Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Mets May Be Close On Offer To Dickey

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/n...iations-111712
    The New York Mets could be on the verge of a breakthrough in their negotiations with National League Cy Young Award winner R.A. Dickey.

Or, maybe not.

The Mets plan to offer Dickey a two-year contract extension, according to major league sources. Whether Dickey would accept such a deal remains to be seen.

Dickey, 38, is under contract next season for $5 million. He likely would want at least $20 million for two years, but his exact wishes are not known.

The Mets have been talking with Dickey while also gauging his trade value with other clubs.

New York's general manager, Sandy Alderson, told reporters Friday that the team soon will need a resolution in its talks with both Dickey and third baseman David Wright.

Wright is under contract for $16 million next season, but the Mets are trying to sign him to an extension as well. The team recently made him an offer, and Wright’s agents made a counter-proposal, sources said.

“It’s still very early,” Alderson said. “But between Thanksgiving and the winter meetings (Dec. 3-6) — and (during) the winter meetings themselves — we need to have a little more clarity than we have now.”

Dickey’s response to the team’s proposal should provide some clarity.

But if the Mets want to keep Dickey, they can continue negotiating with him until Opening Day, the deadline that players and teams often use for contract talks.The same timetable applies to Wright.

The other option for the Mets is to trade Dickey, a move that would be highly unpopular with their fans.

Dickey went 20-6 with a 2.73 ERA for a fourth-place club last season, and on Wednesday became the first knuckle-ball pitcher to win a Cy Young Award.

His tale of personal and professional redemption has increased his appeal to many fans, and his season was not a one-year aberration. Dickey, in three seasons with the Mets, is 39-28 with a 2.95 ERA, averaging 205 innings per season.
    Was kind of hesitant to post this because of the second sentence (and Rosenthal in general) but it seems like 2 years could be the max on Dickey.

Don't blame the messenger on the title, it's not mine btw lol.

I could see why Dickey's agents are using Peavy's contract as a precedent for what they believe Dickey is worth.

All i know is i hope a decision is made soon on what they are doing with RA.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-17-2012 at 04:03 PM.

vCash
    eh, I see the fifth word of the article as "could". So from then on, you take everything with a grain of salt.

THANK YOU PROKY!!!

vCash
    I want him for 3 years. He is my favorite player right now, keep him. I'd rather be entertained than anything else with this team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wdwyer View Post
    eh, I see the fifth word of the article as "could". So from then on, you take everything with a grain of salt.
    Exactly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nymetsrule View Post
    I want him for 3 years. He is my favorite player right now, keep him. I'd rather be entertained than anything else with this team.
    This is such a unique situation.

I really don't know if there is a precedent for what to do with RA.

How many guys come on this late in their career (35 and older) and win a Cy Young award?

It's conceivable to say Dickey could have another 5 great years but it's also conceivable that he could only have another 2 great years and start to decline.

It's a great problem to have but a problem nonetheless.

If he is ok with 2 years, then sign him up without question but "reports" and actuality are two different things.

Saying that, you have to factor in the direction of the team over the next 3-4 years, what Dickey is worth on the trade market, and what the Wilpon's finances are (in regards to what are they going to do with all that extra payroll flexibility next year)
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-17-2012 at 04:58 PM.

vCash
    RA was on w Francesa after winning the award, and Mike asked him why he'd sign with the Mets. Dickey stated he had a sit down with SA and that he [Dickey] totally bought into what SA was saying and SA's plan for the future.

You can probably pull up the audio file on wfan.com.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    I want him traded in a trade like the Beltran for Wheeler trade.

Sell high. If he returns to just being normal (high 3's-low 4's ERA), then we lose out on a great opportunity. Our best shot now is by loading up the farm with legit prospects. The Beltran-for-Wheeler trade showed that SA can get something. Let's trade Dickey while he's a hot item!!!!!!

vCash
    I do not think the Mets can get a stud for Dickey, but a solid package of 2 B level guys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    I do not think the Mets can get a stud for Dickey, but a solid package of 2 B level guys.
    No body thought SA would be able to get a Wheeler for a rental of Beltran, but he did.

I say at least shop him and see what you can get. If such a good trade presents itself, I say take it.

vCash
    I'd keep him for several reasons. First, he's a great pitcher. A rotation of Dickey, Harvey, Wheeler, Niese, and possibly Johan sounds freaking ridiculous, and I'm excited about it.

Secondly, he's worth more to us than he is to others, meaning we'd be trading from a position of weakness. Not only would a trade partner have to pay him, they'd also have to give up prospects for the right, so it's not likely we'd pull a Wheeler-type player in return.

Third, he's maybe the greatest story in baseball in a long time, and a quality human being. That's the kind of guy I want on the Mets. I want to root for him, and if I'm the Wilpons, he's the kind of guy I want beside David Wright as a face of the franchise.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bootleg42 View Post
    No body thought SA would be able to get a Wheeler for a rental of Beltran, but he did.

I say at least shop him and see what you can get. If such a good trade presents itself, I say take it.
    Nah, I though he could and should of gotten a guy like Wheeler for Beltran, it was the press that thought otherwise.

vCash
    Tear up 2013 and sign him for 3 yrs at 30 mil and call it good.
    " You seek Yoda!

vCash
    Sign him for 3 years.
    DUDA

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    An Ace that cost 5 million, who posted an era of 2.95, a WHIP of 1.15 and 200 innings over the past 3 years is only worth 2 B level prospects?

He can also get the team some type of draft compensation, because he's worth more than 12 million.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    An Ace that cost 5 million, who posted an era of 2.95, a WHIP of 1.15 and 200 innings over the past 3 years is only worth 2 B level prospects?

He can also get the team some type of draft compensation, because he's worth more than 12 million.
    Agree. I think he nets more. Dickey for a full season is definitely worth more than Beltran for 2 months.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast