Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 25 of 97 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 375 of 1441
  1. #361
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    17,358
    vCash
    1500
    Aren't you on the bandwagon, though, that the Cubs could have made moves last offseason to be marginally competitive?
    They could have been very competitive, and yes. That's not literally saying there was no reason to rebuild.

    I also said that once they took the direction they did I had little problem with it. My problem lies in supporting the idea that losing for multiple years for the sake of draft picks and prospects is the way to do this.

    I think some people here are giving no credence to the idea of seeing what you've got before you spend a bunch of money.
    Hoyer has spoken about how they took this year to evaluate the talent in the organization that they currently have. I don't think this requires multiple years of inactivity and losing.

    I do think you are correct that, deep down, most knew that Pujols/Fielder would not be a good idea. Not on a 9 and 10 year deal, even as extraordinarily good as both of them are.

  2. #362
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,802
    vCash
    1500
    I agree with rebuilding the farm. I just disagree that years have to be tanked to get high picks. I believe if you have a good development system in place in the minors you can get picks at the back end of the round and make them productive players. I think you can build while putting a solid team on the field. And it does not have to be by signing top end FA to extreme contracts or trading all your prospects for one star. I believe Theo and Jed mentioned working two fronts when the got here. So far they have only worked one.I applaud them for what they have done to the system so far, but now it is time to do something for the major league team.

  3. #363
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    17,358
    vCash
    1500
    Yeah - the way to sustain a strong farm is to focus on the process of development, not on having a huge number of prospects to wait on.

  4. #364
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    7,137
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    I agree with rebuilding the farm. I just disagree that years have to be tanked to get high picks. I believe if you have a good development system in place in the minors you can get picks at the back end of the round and make them productive players. I think you can build while putting a solid team on the field. And it does not have to be by signing top end FA to extreme contracts or trading all your prospects for one star. I believe Theo and Jed mentioned working two fronts when the got here. So far they have only worked one.I applaud them for what they have done to the system so far, but now it is time to do something for the major league team.
    So Rizzo didn't happen?
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

    It is anyway, not anyways.

  5. #365
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    7,137
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Yeah - the way to sustain a strong farm is to focus on the process of development, not on having a huge number of prospects to wait on.
    Need to have talent to develop...
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

    It is anyway, not anyways.

  6. #366
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    17,358
    vCash
    1500
    Oh, they did one thing for the ML team's long term. Yaaaay.

    Need to have talent to develop...
    Hello 2011-2013 draft picks and IFAs.

  7. #367
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    7,137
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Oh, they did one thing for the ML team's long term. Yaaaay.



    Hello 2011-2013 draft picks and IFAs.
    Nothing they'd ever do would be enough to make you happy...so fine. Continue to be pissed off about something you have control over. :cry::cry::cry:
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

    It is anyway, not anyways.

  8. #368
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    22,914
    vCash
    1500
    Rizzo was a nice get but I don't think that excuses everything else they did. They needed to do more last year and they certainly need to do real hole filling this off season if they want to win in the next 4 years

  9. #369
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    7,137
    vCash
    1500
    If Garza hadn't gotten hurt and they were able to trade him, I wonder how this conversation would be going.
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

    It is anyway, not anyways.

  10. #370
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,591
    vCash
    1500
    They've clearly tried to prioritize major league ready or near major league ready talent. Vizcaino, Chapman, Rizzo, Wood, Volstad, and Sappelt all fit that mold. They have Volstad the chance to turn things around and, unfortunately it didn't work. Even Christian Villenueva has one of the earliest expected debut dates among their top minor league talent.

    I'd just give it one more season to let the minor league talent develop. High A and Double A players go a lot farther in trades than their younger counterparts. If the Cubs wait until next season to start pushing the trades, they'll have 3 consecutive solid drafts in the system. I just think the talent could go a lot farther next year. They'll maximize the talent they trade away and they won't waste as many non-competitie years on free agent deals.

  11. #371
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    22,914
    vCash
    1500
    I was one of the few that wanted him to stay so I probably wouldn't be that excited about the deal. Although if they had no interest in re signing him then they should have traded him. Plus I put a lot more weight on the major league roster than prospect rankings.

  12. #372
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,591
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Mell413 View Post
    I was one of the few that wanted him to stay so I probably wouldn't be that excited about the deal. Although if they had no interest in re signing him then they should have traded him. Plus I put a lot more weight on the major league roster than prospect rankings.
    Right, I don't think we need to focus on having a great farm system unless it's a means toward getting a great major league team but, if you want to trade for major league talent, it takes a lot of minor league talent to get that done. On the flip side, if you want to focus on developing solid minor league players into big league players, you need a lot of talented minor league players because you're going to see a lot of failure.

  13. #373
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    17,358
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by gaughan333 View Post
    Nothing they'd ever do would be enough to make you happy...so fine. Continue to be pissed off about something you have control over. :cry::cry::cry:
    Yeah, that's it. I'll never be happy. I should be pleased to know the Cubs have prospects in the low minors right now that might one day save the franchise.

    A fine dance around the 2011-2013 draft and IFA point...Sexy even.

    They've clearly tried to prioritize major league ready or near major league ready talent. Vizcaino, Chapman, Rizzo, Wood, Volstad, and Sappelt all fit that mold.
    They need to do better than that bunch. You've got a short start prospect coming off surgery, a reliever, a 1B who got Adam LaRoche comps on this board as a positive, a BOR starter, a tall BOR starter, and a 4th OFer there.

    I'd just give it one more season to let the minor league talent develop.
    They can do this without sacrificing another ML season to the extent 2012 was sacrificed.

  14. #374
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    17,358
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by terencem View Post
    Right, I don't think we need to focus on having a great farm system unless it's a means toward getting a great major league team but, if you want to trade for major league talent, it takes a lot of minor league talent to get that done. On the flip side, if you want to focus on developing solid minor league players into big league players, you need a lot of talented minor league players because you're going to see a lot of failure.
    OR you improve the process of development within the organization, something many Cubs fans have been screaming for for almost a decade now.

    Teach and develop better and you will get better results. The Cardinals produce guys who help them out all the time despite a lack of hype or super high rankings on lists.

  15. #375
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    7,137
    vCash
    1500
    People seem to forget that almost every good major league player, was at one time, a minor league player.
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

    It is anyway, not anyways.

Page 25 of 97 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •