Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Offseason simulations: You play GM

It's time for the annual series of Offseason Simulations where you get to play GM. Decide all the trades, FA signings, promotions, and demotions you think are necessary this offseason to prepare the team through the offseason. Send the list to me via PM and I'll post them along with a poll to allow others to comment on your ideas.

The rules are pretty simple.
    1. PM your simulation to me. Don't post your own thread (I will delete it) or put your simulation in someone else's thread. This is not a power play, but an attempt to give everyone's ideas their due.
    2. Specify all trades completely. Who do the Sox send from their roster or farm system and who do they receive. If money changes hands then indicate how much.
    3. Specify signings (FA, arbitration) completely. Dollars and length of deal.
    4. Payroll. The entire MLB roster (down to the 40-man list) needs to factor in whatever luxury tax rules exist within the new CBA.
    5. Justify. Not necessarily required but it's usually helpful to explain how/why you think your moves make sense.

Ideally everyone uses a similar format to make it easier to read and compare one sim to the next. An order along these lines has generally worked pretty well:

Trades
    FA/Arbitration Signings
    Roster
    Lineup(s)
    Explanation

Just for clarification, the "official payroll" when calculating the luxury tax (a) includes every player on the 40-man roster, and (b) includes the average annual value of the player's contract. Option years are NOT included in the calculation, but buyouts are.

MLB minimum salary is $480K

vCash
    Here's the current 40-man roster with 2013 salaries

Pitchers
    Pedro Beato - $490K
    Drake Britton - $490K
    Clay Buchholz - $5.5M
    Chris Carpenter - $490K
    David Carpenter - $490K
    Rubby De La Rosa - $490K
    Felix Doubront - $490K
    John Lackey - $15.25M
    Jon Lester - $11.625M
    Mark Melancon - $490K
    Clayton Mortenson - $490K
    Stolmy Pimental - $490K
    Sandy Rosario - $490K
    Zach Stewart - $490K
    Junichi Tazawa - $490K
    Catchers
    Ryan Lavarnway - $490K
    David Ross - $3.1M
    Infielders
    Pedro Ciriaco - $490K
    Ivan De Jesus - $490K
    Mauro Gomez - $490K
    Jose Iglesias - $2.1M
    Will Middlebrooks - $490K
    Dustin Pedroia - $10M
    Danny Valencia - $490K
    Outfielders
    Ryan Kalish - $490K
    Daniel Nava - $490K
    Jerry Sands - $490K
    DH
    David Ortiz - $14M

TOTAL: $71.865M

Arbitration
    Alfredo Aceves
    Scott Atchison
    Andrew Bailey
    Daniel Bard
    Craig Breslow
    Jacoby Ellsbury
    Rich Hill
    Andrew Miller
    Franklin Morales
    Jarrod Saltalamachhia
    Ryan Sweeney

NOTE: 39 players are currently on the 40-man roster. There are 13 players of interest in the Red Sox system that are eligible for the rule 5 draft and must be added to the 40-man roster to be protected:

Michael Almanzar
    Chris Balcolm-Miller
    Dan Butler
    Miguel Celestino
    William Cuevas
    Josh Fields
    Jeremy Hazelbaker
    Alex Hassan
    Heiker Meneses
    Christian Vazquez
    Allen Webster
    Alex Wilson
    Steven Wright
    Last edited by -Lavigne43-; 11-17-2012 at 08:40 PM.

vCash
    If you guys want, we can use the new 40-man on Tuesday since that's the deadline to protect players. I figure there's a decent chance they make a trade before then, which you might want to do differently in your sim.

vCash
    I was going to wait to see who gets protected myself.

5. 11-18-2012, 12:33 AM
    Reason
    Read

6. 11-18-2012, 12:39 AM
    Reason
    Read

vCash
    Question: When does a SIM have to be postmarked by to be valid?

Reminder: No much for reading directions....? "PM your simulation to me. Don't post your own thread (I will delete it) or put your simulation in someone else's thread. This is not a power play, but an attempt to give everyone's ideas their due."
    Last edited by -Lavigne43-; 11-18-2012 at 02:20 PM.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Never understood why it's so difficult for some people to read.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Question: When does a SIM have to be postmarked by to be valid?

Reminder: No much for reading directions....? "PM your simulation to me. Don't post your own thread (I will delete it) or put your simulation in someone else's thread. This is not a power play, but an attempt to give everyone's ideas their due."
    I don't really have a deadline, but I will probably start posting them around December 1st. That should be more than enough time.

vCash
    I've only received one, and that was a couple weeks ago.

vCash
    I have 4, a disappointing amount compared to past years, but I'm going to start posting them Monday anyways. So that's the deadline if anyone has been procrastinating.