Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 26 of 97 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Season tickets are something that don't happen often, especially for people who had to wait on the line. Lets put it this way, as a 14 year old boy I signed up for the list and I'm now 25 and still have thousands of people in front of me. Granted, I no longer live in Chicago, probably wont, and will have to turn down the ability to purchase them, but when you get a chance to get your hands on season tickets....you don't give them up. For any reason.

I'll be honest, I wouldn't give those tickets up for the life of me if I had the possibility of getting them and using them. They suck today, theirs no guarantee they'll suck every tomorrow for the rest of time. Season tickets to the Cubs only come around, so often, usually.

So in the end, I don't care if BB spends his money on his season tickets. I don't feel bad for him that he made the choice to not spend money on the team, and I couldn't care less about his long winded rant to conjure up sympathy for giving them up. I also won't be sad/surprised when he runs back to attempt to get season tickets and either has to pay an extreme premium/can't get them when the team's good again. It'd be one thing if he didn't run around here like a pompous ***, letting us know how much money he has and how Tom Rickett's needs him at games, and maybe he got caught up on the hard times. But all he's doing is whining about the direction of the team because he wants to win now. So no, I don't feel bad for him. Not one second.
    I honestly couldn't blame anyone if they didn't want to renew their season tickets. I have no idea how much they actually cost, but I'd imagine it's gotta be close to 8K. That's a lot of money to throw away on what looks like a loser going into 2013. In this economy I can' t blame anyone for giving those up. I don't think he's looking for sympathy here. I think someone who is paying that much money has every right to complain. It's easy for people like us to say things like surplus value, sustained success, etc, but when you have to pay that kind of money I'm sure they aren't thinking about things like this. If it was only going to be one bad season then I can understand your point, but all signs point to at least 1 more season like 2012. That's a lot of money to punt. Especially considering 2010 and 2011 were disappointing as well. If you can swing that more power to you, but if you can't I can't blame anyone for giving them up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gaughan333 View Post
    People seem to forget that almost every good major league player, was at one time, a minor league player.
    I assume I am one of these people, and to this I can only ask - what is your point?

vCash
    People seem to forget that almost every good major league player, was at one time, a minor league player.
    That's true. Still doesn't change the fact that most prospects fail. I think people on here (not you necessarily) over estimate how often they work out/reach ceilings

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    OR you improve the process of development within the organization, something many Cubs fans have been screaming for for almost a decade now.

Teach and develop better and you will get better results. The Cardinals produce guys who help them out all the time despite a lack of hype or super high rankings on lists.
    Exactly! No need to have a top 3 pick again last year. BTW, what was Trout, as an example? If you have a great system for minor league talent, you can produce talent to the major league team. And you can do it without top end of the draft picks. I completely agree with getting minor league talent. But they can do both. And they can do it with trades and solid FA pick ups. This can be done without losing too much minor league talent.

vCash
    And for every minor league player that turns into a good major league player, there's at least a half-a-dozen failed top prospects selling used cars or working in construction.

vCash
    Nothing they'd ever do would be enough to make you happy...so fine. Continue to be pissed off about something you have control over. :cry::cry::cry:
    Yeah. A team with $60 million to spend and half-a-dozen MLB holes chose to fill just one hole, and we're just being greedy and would never be happy...

vCash
    Well at least we have control over it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by terencem View Post
    The major league team was bad when they took over and they had a bottom 1/3 farm system. How much worse does it need to be for the well to be considered dry?
    1) A lot worse. Dave Cameron had a fantastic article over at Fangraphs the other day explaining why that you have to be a truly decrepit team to have no chance going into a season, let alone an offseason. Merely being below average doesn't cut it.

2) I'd seriously quibble with the farm system being bottom-10.

They started the season with a 109 MM payroll last season and had a .421 winning percentage at the end of the day on July 31.
    That's as much on the current GM team's choices as it is on what they inherited. Installing Ian Stewart at 3b or Joe Mather in your bench is your own fault, and they need to own it.

vCash
    Them not working out makes it all the more helpful to have many of them.
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Exactly! No need to have a top 3 pick again last year. BTW, what was Trout, as an example? If you have a great system for minor league talent, you can produce talent to the major league team. And you can do it without top end of the draft picks. I completely agree with getting minor league talent. But they can do both. And they can do it with trades and solid FA pick ups. This can be done without losing too much minor league talent.
    The graph has been posted many many times. The early picks produce far more than later picks

vCash
    Absolutely true, but it also makes it clear why their individual value is far below current major league players.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    Absolutely true, but it also makes it clear why their individual value is far below current major league players.
    disagree with such a broad statement.

vCash
    disagree with such a broad statement.
    There's a difference between overly broad and usefully generalized.

vCash
    Once again, hello '11-'13 amateur period.

vCash
    I dont post on here enough but I love gato and Kyle!!!
    Keep up the good fight.

Page 26 of 97 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast