Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 10 of 97 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 1441
  1. #136
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,543
    vCash
    1500
    Kyle: Name 5 teams that had less talent than the Cubs throughout their organization heading into 2012. Continuing to harp on the Cubs not having that poor of talent, doesn't make it true. And thinking its easy to make up ground based on spending money immediately and not addressing the major issues of the organization is extremely BacktoBanksish.(reference Kyle and Gato will get, GoCubs will cringe over and others won't have a clue)

  2. #137
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,543
    vCash
    1500
    Look, no matter how the other side spins this, we've tried the other way many times, this is a first. This isn't MacPhail saying we're building from the ground up, because there wasn't an organizational plan to go with the words he said. This has been a complete teardown, a complete shift in philosophy and something a major market team has never done previously. It's completely a moot point, if we won 61 games in 2012, versus 75, 70 games in 2013, versus 82, and 79 games in 2014, versus 86, if the end result is 94 wins in 2015, no matter how it was obtained. Because its not spin, that if this happens to be the case, it means the first way is going to be tge healthier organization of the two for the longterm.

  3. #138
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    7,156
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Mell413 View Post
    If they would gotten guys like Cespedes, Headley Gonzalez, Darvish
    If you mean Gio Gonzalez, I don't think the cubs had the farm system to pull that trade off. I'm not sure what the Padres were asking for Headley so I wont comment on that. I know, for some reason putting in offers on Cespedes and Darvish doesn't count to some of you, which I still don't agree with, but you act like they just sat on their *** all off season. Oakland gave Cespedes a contract that didn't make sense at the time. Few thought that he would be able to come to the MLB and contribute like that immediately. Darvish ended up with a cost of what, about 108 million over 6 years? I'd rather put that amount of money towards someone like greinke who is more known and tested.
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

    It is anyway, not anyways.

  4. #139
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,411
    vCash
    1500
    The Padres were asking for Jackson and McNutt for Headley. At the time it seemed like way too much, but now it looks like an opportunity lost.

  5. #140
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    7,156
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Bystro View Post
    The Padres were asking for Jackson and McNutt for Headley. At the time it seemed like way too much, but now it looks like an opportunity lost.
    Hindsight...that's unfortunate. Have their demands gone up a ton now?
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

    It is anyway, not anyways.

  6. #141
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    40,370
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by gaughan333 View Post
    Hindsight...that's unfortunate. Have their demands gone up a ton now?
    Could only assume so....
    #WhyNot?

    People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

  7. #142
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    7,156
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Could only assume so....
    To clarify, i mean a ton from what those two were viewed as last year
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

    It is anyway, not anyways.

  8. #143
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,411
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by gaughan333 View Post
    Hindsight...that's unfortunate. Have their demands gone up a ton now?
    Yeah I don't think they will trade him now. They might actually believe they can be competitive next year. I really like how they are set up right now. If Cashner stays healthy I predict that he competes for the Cy Young next year.....Bold this and come back to it in August.

  9. #144
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    40,370
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by gaughan333 View Post
    To clarify, i mean a ton from what those two were viewed as last year
    Same response.

    Headley turned in a 7 win season. You can only assume the Padres would ask for more, especially because I don't think they're all that inclined to move him. They've been resigning, not selling off. Couple those two things together and I don't think Headley's what you'd call "very attainable" right now.
    #WhyNot?

    People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

  10. #145
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    23,431
    vCash
    1500
    Well even if Headley was/is only a 4 win 3B I still make that trade 100 times out of 100. That news certainly sucks if that indeed was the case.

  11. #146
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    7,156
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Bystro View Post
    Yeah I don't think they will trade him now. They might actually believe they can be competitive next year. I really like how they are set up right now. If Cashner stays healthy I predict that he competes for the Cy Young next year.....Bold this and come back to it in August.
    I wouldn't be very surprised if they were competitive next year. Grandal's PED suspension hurts a little though. I expect a better year out of Yonder alonso for one. That is a bold prediction on Cashner, but will be funny if it comes true.
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

    It is anyway, not anyways.

  12. #147
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    7,156
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Mell413 View Post
    Well even if Headley was/is only a 4 win 3B I still make that trade 100 times out of 100. That news certainly sucks if that indeed was the case.
    At that time he had gotten 4 WAR once.
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

    It is anyway, not anyways.

  13. #148
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    23,431
    vCash
    1500
    WAR doesn't take into account park factors. I thin Headley would have been a 4 win guy more than once if he wasn't playing in Petco or being put in LF. Plus Jackson/McNutt haven't been worth caring about for around 2 years. I don't understand the justification for not making that deal
    Last edited by Mell413; 11-17-2012 at 10:40 AM.

  14. #149
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    17,957
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Bystro View Post
    The Padres were asking for Jackson and McNutt for Headley. At the time it seemed like way too much, but now it looks like an opportunity lost.
    Heh heh heh.

    Look, no matter how the other side spins this, we've tried the other way many times,
    Hey what's up kettle? I'm pot! Why are you so black?

    No matter how you guys like to rewrite history, the Cubs have tried the "we're going to build the best farm system everz, our prospects will be amazingz/a Golden Generation in the sport, and boy will that lead to profit(!)" approach. It's failed often. Not just McPhail and Hendry, who conveniently can be brushed aside with "no organizational plan" (whatever that means), but with Dallas Green in the '80s, Holland in the 60's (though this was pre-FA) ...these aren't/weren't dumb people, as much as that needs to be part of your argument to work.

  15. #150
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    40,370
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Mell413 View Post
    WAR doesn't take into account park factors. I thin Headley would have been a 4 win guy more than once if he wasn't playing in Petco or being put in LF. Plus Jackson/McNutt haven't been worth caring about for around 2 years. I don't understand the justification for not making that deal
    Jackson was a top 30 prospect last offseason, many were calling for him to be the every day starting CF'er. He had 200 AB's where he K'ed too much but it was neither expected he'd continue to strike out that much nor were people that worried about it.

    Brett Jackson has not been "not worth caring about" for 2 years. In fact, he's still not been "not worth caring about" for one year. He's still a prospect with hope, just look at some of his projections for the 2013 season.

    Secondly, Trey McNutt, last off season, was this teams only pitching prospect worth a damn coming out of A ball. His velocity was reportedly fine it was just his control. He was one year removed from being a top 100 prospect.

    At the time, Jackson and McNutt sounded like too much. Now, it totally sucks that both continued to tank, but had Jackson come in and given you a rookie season where people thought he might (.265/.320/.410), and McNutt had rebounded to even looking like a mid rotation prospect, and had Headley not had an amazing break out season, that deal would have been too much. All of those outcomes were also, quite in the realm of possibility. It sucks the luck tipped the other way, but I don't blame our front office for not doing that trade last winter. Didn't blame them then, wont blame them now. You'd have needed a crystal ball to see all that.
    #WhyNot?

    People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

Page 10 of 97 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •