Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    5 years 60 million? I think he would have taken that.
    He signed for less years with his 1st contract so he enter the FA a year earlier.
    No way he signs for that, no way in hell.

But believe what you want to believe.

“Ninety percent I’ll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent I’ll probably waste.”
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    I still believe that Reyes would of signed for 5/75 had the Mets offered him a deal coming of multiple injury filled years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dunbummin View Post
    Thyroid problem, hamstring problem, constipation . . the bottom line is they still wanted to retain him. They totally misjudged the market. If they had it to do over, they would extend him before he had a chance to walk. Now they have a chance to do it over with David and R.A.

Naturally, you don't try to extend mediocre players. But it is stupid to make contract decisions like that based on a single season's performance. Do you think they signed Niese to an extension in 2012 because he had a fabulous 2011?
    Niese and Reyes signings and lack there of had nothing to do with each other, Niese would still be under control for 3 more years.

“Ninety percent I’ll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent I’ll probably waste.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    I still believe that Reyes would of signed for 5/75 had the Mets offered him a deal coming of multiple injury filled years.
    And I believe Reyes was waiting for Free Agency.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    He signed for less years with his 1st contract so he enter the FA a year earlier.
    No way he signs for that, no way in hell.

But believe what you want to believe.
    You never know. He missed most of 2009 and wasn't great in 2010 either. He might have taken that offer if they offered it. Like Sick said, maybe 5/75 at the most, but he warranted no more than that until 2011.

vCash
    If the Mets had offered him that back then and he said no, then I would of been more on the Mets side when he left, but I think that coming off back to back years with various injuries he would of taken such a deal and not risked missing more time in 2011, but the Mets took a chance and failed to signed him.

vCash
    And I believe Reyes was waiting for Free Agency.
    Why? He didn't enjoy being a Met?

Is Wright waiting for free agency too? He hasn't signed an extension with us yet and is reportedly looking for more money. Money talks. I'm sure if the Mets came to Reyes about an extension, he would have been open to it.

vCash
    Why? He didn't enjoy being a Met?

Is Wright waiting for free agency too? He hasn't signed an extension with us yet and is reportedly looking for more money. Money talks. I'm sure if the Mets came to Reyes about an extension, he would have been open to it.
    Wright wants money, and so did Reyes.

vCash
    Wright wants money, and so did Reyes.
    Everyone wants money for the most part, especially when you try negotiating with them after a great season. If the Mets extended Wright after 2011, they would have gotten a sweet discount. Same with Reyes after 2010.

vCash
    no they wouldn't have.

vCash
    Everyone wants money for the most part, especially when you try negotiating with them after a great season. If the Mets extended Wright after 2011, they would have gotten a sweet discount. Same with Reyes after 2010.
    I'm really not trying to sound like a hater, but why would anyone give the Mets a sweet discount? I can't think of too many discounts in terms of baseball contracts, but in pro sports in general, discounts are given by players to free up the team to invest in other players to improve the team's chances of winning. Why would a player give a team a discount just to leave more money in the owner's pockets?

vCash
    Never assume the market will be less.

vCash
    Hmmmm would you rather have Wright for 6/90 or for 7/125? Would you rather have Reyes for 5/75 or 6/106? To me that's a sweet discount and buying low effectively. They did that with Niese even though the situation is different being a 1st gen contract compared to a 2nd gen contract, but the idea is the same.

vCash
    Maybe but why would you, as a team, be willing to do that coming off a bad season? They both had EXTREME bouncebacks, you wouldn't have known that would happen.
    Sandy Alderson says Mets' 2014 payroll will be more than $87 million
    (11/19/2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    Payroll is $85 million this year. It was $85 million last year.
    (05/27/14)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    I don't think we're that far away.
    (6 games under .500 before June. Not that far away from what?)

vCash
    Hmmmm would you rather have Wright for 6/90 or for 7/125? Would you rather have Reyes for 5/75 or 6/106? To me that's a sweet discount and buying low effectively. They did that with Niese even though the situation is different being a 1st gen contract compared to a 2nd gen contract, but the idea is the same.
    I wouldn't care which scenario they signed them for, because its not my money. The reason, as fans, I do not like the extra year is because we'd like to believe that they reinvest the money after contracts expire into new free agents or resigning their own FA. But I have no reason as a Mets fan to believe that. So, I'd take just signing them, and let them worry about the length of contract.

And the Niese situation is completely different. That was a situation of both parties mutually leveraging and using one another. For Niese, he gets paid before his rookie contract ends. And for the Mets, they get a guy that they intend to use as an under contract trade chip. So, the idea is not the same
    Last edited by DirtyJerZ; 11-22-2012 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Stupid spell check

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast