Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1
    vCash
    1500

    Question for NBA or NCAA Basketball

    After a basket is made, can the team that made the basket call a timeout?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Posts
    14,914
    vCash
    1500
    Yup once the ball is dead. Meaning as long as the opposing team hasn't picked up ball.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    256
    vCash
    1500
    No not the team that made the shot, only the team who was scored on eg Team A scores against Team B, only Team B can have a timeout

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    622
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetsfansydne View Post
    No not the team that made the shot, only the team who was scored on eg Team A scores against Team B, only Team B can have a timeout
    This is wrong.... in college anyway. Team A can call a timeout as soon as the ball is scored.
    Don't let this face fool you...

    #28

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    256
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by jammastershake View Post
    This is wrong.... in college anyway. Team A can call a timeout as soon as the ball is scored.
    Possibly but your reasoning is flawed anyway. The ball doesn't become dead after a made basket as the clock still runs and the referee hasn't blown his/her whistle. The ball does become dead after a basket in the last 2 mins of the last quarter only.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    622
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetsfansydne View Post
    Possibly but your reasoning is flawed anyway. The ball doesn't become dead after a made basket as the clock still runs and the referee hasn't blown his/her whistle. The ball does become dead after a basket in the last 2 mins of the last quarter only.
    When Timeouts May be Called

    Either team may call a timeout when the ball is dead. When the ball is in play, only the team possessing the ball may call a timeout. However, if a player has possession, is airborne and is either falling out of bounds or falling from the front court to the back court, neither the player nor his team may call a timeout to avoid the potential violation. Additionally, the defense may not call a timeout once the five-second count begins on an inbound play, even if the game clock hasnít started. Although the captain is typically the only player permitted to converse with or question an official, any player may call a timeout, as well as any coach.
    The defense can call a timeout between the time the scored the basketball and when the 5 second inbounds count begins.
    Don't let this face fool you...

    #28

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    256
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by jammastershake View Post
    The defense can call a timeout between the time the scored the basketball and when the 5 second inbounds count begins.
    A time-out opportunity begins when:
     For both teams, the ball becomes dead, the game clock is stopped and the
    official has ended his communication with the scorer's table.
     For both teams, the ball becomes dead following a successful last or only free
    throw.
     For the non-scoring team, a field goal is scored.

    I do apologise however. The ball does become dead after a made field goal, my mistake. But you cannot take have a timeout as the defense after a made basket. I would assume your quote was talking about any other inbounds where the referee has to handle the ball before the 5 second count starts

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    111
    vCash
    1500
    About, not for...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •