Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 50 of 97 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
    vCash
    The completely inert reaction of many Cubs fans to fielding really awful teams seems like an extreme underreaction to me, but to each their own.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    The completely inert reaction of many Cubs fans to fielding really awful teams seems like an extreme underreaction to me, but to each their own.
    Not getting into what shall only be called "The Debate", but you'll find me reacting in your fashion if we're doing dickshit next year. I'm just trying to give them the benefit of the doubt over a few years to do what they feel as though they need to do before they make their moves.

I've got a time limit as well, it just so happens to be one year further than your personal time period.

As you said, to each their own.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    What about Upton, Jackson, McCarthy, Greinke, Sanchez, Cabrerra and others in their late 20's ? The Upton contract will cover his prime years and seemed to be fair market value. What happens in 2-3 years if your prospects don't develop like you think they will ? I don't see how adding talent now is going to hinder you in the future.
    Greinke is the only stud elite pitcher, and he has some issues. Plus by the time the team is going to contend he will be 31-32. The other starters are mid rotation starters who will get big dollars(unless they can get them cheap) and are guys they should stay away from now. Greinke would be interesting but not at the price he will command. Along with the anxiety issue and the potential age and potential decline when the team will be contending. BJ Upton isn't that good and another example of a guy they should stay away from. His talent/upside has always better better then results. He's not worth that type of money right now either. Now if Justin Upton was a free agent well then you might have something there. But they don't have a strong enough system to trade for him without cleaning out the farm.
    "Too big, too strong, too fast, too good"

vCash
    When you start signing players like Grienke, "by the time this team is ready to contend" can be measured in months and not years.

More importantly: The Cubs have one of the deepest farms in the league. They can make trades without cleaning it out.

vCash
    I'm 37. I've seen quite a few plans laid out, most changed midstream, and plenty of GM's come and go already. What I have never seen(along with a World Series win obviously) is a consistent approach that doesn't change and has an endgame. No one has had the discipline to carry one out. This is the smartest group we've ever had(argue MacPhail and you're trolling) and they have a great track record. Giving them the benefit of the doubt seems fairly rational to me. If we're winning 60 games in 2014 and are in this same position? My tune changes bigtime, but I have confidence we won't be.

vCash
    depth players don't get upton.
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash
    Prospects in general don't, which makes it a whole other issue.

vCash
    We can do that?

OK. "Argue that Epstein and Co. are really smart and you're trolling."

There. That's off the table now.

vCash
    When you start signing players like Grienke, "by the time this team is ready to contend" can be measured in months and not years.

More importantly: The Cubs have one of the deepest farms in the league. They can make trades without cleaning it out.
    I disagree about a big, someone like Upton would hurt too much and take away all the good they did last year. That's too much for one player in my opinion. Anyways this was in response to his earlier post that I forgot to do, our talk for today is done.
    "Too big, too strong, too fast, too good"

vCash
    Just to clarify 1908. I didnt "flip my ----" or curse..just a little irritated at the mediocrity of these WM for the cubs. I realize that Hamilton+greinke+Ejaxx is unrealistic, i was merely using them as examples of if the FO wanted to compete they could target high end players to get there. But hearing names like Francouer/Bay/Betancourt etc put it in perspective that we really are tanking again. Couple that with the statement to Marmol about trade deadline deal just crushed what little hope i had we would at least make an adequate attempt at fielding a competative team.

Outside of Rizzo, what Major League core piece have we added in the last 2 offseasons so far? That is what bothers me. E Jackson for example could be a solid 3 for us for the next 5 years if we signed him. I like the farm and the direction of the minors (instruction/scouting) but i still stand by the fact that we are paying for what many consider to be the best FO in baseball and they should be able to work on dual fronts...If not immediately than after a full season(100 loss season).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by huff View Post
    Just to clarify 1908. I didnt "flip my ----" or curse..just a little irritated at the mediocrity of these WM for the cubs. I realize that Hamilton+greinke+Ejaxx is unrealistic, i was merely using them as examples of if the FO wanted to compete they could target high end players to get there. But hearing names like Francouer/Bay/Betancourt etc put it in perspective that we really are tanking again. Couple that with the statement to Marmol about trade deadline deal just crushed what little hope i had we would at least make an adequate attempt at fielding a competative team.

Outside of Rizzo, what Major League core piece have we added in the last 2 offseasons so far? That is what bothers me. E Jackson for example could be a solid 3 for us for the next 5 years if we signed him. I like the farm and the direction of the minors (instruction/scouting) but i still stand by the fact that we are paying for what many consider to be the best FO in baseball and they should be able to work on dual fronts...If not immediately than after a full season(100 loss season).
    Wasn't speaking of you particularly.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    so before getting mad about not signing e-jax....let's...wait for it...see where he signs. If people like Sanchez are looking for "Greinke $", I wouldn't be in rush to sign them either.
    Last edited by gaughan333; 12-05-2012 at 07:42 PM.

vCash
    Once again G33, was just using Ejaxx as an example. I would not be shocked if we signed him due to his age and upside. But judging from the names(Frenchy/betancourt/bay) and signings(baker/feldman) so far it doesnt really lead me to believe we will legitimately chase..hope so though

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by huff View Post
    Once again G33, was just using Ejaxx as an example. I would not be shocked if we signed him due to his age and upside. But judging from the names(Frenchy/betancourt/bay) and signings(baker/feldman) so far it doesnt really lead me to believe we will legitimately chase..hope so though
    How about being linked to Bourn?

vCash
    We can do that?

OK. "Argue that Epstein and Co. are really smart and you're trolling."

There. That's off the table now.
    I'm not even sure I understand this response. I'll say this: I think its assinine to whine about a plan thats a year into being currently, that pretty much every analyst out there thinks was the right way to take this organization. You're smarter than everyone else?

Page 50 of 97 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast