Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 57 of 97 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Your so right, know that I understand what if means it completely changes the hair pulling statement to a perfectly reasonable one. I mean it's not like the Cubs couldn't trout out 3/5 of an anti-awful rotation without doing anything amazing and drastic in 2014 or 2015. When dealing with someone who intellect is clearly my superior I don't know weather to bow down and kiss your feet or write a script for Seroquel.

vCash
    Getting 3/5ths of a non-awful rotation out of what we currently have under control for 2014/15 *would* take some pretty amazing good fortune.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    Getting 3/5ths of a non-awful rotation out of what we currently have under control for 2014/15 *would* take some pretty amazing good fortune.
    Wouldn't it only take resigning Garza, Samardjiza keeping up his peripherals from 2012 and then one of: Baker (causing them to resign him) Feldman (causing them to resign him), Vizcaino, Loux, or Wood being a decent number 4?

That seems...not that hard to me.....
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    This. Although Kyle thinks Garza blows, Samardzija can't; everybody else is an injury risk or a prospect doomed to fail.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Wouldn't it only take resigning Garza, Samardjiza keeping up his peripherals from 2012 and then one of: Baker (causing them to resign him) Feldman (causing them to resign him), Vizcaino, Loux, or Wood being a decent number 4?

Pitchers are incredibly fickle. They fall apart all the time, and that's even before you consider the ones who get hurt.

On that list, you've got three guys with major injury problems in the very recent past, three guys without a full useful MLB season as a starting pitcher, and a borderline future Casey Coleman who seems very oddly placed on such a list.

Getting three of those guys to be good in 2014 is possible, but would take quite a bit of good fortune.

And that's even assuming Garza is interested in resigning here. If he has faith in his elbow, I could see him flat refusing to resign given that he'd be pretty much the top starting pitcher on the market and in line for a huuuuge payday.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CUBluejays View Post
    This. Although Kyle thinks Garza blows, Samardzija can't; everybody else is an injury risk or a prospect doomed to fail.
    Your persistent need for indignation and hyperbole does not improve the quality of your points, and seeing as that's all you have given, it leaves you with nothing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post

Samardzija seems like a good candidate and the rest could be difficult. Hasn't it been reported the Cubs stopped taking extension with Garza when he wanted a no trade clause ? Isn't there a better chance of Baker/Feldman being flipped than resigned ? Vizcaino/Loux will spend most the year in AAA.
    Wood could stay as a solid back of the rotation starter.

vCash
    Your persistent need for indignation and hyperbole does not improve the quality of your points, and seeing as that's all you have given, it leaves you with nothing.
    He he he he he.
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! JP611 Just called me an ecstasy user!!!! WTF!!!

Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    Back at ya.

On to your points.

Pitchers are fickle and injury prone. If you want to go with that then no MLB team should be able to count on having a rotation for 2014 or 2015 because they may break down.

Samardzija threw 174.2 innings before he was shut down as a precaution. He had no drop in velocity and was a hole 14.2 innings from the magic number of 190. I think he could be counted on to do the same next year.

Garza resigning with the Cubs wouldn't be dramatic or amazing. The Cubs need pitching, have money, he seems to like Chicago. I think there might be a match there.

Wood threw 197 IP between AAA/Chicago. I'm going for non-awful in 2014-2015 so I think he can count. That gets you to 3/5 of an anti-awful rotation without one addition to the organization.

To fill out this anti-awful rotation the Cubs could sign a couple of free agents in the Baker/Feldman class, Vizcaino could prove to be a starter, the #2 pick could be a pitcher and move through the minors quickly, Baker/Feldman/Marmol/Barney/Soriano/Jackson/Vitters could all be moved and might net a pitcher or 2. None of these moves are drastic or amazing and the Cubs could end up with some decent pitching depth.

I think you bring up some good points, but your constant hair pulling/world is ending/I'm the smartest guy in the room gets tiring.
    Last edited by CUBluejays; 12-18-2012 at 12:12 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CUBluejays View Post

Pitchers are fickle and injury prone. If you want to go with that then no MLB team should be able to count on having a rotation for 2014 or 2015 because they may break down.
    Absolutely. But the teams that are in the best shape are the ones with the most depth at the MLB level and near-ready. We are incredibly thin in that area.

Samardzija threw 174.2 innings before he was shut down as a precaution. He had no drop in velocity and was a hole 14.2 innings from the magic number of 190. I think he could be counted on to do the same next year.
    I think that's foolishly optimistic. He might be able to do the same next year, but he's done it precisely once.

Garza resigning with the Cubs wouldn't be dramatic or amazing. The Cubs need pitching, have money, he seems to like Chicago. I think there might be a match there.
    I'd find it very amazing if the Cubs both wanted to resign him and he wanted to resign with the Cubs.

Wood threw 197 IP between AAA/Chicago. I'm going for non-awful in 2014-2015 so I think he can count. That gets you to 3/5 of an anti-awful rotation without one addition to the organization.
    When a guy keeps getting bounced back to AAA, you should wonder if maybe you should count him as a full portion of a non-awful rotation.

To fill out this anti-awful rotation the Cubs could sign a couple of free agents in the Baker/Feldman class,
    Huge potential for awful there.

Vizcaino could prove to be a starter
    Probably not. It might happen, but pretty much only the Cubs internally seem to think he can stick as a starter. And I think that's more desperation than scouting.

, the #2 pick could be a pitcher and move through the minors quickly,
    It would take some dramatic good fortune for a college SP to emerge who could hit the majors and succeed n less than a year in the minors, let alone have him drop to No. 2 in the draft.

Baker/Feldman/Marmol/Barney/Soriano/Jackson/Vitters could all be moved and might net a pitcher or 2. None of these moves are drastic or amazing and the Cubs could end up with some decent pitching depth.
    I'm still waiting for all those young starting pitchers we got in exchange for last year's trade deadline haul to show up.

I think you bring up some good points, but your constant hair pulling/world is ending/I'm the smartest guy in the room gets tiring.
    I made my points. You said something incredibly stupid in response. If you had responded like you just did, instead of you're whole "OH MAN YOU SAID THERE'S NO CHANCE" and "LET'S NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE SEASONS BESIDES THE IMMEDIATE ONE IN THE ORGANIZATIONAL PHILOSOPHY THREAD," you would have gotten a different response. I called that stupid, correctly. You can be as offended as you want, but you brought it on yourself.

vCash
    Wait...didn't you say it'd be hard with what we have under control for 2014/2015? Garza isn't under control and neither are the players that are being traded for/signed.
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash
    My original post was that it would be hard to have a not-awful rotation if "something amazing or drastic doesn't start happening fairly soon."

vCash
    ok, i took it to mean with what we'd have under control in those years...which = shark and wood + any minor league pitcher who decides to step up

vCash
    Pretty much. Acquiring good starting pitching in this market is pretty drastic, because it's incredibly sought after right now. If a good pitcher comes available on the trade market, we'll have to outbid a lot of people.

vCash
    Which makes me really curious to see what the blue jays decide to do with josh johnson

Page 57 of 97 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast