Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thenaj17 View Post
    That's not the same if you need 2 or 3 points.
    Im talking about over the course of a game/season but yes if you need a final basket, you would be wary of him getting fouled.

The problem with Shaq would be that he's not guaranteed to make either of his FT's if he got 2. 50% is over the course of a season doesn't mean every 2 he gets, he makes 1 of them.

I'd be worried he'd miss both!
    This is 100% incorrect, thats precisely what it means.
    Yo Kobe, get at me bro, we'd have a good time, man

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    But you should be looking at it like this

2/4 FT = 1/2 FGA

3's change everything tho
    Plus the odds of someone like MJ, Kobe getting FT's are quite likely aswell

vCash
    The problem with Shaq would be that he's not guaranteed to make either of his FT's if he got 2. 50% is over the course of a season doesn't mean every 2 he gets, he makes 1 of them.

I'd be worried he'd miss both!
    This is 100% incorrect, thats precisely what it means.
    No it doesn't mean that and isn't incorrect. I don't know if i'm not explaining it clearly enough or you just don't get it. If Shaq got fouled for a final shot, clock basically expired and he needed to make 1 of them to win, there are no guarantees he makes 1 of them.

In this situation, there are 4 possibilities. He makes both OR misses both OR Makes 1st/misses 2nd OR Misses 1st/Makes 2nd. 25% chance he nails both, 50% he makes 1 or the other and 25% he bricks both.

Just because he's 50% for the course of a season/career, doesn't mean 1 of those 2 is a guarantee, just the statistical likeliness. The same risk is there for Shaq missing both FT's than it is MJ/Kobe/Bird to miss their shot. Therefore, the argument for a dominant big who can't make FT's is floored.

It could actually be argued that the 25% likelihood of not getting a single point is less of a risk than a 50% FG chance as it's twice as likely the player attempting the FG doesn't get a single point. This would be weighted slightly however due to possibility of player being fouled on FG attempt.
    Last edited by thenaj17; 11-19-2012 at 10:17 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thenaj17:24382787
    But you should be looking at it like this

2/4 FT = 1/2 FGA

3's change everything tho
    Plus the odds of someone like MJ, Kobe getting FT's are quite likely aswell
    Not as likely as Shaq

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thenaj17:24382859

No it doesn't mean that and isn't correct. I don't know if i'm not explaining it clearly enough or you just don't get it. If Shaq got fouled for a final shot, clock basically expired and he needed to make 1 of them to win, there are no guarantees he makes 1 of them.
    Ill get back to you on this

vCash
    I have no inability to follow the conversation. The OP asks who he'd have for 1 basket at the end of 1 single game, a moment to win the game for a team.

I'm putting in the argument i wouldn't pick a big like Shaq/Wilt/Dwight because they can't hit FT's.

I didn't even mention that you have to get the ball to them in the first place so they are already reliant on another teammate.

You say not as likely as Shaq but MJ/Kobe/Bird sink FT's at a much higher rate if they do get them.

I sausage with the premise of the test of your post.
    What the hell does that even mean?

vCash
    Ill get back to you on this
    What is there to get back to me on?

What i said is 100% CORRECT. In an isolated 1 game, 1 trip to the FT line situation, the statistical likeliness of 50% is not a guarantee that he always gets 1 of 2 FT's.

There is a possibility (25% chance) he makes both i know, but personally i'd rather go with MJ/Bird over anyone.

vCash
    lol, im in a waiting room guy, I edited my post because it wasnt fair and fixed auto corrects mistake. Ill get back to you means I WILL GET BACK 2 U

vCash
    Jordan
    Kareem
    Kobe
    Bird
    Jerry West
    Iverson... yeah.

vCash
    Micheal Jordan hands down.

There have been other guys not HOF types that killed it also...Tim hardaway comes to mind. Reggie miller, John Stockton, Larry bird, Nash, Kobe, melo, and wade are all guys I want taking the last shot and all HOF players.

vCash
    Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Magic Johnson

Kobe Bryant

Michael Jordan

vCash
    So little love for Dirk. Since we're clearly talking prime, Dirk has to be way up there. Not only is his shot unguardable, he shoots free throws at an extremely high clip too.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    Dr. Seuss

vCash
    Hakeem was awesome as a go-to guy. Could overcome triple teams and was a great decision maker.

vCash
    Definitely NOT Shaq. How can people bring his name up? I love Shaq. I Still have is Magic and Lakers Jerseys in my closet. However, their is a reason the Lakers would go to him the 1st 3 quarters and then Phil Jackson would let Kobe control the 4th.

vCash
    1. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    2. Wilt Chamberlain
    3. Magic Johnson
    4. Michael Jordan
    5. Kobe Bryant

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast