Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 56 of 97 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast
    vCash
    For the record, if we go out and give Edwin Jackson a 4/48 deal tomorrow, I'm not against that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by davell View Post
    If we take them at their word, the money saved will be put back into the team in future seasons. I have my doubts about this personally, but I guess I can see it as a way to account for massive posting fees all at once, if we ever get one of those types.
    Seeing as how MLB salaries are beating inflation, that money will be worth less then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by davell View Post
    If we take them at their word, the money saved will be put back into the team in future seasons. I have my doubts about this personally, but I guess I can see it as a way to account for massive posting fees all at once, if we ever get one of those types.
    The money will be put back into the ML team but not through a major FA class, which according to you is a never situation. Realistic. Weird how something they've actually said, the money going back, is doubtful but things they might imply, no winning until The Time comes, is stone cold truth.

vCash
    First, if anything, its an indictment on Ricketts, not them. Secondly, the next time they veer off from what they've said the plan is, will be the first. You should change your name to Darth Gato-dealing in absolutes like that. I certainly said FA has changed and classes will be weaker than previously, at no point have or will I ever say there won't be good guys to spend money on.

vCash
    They sold Ricketts on the plan. As recently as just before they were hired, Ricketts was insisting we'd never need a rebuilding season.

vCash
    Maybe so. I'm glad Theo has such a horrible track record in his past. The strengths of this plan obviously don't mesh at all at what Theo is known for.

vCash
    Theo's track record with this plan is non-existent.

vCash
    Is dealing in absolutes something like "we'll never see a FA spending spree from these guys" or is that different?

vCash
    I just read a really good article by Dave Cameron over at fangraphs that is relevant to this thread, but it's a couple of weeks old and I don't want to repeat anything.

Have we already discussed the article entitled "Why I'm not a Fan of Losing on Purpose" that was posted the week before Thanksgiving? If not, it's a long article so I'll post some snippets.

Here's the link either way:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...ng-on-purpose/

OOTP TKO League Milwaukee Brewers 2010-2032:
    2011-1655, .549 Win %
    10 NL Central Titles, 2 Wild Card 12 Total Playoff Appearances
    1 World Series Title (2021)

Now you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet: I will end you.

-Malcolm Reynolds

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Str1fe5 View Post
    I just read a really good article by Dave Cameron over at fangraphs that is relevant to this thread, but it's a couple of weeks old and I don't want to repeat anything.

Have we already discussed the article entitled "Why I'm not a Fan of Losing on Purpose" that was posted the week before Thanksgiving? If not, it's a long article so I'll post some snippets.

Here's the link either way:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...ng-on-purpose/
    I see this argument a lot as it pertains to teams like the Mets, with valuable walk-year veterans in R.A. Dickey and David Wright. We saw it last year when the A’s signed Coco Crisp to play center field. The perceived value of putting a respectable team on the field is quite low, but as the A’s showed last year, the actual value of doing just that can be extremely high.
    I see the Cubs doing things very similarly to the A's, just for reference. The only difference was last season the A's rebound/break out candidates worked and the Cubs' did not. And the A's beat the field for Cespedes.

Last season, the A's were led by players like Brandon Moss, Josh Reddick, and Jonny Gomes.
    Last edited by terencem; 12-10-2012 at 01:58 PM.

vCash
    Saw this in a BP article (with the subtitle: "How to be unhappy about every move your favorite team makes") and thought it was appropriate:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=19190

If your team has signed a free agent with an injury history, he will be hurt on Opening Day trying to catch a popup. Because that's what happened to Mo Vaughn.

If your team just missed on signing that free agent, your owner is incredibly cheap and your GM has no idea what he's doing. He is unable to see that the free agent would have taken less money to come to your city because his brother's wife's cousin's dog is from a town 150 miles away. And your team has prospects. And your fair city has museums and restaurants. No other city has these things.

If your team just lost a free agent who is very good at baseball, this is the worst day in your franchise's history. He is a traitor because... why... doesn't... he... love... me? (Note: I owe this one to my wife. We were living in Cleveland when Lebron left. In five words, she nailed the entirety of the three days that followed.) I'd recommend some emu music. Not emo. Listen to the sounds that emus make.

If your team just lost a free agent who was not very good at baseball, despair over the fact that the change of scenery/new role might do him some good. If you just signed this guy, despair over the fact that a leopard can't change his spots and even in a new role or with a different perspective on coaching, this guy will continue to stink.

If your team just signed a decent reliever, you can always point out that your team needs a proven closer™, and so despite the fact that they also need three or four decent bullpen arms in general, since this one is not a proven closer™, your team is doomed. What's worse is that the third baseman you just signed can't close either.

If your team just lost someone in the Rule 5 Draft, he will become the next Roberto Clemente. Note: Rule 5 picks all have a major flaw in their game. That's why they were left unprotected. Some of them do fix up the flaw, and it works out great. But no one ever rolls out the list of Rule 5 picks that didn't work out. It's a much longer list. Just ignore it.

If your team just traded a prospect, you just gave up Jeff Bagwell for Doyle Alexander. It's entirely irrelevant that it was John Smoltz for Alexander and Bagwell for Larry Andersen. This is not the time to be rational.

If your team just acquired a prospect, he could get hurt. Or stall. Or not be the 20 WARP player that all industry sources expect him to be... or at least my Cousin Frank said that. He could join Oxfam. He could get hurt. (Um, all baseball players can get hurt.)

If your team has done nothing, you could totally do a better job. You'd do something. And there would be 29 GMs lined up at your door to help you do something.

vCash
    That's pretty funny, and you can add even more.

vCash
    Right now the organizational philosophy needs to be "Holy mother of balls, our rotation is going to be awful in 2014 and 2015 if something amazing and drastic doesn't start happening."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    Right now the organizational philosophy needs to be "Holy mother of balls, our rotation is going to be awful in 2014 and 2015 if something amazing and drastic doesn't start happening."
    Could we maybe get through the 2013 season before we declare the Cubs to be beyond hope for 2014 let alone 2015?

vCash
    Nobody did that. Notice that a conditional statement, marked in English traditionally with the preposition "if," pretty much implies that the situation being described by the conditional is not a guarantee. Thus, "beyond hope" is a silly interpretation of what was said.

Plus, it'd be a pretty silly "Organizational Philosophy" thread if all we considered was the upcoming season.

Page 56 of 97 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast