Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: trade idea?

vCash
    Is there any reason that people think Pho will part with Gortat? He is a big on a cheap contract. Pho is a team that is in the hunt for the #8 spot (although its a long shot). And they have no salary issues. If anything, they would use him to ship out Frye's awful contract and would expect a lot in return.

As far as Walton goes, who cares, his contract is up at the end of the year. So all we would be doing is paying him for half a year as a necessity for getting Varejao. Big deal. I don't know if I love trading for him, but if the Spurs really think he is the guys, the taking on Walton is no big deal.

vCash
    We need a temporary wing right now, why not Raja Bell, he doesnt have the toughness of Sjax, i doubt he can play PF, but he's a good defender, can shoot the 3 and utah is thinking of waiving him, why not get him for james anderson or a 2nd?

if sjax comes back, he will become expandable, since we have raja bell, we can trade sjax (with bonner or sumthn) for varejao and walton. We get a big, and a 6 mil expiring contract, they get an expiring contract 10 mil, can amnesty bonner for another 3-4 mil, and get to see their rookie play.
    Cavs can bet on gordon or batum next yr with that money.

And for us we get a big without sacrificing too much depth.

most importantly, lakers doesnt get bell for free. We dont want to see the lakers getting better do we?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zappist View Post
    We need a temporary wing right now, why not Raja Bell, he doesnt have the toughness of Sjax, i doubt he can play PF, but he's a good defender, can shoot the 3 and utah is thinking of waiving him, why not get him for james anderson or a 2nd?

if sjax comes back, he will become expandable, since we have raja bell, we can trade sjax (with bonner or sumthn) for varejao and walton. We get a big, and a 6 mil expiring contract, they get an expiring contract 10 mil, can amnesty bonner for another 3-4 mil, and get to see their rookie play.

most importantly, lakers doesnt get bell for free. We dont want to see the lakers getting better do we?
    A couple issues.

Bell makes 3.4 million, so we would need to trade alot more than Anderson (who we can't trade anyways).
    Bell is really old and is really struggling that is why Utah doesn't want him, in no way does he replace the production or intensity that SJax offers us.
    Lakers can have Bell, I don't think he will really help them.

Second, only we can amnesty Bonner. Once he is traded the other team has to buy him out or keep him. They don't have the amnesty option.

Finally, Gordon and Batum both signed long term deals this offseason, so neither is a free agent.

Sorry.

vCash
    Im not pushing the idea but

Bell makes 3.4 million, so we would need to trade alot more than Anderson (who we can't trade anyways).
    ---anderson is just a sample, it could be de colo, joseph etc

Bell is really old and is really struggling that is why Utah doesn't want him
    ----to be honest i didnt see him played, just tought sjax and diaw became better when we signed them, we made them feel the passion again. if you think hes too washed up to even be the backup of kawhi then he sucks we dont need him.
    I just thought he should still have something thats why lakers likes him, he just hates utah and their coach.

agreed that he cant be better than jackson, but hes like 1/3 the price

Second, only we can amnesty Bonner. Once he is traded the other team has to buy him out or keep him. They don't have the amnesty option.

i thought wizards traded lewis to horNETS THEN amnestied by hornets, how did they do that? im sorry im not very good at it.

gordon and batum are just samples, there should be other free agents...

not pushing the idea just explaining my random thoughts

vCash
    Yeah, I wasn't trying to be a jerk. I was just trying to point out that it can't quite work the way you had hoped. I knew you were thinking just Anderson, but my point is that we would have to trade some major assets. If it isn't Bonner or Splitter, then we would need to trade at least 3 of the other guys and that really kills our depth and youth. So if the spurs were interested in him, they would just wait until he was cut.

As far as his play, those were my personal opinions. Maybe he still does have something left, but he had a really tough year last year in Utah, that is why they aren't even playing him. So he may be a decent role player, but I just don't think he is worth the energy at this point. Even if we trade Jax, I think there would be other suitable replacements out there that we could go after.

And as far as Lewis goes, NO just waived him. So he is actually still on their payroll for 13+ million this year. The rule is that each team only gets one amnesty and it must be used on your own player that was already under contract when this rule was established. The other thing is that there is a window, so no one else can be amnestied until the beginning of next year. So actually, Bonner and Parker will be our only players that we can amnesty this coming fall and I think we all know how that will turn out.

I know you were just trying to process some thoughts. I wasn't trying to shut them down, just trying to keep the talk focused on the logistics of what is actually possible and not possible. Sorry if it came of as cold.

vCash
    appreciate your explanation. Thanks

vCash
    maybe splitter is all the duncan apprentice the spurs need. i withdraw my trade manu idea. man i'm just so frustrated the spurs have taken so long to put a guy like splitter next to timmy.

vCash
    Casspi on his way out of Cleveland?
    Written by Jose Grijalva

Omri Casspi was a highly sought out asset when his name became available from the Sacramento Kings. The Cleveland Cavaliers took full advantage of that and traded for him, hoping he'd be the future of the franchise. Recently, he's been more of a bench warmer than anything else only averaging 13 minutes this season with his team. There's been some unknown confusion or miscommunication between Casspi and his coach, Byron Scott, because Casspi took advice from Scott as to what to improve for this season in the NBA. Instead of increased minutes, he's seen decreased minutes and chances which have made rumors swirl about him leaving Cleveland this year.

The San Antonio Spurs have been interested in him in the past, could they still try to make a trade now? It would be interesting to see if they are, with a surplus of small players and enough bigs for the season.

The bigger question is, who could the Spurs give up for Casspi that wouldn't seriously deplete their roster for this season's championship run?

Omri is earning $2.27 million this season with a qualifying offer $3.31 million next season. The Spurs could easily match that with a DeJuan Blair/Cory Joseph combination without giving up too much, maybe throw Gary Neal in there to sweeten the offer and also make the roster thinner to where Spurs players will know more or less their roles for the season.

The Spurs have a surplus of bigs and we've seen head coach Gregg Popovich have confidence with Stephen Jackson at the power forward position alongside Tim Duncan, Boris Diaw, and Tiago Splitter (with Matt Bonner getting little to no minutes during games). When a team seems to not have use for a player or the player wants out of that team, any leverage for a trade is lost and it seems the Cavs may not have much of that unless a team desperately wants Casspi on their team.

Omri's energy and offense would give the San Antonio Spurs an unprecedented amount of talent to backup Kawhi Leonard, having teams with superstar small forwards not have a decent rest in the majority of their minutes against the Spurs. If the Spurs can pull off a trade and tinker their roster with their nucleus in check, it would mean bad news for the rest of the NBA.

projectspurs.com

'Coach, we've got an issue with Kawhi in the arena. Event management called and the lights are not on, and Kawhi's in the arena for two straight days at 6:30 in the morning. And he brought two lamps from home, and he put them up in the arena and shot.'

^

(During NBA lockout)

"No flash, No gimmicks. It's the quiet guys you should fear."

vCash
    Why would the Spurs trade 2 rotation players for a player that wouldn't even get on the court with a healthy Leonard and Jackson?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sssmush View Post
    no offense but the Spurs are freakin' communists bro. They should get with Stern's capitalist agenda like NOW

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexTmz2 View Post
    Casspi on his way out of Cleveland?
    Written by Jose Grijalva

projectspurs.com
    Sorry, but not overly impressed within this take. Would I pick up Casspi for the cheap, absolutely, but that is a pretty hefty price. I agree with Giraffes in that we are losing alot of productivity in this scenario. In addition we would be sacrificing our front court (even though it is just Blair) for a solution to a temporary problem. Leonard, Jackson and Green will all be healthy and take up all the minutes at the 3. And even if another injury does occur it won't be this drastic and Diaw and Gino are fine in a pinch. And we can always sign a 10day guy for the bench. So this move makes little sense.

I also don't quite understand his statement about people knowing their roles. This is how Pop does minutes and the guys understand it. I don't think there is mad confusion over who is getting minutes and just dropping guys in a 3-1 doesn't seem like a logical solution even if it was a problem. Plus Cleveland, I believe, is at the roster limit, so they will have to just randomly cut someone. If anything they would take a pick over that third player.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zappist View Post

Sorry but Bell is pure trash at this point. The guy couldn't secure a rotation Spot on a Back court that is just plain bad. He's also no Wing and his good defender days are gone.
    Honestly he wouldn't solve a single issue and just clog the spurs full back court.

The Spurs really don't need Back court or Wing help, Sjax and Kawhi will return, Green and Gino can play the Wing. I just don't see why we would want anything else then a Big........

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patman View Post
    Sorry but Bell is pure trash at this point. The guy couldn't secure a rotation Spot on a Back court that is just plain bad. He's also no Wing and his good defender days are gone.
    Honestly he wouldn't solve a single issue and just clog the spurs full back court.

The Spurs really don't need Back court or Wing help, Sjax and Kawhi will return, Green and Gino can play the Wing. I just don't see why we would want anything else then a Big........
    That was his point in a round about way. He was explaining that we could get rid of some of our wing/back court players to bring in Varejao and then we could have Bell to fill that loss. It was backwards but I don't think he would have assumed that we would keep them all and not eventually get a big.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12