Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 85
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    32,586
    vCash
    1894
    Quote Originally Posted by thenaj17 View Post
    That's not the same if you need 2 or 3 points.
    Im talking about over the course of a game/season but yes if you need a final basket, you would be wary of him getting fouled.

    The problem with Shaq would be that he's not guaranteed to make either of his FT's if he got 2. 50% is over the course of a season doesn't mean every 2 he gets, he makes 1 of them.

    I'd be worried he'd miss both!
    This is 100% incorrect, thats precisely what it means.
    Yo Kobe, get at me bro, we'd have a good time, man

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Hereford, England
    Posts
    899
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    But you should be looking at it like this


    2/4 FT = 1/2 FGA


    3's change everything tho
    Plus the odds of someone like MJ, Kobe getting FT's are quite likely aswell

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Hereford, England
    Posts
    899
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    The problem with Shaq would be that he's not guaranteed to make either of his FT's if he got 2. 50% is over the course of a season doesn't mean every 2 he gets, he makes 1 of them.

    I'd be worried he'd miss both!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    This is 100% incorrect, thats precisely what it means.
    No it doesn't mean that and isn't incorrect. I don't know if i'm not explaining it clearly enough or you just don't get it. If Shaq got fouled for a final shot, clock basically expired and he needed to make 1 of them to win, there are no guarantees he makes 1 of them.

    In this situation, there are 4 possibilities. He makes both OR misses both OR Makes 1st/misses 2nd OR Misses 1st/Makes 2nd. 25% chance he nails both, 50% he makes 1 or the other and 25% he bricks both.

    Just because he's 50% for the course of a season/career, doesn't mean 1 of those 2 is a guarantee, just the statistical likeliness. The same risk is there for Shaq missing both FT's than it is MJ/Kobe/Bird to miss their shot. Therefore, the argument for a dominant big who can't make FT's is floored.

    It could actually be argued that the 25% likelihood of not getting a single point is less of a risk than a 50% FG chance as it's twice as likely the player attempting the FG doesn't get a single point. This would be weighted slightly however due to possibility of player being fouled on FG attempt.
    Last edited by thenaj17; 11-19-2012 at 10:17 AM.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    32,586
    vCash
    1894
    Quote Originally Posted by thenaj17:24382787
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    But you should be looking at it like this


    2/4 FT = 1/2 FGA


    3's change everything tho
    Plus the odds of someone like MJ, Kobe getting FT's are quite likely aswell
    Not as likely as Shaq
    Yo Kobe, get at me bro, we'd have a good time, man

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    32,586
    vCash
    1894
    Quote Originally Posted by thenaj17:24382859

    No it doesn't mean that and isn't correct. I don't know if i'm not explaining it clearly enough or you just don't get it. If Shaq got fouled for a final shot, clock basically expired and he needed to make 1 of them to win, there are no guarantees he makes 1 of them.
    Ill get back to you on this
    Yo Kobe, get at me bro, we'd have a good time, man

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Hereford, England
    Posts
    899
    vCash
    1500
    I have no inability to follow the conversation. The OP asks who he'd have for 1 basket at the end of 1 single game, a moment to win the game for a team.

    I'm putting in the argument i wouldn't pick a big like Shaq/Wilt/Dwight because they can't hit FT's.

    I didn't even mention that you have to get the ball to them in the first place so they are already reliant on another teammate.

    You say not as likely as Shaq but MJ/Kobe/Bird sink FT's at a much higher rate if they do get them.

    I sausage with the premise of the test of your post.
    What the hell does that even mean?

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Hereford, England
    Posts
    899
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Ill get back to you on this
    What is there to get back to me on?

    What i said is 100% CORRECT. In an isolated 1 game, 1 trip to the FT line situation, the statistical likeliness of 50% is not a guarantee that he always gets 1 of 2 FT's.

    There is a possibility (25% chance) he makes both i know, but personally i'd rather go with MJ/Bird over anyone.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    32,586
    vCash
    1894
    lol, im in a waiting room guy, I edited my post because it wasnt fair and fixed auto corrects mistake. Ill get back to you means I WILL GET BACK 2 U
    Yo Kobe, get at me bro, we'd have a good time, man

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,034
    vCash
    1500
    Jordan
    Kareem
    Kobe
    Bird
    Jerry West
    Iverson... yeah.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Behind the 8 ball
    Posts
    11,875
    vCash
    1500
    Micheal Jordan hands down.

    There have been other guys not HOF types that killed it also...Tim hardaway comes to mind. Reggie miller, John Stockton, Larry bird, Nash, Kobe, melo, and wade are all guys I want taking the last shot and all HOF players.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    51
    vCash
    1500
    Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

    Magic Johnson

    Kobe Bryant

    Michael Jordan

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,357
    vCash
    1500
    So little love for Dirk. Since we're clearly talking prime, Dirk has to be way up there. Not only is his shot unguardable, he shoots free throws at an extremely high clip too.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    Dr. Seuss

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    11,627
    vCash
    1500
    Hakeem was awesome as a go-to guy. Could overcome triple teams and was a great decision maker.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    291
    vCash
    1500
    Definitely NOT Shaq. How can people bring his name up? I love Shaq. I Still have is Magic and Lakers Jerseys in my closet. However, their is a reason the Lakers would go to him the 1st 3 quarters and then Phil Jackson would let Kobe control the 4th.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    101
    vCash
    1500
    1. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    2. Wilt Chamberlain
    3. Magic Johnson
    4. Michael Jordan
    5. Kobe Bryant

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •