Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    Maybe but why would you, as a team, be willing to do that coming off a bad season? They both had EXTREME bouncebacks, you wouldn't have known that would happen.
    They are great talents. It shouldn't have been that much of a surprise since they are under 30.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Hmmmm would you rather have Wright for 6/90 or for 7/125? Would you rather have Reyes for 5/75 or 6/106? To me that's a sweet discount and buying low effectively. They did that with Niese even though the situation is different being a 1st gen contract compared to a 2nd gen contract, but the idea is the same.
    You are being naive if you think Wright would sign for 6/90.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Come on guys.... we all know where this is heading. we just don't wanna admit it. They aren't gonna offer big contracts to Dickey or Wright. They will wait too long and think they still have a chance at signing them. They'll hit free agency and it's all over from there. We'll lose both for nothing, just like Reyes...

As much as it pains me to say it, if they don't resign by spring training, they need to trade both sooner rather than later. We could probably get Moustakas, Myers and more for a package of Wright and Dickey.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    Come on guys.... we all know where this is heading. we just don't wanna admit it. They aren't gonna offer big contracts to Dickey or Wright. They will wait too long and think they still have a chance at signing them. They'll hit free agency and it's all over from there. We'll lose both for nothing, just like Reyes...

As much as it pains me to say it, if they don't resign by spring training, they need to trade both sooner rather than later. We could probably get Moustakas, Myers and more for a package of Wright and Dickey.
    Thank you.

I know the Wilpons aren't going to show some cash for not only Wright, but for other players we need to be relevant again. Signing Wright only does absolutely zero (It gives you the same exact team as last season....whoop, whoop). We need Wright AND other stars to play with him like we had it in 2006. The Wilpons aren't going to do it.

So I want them traded while they're still a hot commodity. Sell high.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyJerZ View Post
    I wouldn't care which scenario they signed them for, because its not my money. The reason, as fans, I do not like the extra year is because we'd like to believe that they reinvest the money after contracts expire into new free agents or resigning their own FA. But I have no reason as a Mets fan to believe that. So, I'd take just signing them, and let them worry about the length of contract.

And the Niese situation is completely different. That was a situation of both parties mutually leveraging and using one another. For Niese, he gets paid before his rookie contract ends. And for the Mets, they get a guy that they intend to use as an under contract trade chip. So, the idea is not the same
    The idea is the same. If the Mets tried extending Niese after this season, he would have gotten much more guarenteed money. Buying low is good business.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bootleg42 View Post
    Thank you.

I know the Wilpons aren't going to show some cash for not only Wright, but for other players we need to be relevant again. Signing Wright only does absolutely zero (It gives you the same exact team as last season....whoop, whoop). We need Wright AND other stars to play with him like we had it in 2006. The Wilpons aren't going to do it.

So I want them traded while they're still a hot commodity. Sell high.
    They aren't trading them. I've come to that conclusion. So the question is, do you want to let them go for draft picks or keep them? A total rebuild will take forever and will not be successful in NY.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    After 2011? How is that naive? Why do you think he is worth so much now? Because he had a great season, so he has leverage in negotiations. Coming off his worst season with injury, he probably would have taken that deal. Zimmerman, a better player before 2012 got 6/100, so Wright wasn't worth more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    I agree with you on this. No chance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    I agree with you on this. No chance.
    Why though? You think he'd ask for 7/125 after his worst season of his career with back issues and 2 un-David Wright seasons in 2009 and 2010?

That makes absolutely no sense. If you think he wouldn't want to discuss an extension after a poor season, then that's a dfferent story, but 6/90 was more than fair at the time. He was no better than Adrian Beltre who got roughly the same amount.

vCash
    Why though? You think he'd ask for 7/125 after his worst season of his career with back issues and 2 un-David Wright seasons in 2009 and 2010?

That makes absolutely no sense. If you think he wouldn't want to discuss an extension after a poor season, then that's a dfferent story, but 6/90 was more than fair at the time. He was no better than Adrian Beltre who got roughly the same amount.

But that's how YOU look at it, it's not how HE looks at it. He didn't ask for anything after 2011 because it made no sense, pro athletes with enough money for life already do not sell themselves short on cheaper contracts after a bad year. He had no need to panic.

Like Jose, he knows his best shot at the biggest payday comes in FA, not midway thru a deal after after poor seasons.

He'd never have signed 6/90, because he had no need too. These guys don't think 'Ooh I might be declining, quick let me sign anything before I fall off a cliff' they think 'I am still amazing, I will come back and be better than ever and sign a massive deal'

What makes logical sense is not always realistic or likely.

vCash
    Pro-athletes aren't stupid enough to turn down guarenteed big bucks either. 6/90 is still not cheap you know.

vCash
    Pro-athletes aren't stupid enough to turn down guarenteed big bucks either. 6/90 is still not cheap you know.

6/90 is not cheap? I'll wait for him to sign that deal then, isn't that less than the Mets reportedly already offered which he laughed at?

I know your thought process, that poor years push guys into cheaper deals, but it's just not that simple, it really isn't.

These guys can shoot for the moon in FA, because they know, someone will pay, they always do, Jose got over $100M with one bidder...

vCash
    They are great talents. It shouldn't have been that much of a surprise since they are under 30.
    Yeah it was pretty obvious they would both bounce back.

I think the degree to which they bounced back was a little surprising. Reyes went from bad year to hitting title. Wright had struggled for a few years, and he probably would have been the 1st half NL MVP if there was such a thing.
    Sandy Alderson says Mets' 2014 payroll will be more than $87 million
    (11/19/2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    Payroll is $85 million this year. It was $85 million last year.
    (05/27/14)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    I don't think we're that far away.
    (6 games under .500 before June. Not that far away from what?)

vCash
    Any Mets fan has to be seriously concerned by the list of priorities the idiot son outlined the other day. Probably the best baseball option on a team going nowhere soon, (the trade) was his 3rd best option. How can that be?

Easy, because the other two options protect ticket sales next season (at the very least), and on a team with one priority, (ownership status quo) - that's all that matters.

I still have a hard time believing that even these craven bare faced cheats and liars would stoop so low, but I would not rule out the possibility, esp. if they see that a trade doesn't work for them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Any Mets fan has to be seriously concerned by the list of priorities the idiot son outlined the other day. Probably the best baseball option on a team going nowhere soon, (the trade) was his 3rd best option. How can that be?

Easy, because the other two options protect ticket sales next season (at the very least), and on a team with one priority, (ownership status quo) - that's all that matters.

I still have a hard time believing that even these craven bare faced cheats and liars would stoop so low, but I would not rule out the possibility, esp. if they see that a trade doesn't work for them.
    Because if trading a player was our second option we lose leverage around the league and lose the confidence in the players we are trying to sign. How can someone in one sentence say the number one priority is to sign someone long term and then turn around and say the 2nd priority is to trade them instead of bringing them back for their option year?

That doesn't seem like someone who really wants to sign someone does it? They are not going to publicly make it look like there is an ultimatum of sign the extension or you are traded.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast