fired up, look no further...
    No I'd like Gruden or Cowher, but its' like a 5% chance they'd take the job. Gruden is immensely happy where he is and just got an extension and Cowher probably has zero interest in coming into this mess at this point in his career.

BRING BARRETT TO CAROLINA, GETTLEMAN!

MMA FIGHTERS: WERDUM, JONES, SONNEN, MAYHEM, BELFORT, HENDRICKS, MAYNARD, ALDO, WINELAND

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    What are you going to do with Gamble?
    Gamble stays where he is. I'm not convinced Norman is the answer across from him. Even if he is, Gamble is getting old and injury prone. No harm having two possible replacements.

Captain is only for ST and nickel.

MMA FIGHTERS: WERDUM, JONES, SONNEN, MAYHEM, BELFORT, HENDRICKS, MAYNARD, ALDO, WINELAND

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCBoSoxfan21 View Post
    Gamble stays where he is. I'm not convinced Norman is the answer across from him. Even if he is, Gamble is getting old and injury prone. No harm having two possible replacements.

Captain is only for ST and nickel.
    Eh, I don't think CB is really a necessity. I would rather take an OT in round 2. I think Norman deserves another year, he has shown signs of being quite good. Munnerlyn has been better than I expected him to be on the outside this year, and Josh Thomas has actually shown a lot playing that slot position right now as well. I think CB is a position that we should either draft another guy in the 4th/5th to throw into the competition, or sign a journeyman veteran type to do the same.

vCash
    Eh, I don't think CB is really a necessity. I would rather take an OT in round 2. I think Norman deserves another year, he has shown signs of being quite good. Munnerlyn has been better than I expected him to be on the outside this year, and Josh Thomas has actually shown a lot playing that slot position right now as well. I think CB is a position that we should either draft another guy in the 4th/5th to throw into the competition, or sign a journeyman veteran type to do the same.
    Well like I said I want us to sign one of the good FA LTs and move Gross over to RT. If we do that, we don't need to take an OT in R2. An OG in 3-5 would be wise though.

Amerson or McDonald would be a wise pick with our 2nd.

Especially if we hire Bradley who likes to have big athletic DBs. That 'legion of boom' that they run out there in Seattle with Kam Chancellor, Browner, Thomas, and Sherman is amazing.
    Last edited by NCBoSoxfan21; 11-20-2012 at 02:19 PM.

vCash
    I think that article kinda sucks, and is pretty poorly thought out. The Panthers are going to hire a DC to be their HC just because previous coaches were DCs? That's poor logic. The Panthers are going to hire the best person for the job, regardless of what their background is. And this idea that you can't hire a coach from a team that isn't good is kind of foolish. Not to mention the Dolphins and Cardinals aren't very good anyways.

MBC, I think you're overrating the idea of a coach bringing players along with him. Don't worry about that crap. Besides, what ties do players like Jake Long, Anthony Fasano, and Brian Hartline have to the DC in Miami? Probably not many. Just go out and hire the best individual, don't worry about which players he could theoretically bring along with him. That's an easy way to get in deep trouble.
    I think it is poor logic to state that it will be a DC, but I don't think it's poor logic to think they might go the same route, since that's what they've done in the past. I'd love to see them get a great offensive minded coach (something like what Mangenius and McDaniels were supposed to be). I did find it funny that they marked off losers (Bengals DC Zimmer included), but listed the teams they did.

Yeah, I realize that the coach should be the #1 priority, not his ties, I'm just saying whoever the coach is, hopefully he can bring some good talent to our team with him.

I agree with this, unless we somehow manage to sign Long/Clady (not likely at all). Unless there is a player who was project as a mid-first CB and he looks like a perfect fit and immediate impact player, I'd rather not draft a CB in the 2nd, especially if we get Star with our first pick. Our DL is playing well enough to cover up a lot of our problems at CB, and Norman having another year's experience + Gamble + Munnerlyn at nickel makes me think we'd have better positions to use that 2nd on.

vCash
    Well like I said I want us to sign one of the good FA LTs and move Gross over to RT. If we do that, we don't need to take an OT in R2. An OG in 3-5 would be wise though.

Amerson or McDonald would be a wise pick with our 2nd.

Especially if we hire Bradley who likes to have big athletic DBs. That 'legion of boom' that they run out there in Seattle with Kam Chancellor, Browner, Thomas, and Sherman is amazing.
    I wouldn't count on us signing an OT of that caliber. It could happen, but it isn't likely.

Why would you want Amerson? He hasn't even looked good for most of this year.

We already have tall DBs. Norman is 6'2'', Gamble and Martin are 6'1''. Godfrey is only 5'11'', but so is Earl Thomas.

vCash
    I actually think it's highly unlikely that we choose a DC as head coach. Look at the top DCs in the league over the last decade or so -- Dick LeBeau, Dom Capers, Ron Rivera, Mike Nolan, Perry Fewell, Wade Phillips. Of the ones that have been given head coaching jobs, how many have been successful?

The thing with good defensive coordinators is that they're really, really cerebral guys. They make their names and money by preparing and out-maneuvering the opposing offense. Honestly, I think Chud would be a poor head coach for the same reason -- he's a cerebral guy. That kind of personality is quite different from a Gruden or a Cowher or a Harbaugh, who are all really firey, passionate guys. (That's not to say a cerebral guy couldn't be successful -- look at Belichick.) From what little I know of Chip Kelly, he seems like the kind of firey personality that could inspire a lockerroom.

Honestly, if I'm Bill Cowher, I'm looking down the highway at Charlotte and I'm looking at all the talent there and I'm welcoming the challenge of righting the ship. With the backfield we have and the defense we have, Cowher would love the chance to get in here, shore up the offensive line, and have Newton be more of a game manager while he develops his mechanics and leadership. Then again, I'm a Steelers fan in my spare time, so I grew up watching him do exactly that.

As for off-season moves, I really don't want to start thinking about that until the season is over and a new GM and coaching staff are hired (assuming there will be a new coaching staff). So many of the moves that will be made will depend on the philosophy of whatever new coaches are brought in. For example, if someone like Cowher is brought in, I think he'll want to keep both Williams and Stewart; if someone like Mike Martz was brought in, Stewart would probably be enough and Williams would be gone. No matter who it ends up being, there are going to be a lot of difficult decisions to make and I'm really not looking forward to that.

vCash
    As for off-season moves, I really don't want to start thinking about that until the season is over and a new GM and coaching staff are hired (assuming there will be a new coaching staff). So many of the moves that will be made will depend on the philosophy of whatever new coaches are brought in. For example, if someone like Cowher is brought in, I think he'll want to keep both Williams and Stewart; if someone like Mike Martz was brought in, Stewart would probably be enough and Williams would be gone. No matter who it ends up being, there are going to be a lot of difficult decisions to make and I'm really not looking forward to that.
    I honestly don't want a Martz offense or a Cowher offense. I'm not saying Newton needs to be throwing 40 times per game, but he certainly doesn't need to be playing as a game-manager. Martz's offense would put this team back another 3 or so years (and probably end up trading off Olsen). Unless our new coach/GM/whoever leans toward a heavy run game we're probably going to see Williams leave or have a huge contract reduction this offseason. No sane HC who wants to run a balanced offense is going to want to pay two HBs that well when we have Newton who can run and have Tolbert for an emergency HB.

vCash
    I actually think it's highly unlikely that we choose a DC as head coach. Look at the top DCs in the league over the last decade or so -- Dick LeBeau, Dom Capers, Ron Rivera, Mike Nolan, Perry Fewell, Wade Phillips. Of the ones that have been given head coaching jobs, how many have been successful?

The thing with good defensive coordinators is that they're really, really cerebral guys. They make their names and money by preparing and out-maneuvering the opposing offense. Honestly, I think Chud would be a poor head coach for the same reason -- he's a cerebral guy. That kind of personality is quite different from a Gruden or a Cowher or a Harbaugh, who are all really firey, passionate guys. (That's not to say a cerebral guy couldn't be successful -- look at Belichick.) From what little I know of Chip Kelly, he seems like the kind of firey personality that could inspire a lockerroom.

Honestly, if I'm Bill Cowher, I'm looking down the highway at Charlotte and I'm looking at all the talent there and I'm welcoming the challenge of righting the ship. With the backfield we have and the defense we have, Cowher would love the chance to get in here, shore up the offensive line, and have Newton be more of a game manager while he develops his mechanics and leadership. Then again, I'm a Steelers fan in my spare time, so I grew up watching him do exactly that.

Hopefully you're just using him as an example because Martz would be a big hell ****ing no. He has been an abject failure in the last several OC jobs he has had.

vCash
    I wouldn't count on us signing an OT of that caliber. It could happen, but it isn't likely.

Why would you want Amerson? He hasn't even looked good for most of this year.

We already have tall DBs. Norman is 6'2'', Gamble and Martin are 6'1''. Godfrey is only 5'11'', but so is Earl Thomas.
    Amerson is an awesome talent. I'd have him in the 2nd if we signed an OL.

We have tall DBs, but not all of them are good. Martin sucks. Norman is okay, looking good. Gamble is old and injury prone. Again I don't want to rely on him. Not to mention that while he was great last year, he's not been consistent.

vCash
    Amerson is an awesome talent. I'd have him in the 2nd if we signed an OL.

We have tall DBs, but not all of them are good. Martin sucks. Norman is okay, looking good. Gamble is old and injury prone. Again I don't want to rely on him. Not to mention that while he was great last year, he's not been consistent.
    Hah, no he isn't. He had one good year, and hasn't looked nearly as good this year.

Martin doesn't suck. He's not a great tackler, but he's good in coverage. You could do a lot worse. He's a hell of a lot better than Haruki Sukamura.

vCash
    I was just mentioning Martz as an example of a pass-heavy offense to illustrate the differences that a coaching staff can have on personnel decisions. Personally, I'd love a situation that brings Cowher as HC and maybe Whisenhunt as OC. I wouldn't mind keeping Rivera or McDermott as DC.

vCash
    I was just mentioning Martz as an example of a pass-heavy offense to illustrate the differences that a coaching staff can have on personnel decisions. Personally, I'd love a situation that brings Cowher as HC and maybe Whisenhunt as OC. I wouldn't mind keeping Rivera or McDermott as DC.
    Uhh, a HC isn't going to accept a freaking demotion within the same team. That is lunacy. McDermott, I would love to keep around.

vCash
    Uhh, a HC isn't going to accept a freaking demotion within the same team. That is lunacy. McDermott, I would love to keep around.
    I'm not saying he would, but I'd like it. It's not like Rivera's going to get a HC job elsewhere next season. Maybe Andy Reid hires him wherever he lands.

And we were able to talk Ron Meeks into accepting a demotion from DC to secondary coach, so it's not completely unprecedented.

I hope the new coach is smart enough to keep some position coaches in house. Skipper's a good example from the last regime change, the DL coach would be a great example from the current regime.

vCash
    I'm not saying he would, but I'd like it. It's not like Rivera's going to get a HC job elsewhere next season. Maybe Andy Reid hires him wherever he lands.

And we were able to talk Ron Meeks into accepting a demotion from DC to secondary coach, so it's not completely unprecedented.

I hope the new coach is smart enough to keep some position coaches in house. Skipper's a good example from the last regime change, the DL coach would be a great example from the current regime.
    I'm not sure I'd like it. He has already failed here in one position. No need to give him an opportunity to fail in another, even if he's less likely to do so.

That was a different situation. The NFL was going into a sure lockout, and coaches were looking to latch on before the lockout became official so that they would have contracts instead of being unemployed when no teams were going to be hiring. That's the only reason Meeks was around for an extra year.

I'm not particularly tied to anyone on this staff. I would like to keep McDermott around, but no big deal to me if the new GM/HC decide to clean house. I would say Steve Wilks and John Settle are the most likely guys to stick around since they're from the area, but that's about the most I think you'll see on carryover. I guess Sam Mills III probably stays and maybe Ricky Proehl, but they aren't really "official" assistants.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast