Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: Sparano

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Queens New York
    Posts
    558
    vCash
    1500

    Sparano

    After watching a few games, I am in desperate need of clarity. What exactly does Sporano bring as an offensive coordinator that Schottenhire didn't? We were supposed to have this intricate wild car offense for Tebow, but literally the only thing they ever do is give him a direct snap where they have him run straight down the middle. At least Schotty had some creativity!

    I could be wrong about Sporano, but I highly doubt it, he runs consecutive plays to the same exact person, the running game has been nill (Shonn Greene is garbage) and I have seen NO Creativity in our offense. So why exactly do we have him around?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    866
    vCash
    1500
    Greene is a decent player behind the right o line. We just arent setup to get the best out of a big strong lad who runs up the middle 30 times a game (which is what greene is)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    18,790
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange famous View Post
    Greene is a decent player behind the right o line. We just arent setup to get the best out of a big strong lad who runs up the middle 30 times a game (which is what greene is)
    Greene was running pretty well to the outside yesterday. Then for some reason that I can't imagine, They abandoned the run.


    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,271
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    Greene was running pretty well to the outside yesterday. Then for some reason that I can't imagine, They abandoned the run.
    The ghost of Schotty has possessed Sparano.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,271
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange famous View Post
    Greene is a decent player behind the right o line. We just arent setup to get the best out of a big strong lad who runs up the middle 30 times a game (which is what greene is)
    I'm glad you mentioned this, but not for what you wrote.

    The Jets have a GREAT record when Greene carries for 30+ times a game, something like 25-10 (Michael Irvin stated this a couple weeks back), and they have a losing record when he doesn't.

    Meaning the Jets need to not abandon the running game with Greene, as sticking with the run (regardless of whether it's picking up big chunks of yardage or not) works.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Earfffff
    Posts
    33,284
    vCash
    1500
    schotty ran an overcomplicated but terrible and inefficient offense with horrible situational play calls.

    sparano runs a dumbed down yet still terrible and inefficient offense with horrible situational play calls.

    that is the difference.
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    267
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by MrX27 View Post
    I'm glad you mentioned this, but not for what you wrote.

    The Jets have a GREAT record when Greene carries for 30+ times a game, something like 25-10 (Michael Irvin stated this a couple weeks back), and they have a losing record when he doesn't.

    Meaning the Jets need to not abandon the running game with Greene, as sticking with the run (regardless of whether it's picking up big chunks of yardage or not) works.
    I didn't see Michael Irvin say this - but are you sure it wasn't when the Jets run 30+ times in general? The Jets had a better o-line during Rex's first two years, plus a mix of TJ and Shonn Greene in 2009. During that time the Jets had a top defense that could make up for a significant number of 3-and-outs and short drives.

    This year the defense isn't quite the same unit. They are still capable, to be sure, but you can see them wear down through games because they are constantly on the field.

    That stat is all well and good, but you can't just keep running it when you're down by several touchdowns - a situation that's not unfamiliar for the Jets. They're forced to play catchup a lot of the time.

    I think everyone is aware that Shonn Greene plays best late in the game against a worn down defense. The problem is that if you hand him the rock repeatedly in the first half, you're gonna see:

    1st down: Shonn Greene for 2 yards
    2nd down: Shonn Greene for 1 yard
    3rd down: Shonn Greene on the draw for 4 yards, or more likely, Mark Sanchez's pass incomplete
    Last edited by Jets Fan Tdot; 11-12-2012 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Spelling

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,271
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Fan Tdot View Post
    I didn't see Michael Irvin say this - but are you sure it wasn't when the Jets run 30+ times in general? The Jets had a better o-line during Rex's first two years, plus a mix of TJ and Shonn Greene in 2009. During that time the Jets had a top defense that could make up for a significant number of 3-and-outs and short drives.

    This year the defense isn't quite the same unit. They are still capable, to be sure, but you can see them wear down through games because they are constantly on the field.

    That stat is all well and good, but you can't just keep running it when you're down by several touchdowns - a situation that's not unfamiliar for the Jets. They're forced to play catchup a lot of the time.

    I think everyone is aware that Shonn Greene plays best late in the game against a worn down defense. The problem is that if you hand him the rock repeatedly in the first half, you're gonna see:

    1st down: Shonn Greene for 2 yards
    2nd down: Shonn Greene for 1 yard
    3rd down: Shonn Greene on the draw for 4 yards, or more likely, Mark Sanchez's pass incomplete
    I mentioned the quote in another thread when it was stated, not sure what thread that is, but I'm sure it was rush for 30 times, just had Shonn Greene on my mind.

    I'd take Shonn Greene running for fewer yards in the 1st half and pound the rock for more in the 2nd half, if it means we can see the result we want.
    Plus, let Powell and McKnight carry the rock and spell Greene more in the 1st half if for nothing else than to give the D different running styles to worry about.

    If the Jets simply stuck with a gameplan that typically wins, then they can increase their odds of winning. Problem is they have to stick with it, and not abandon it, once they get down a score, which they seem to do too often.


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    267
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by MrX27 View Post
    I mentioned the quote in another thread when it was stated, not sure what thread that is, but I'm sure it was rush for 30 times, just had Shonn Greene on my mind.

    I'd take Shonn Greene running for fewer yards in the 1st half and pound the rock for more in the 2nd half, if it means we can see the result we want.
    Plus, let Powell and McKnight carry the rock and spell Greene more in the 1st half if for nothing else than to give the D different running styles to worry about.

    If the Jets simply stuck with a gameplan that typically wins, then they can increase their odds of winning. Problem is they have to stick with it, and not abandon it, once they get down a score, which they seem to do too often.
    I agree that they shouldn't abandon it too early... the problem is that at some point, the score will necessitate throwing to catch up. The defense can't keep the score within 3 points like they used to.

    I really hope the Jets go for a back around the second or third round this year - preferably a speed back (I know - not very ground and poundish). They need someone that at least has a chance to break off big runs. Even if Shonn Greene had a hole the size of a truck and no one in front of him - he would still get caught from behind after about 20 yards.

    I've wanted to see Mcknight on the field for a while - but the fact that he's barely been there must mean something (fumbling problems?)... it better not be something as stupid as Mcknight not fitting in with the ground and pound philosophy, or not getting along with members of the coaching staff

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,927
    vCash
    1500
    Sparano has the same problem as Shotty in that they both abandon the run way too early. Even if the Jets fall behind early, they still have to run the ball. This team does not have the personnel to throw the ball 30 times a game and win (which is pathetic in today's NFL).

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,196
    vCash
    1500
    WOW! Sanchez is absolutely terrible. He is simply left with zero confidence. I wont lie, I feel bad for him. I dont blame him fully, as his success is largely a derivative of those around him, althought a QB (Especially one picked No. 5 in NYC) is going to get the blame.

    He is done...I am sorry this did not work out Mark.

    Way back in the stands, you can see my Wife holding my son on the ledge at his first Green and White scrimmage...circa 2013...aka "The Transformation" year into greatness! That's right Emryk...you saw the beginning stages of JETS Greatness first hand!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Abyss
    Posts
    4,295
    vCash
    1500
    Want clarity? Consult the magic 8-ball.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    513
    vCash
    1500
    You know I would like to see from the Jets offense? At least one play that they can run and execute. Every play looks like they just learned it in the huddle pointing to rock in the grass. Runs up the middle to nowhere, two completed passes in a row, pick up a 3 and 1 consistently. None of that happens with this offense. Either Sparano is a Dolphins plant sent here to ruin us further or Sanchez is an idiot. I'm ready to see what Tebow can do now.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,286
    vCash
    1500
    Doesnt matter who the O.C. is. They are limited to what the QB can and cannot do.

    Pretty much slants....

    Sanchez is a one read QB if his first option isnt open its usually an incomplete pass sack or a check down.

    Greene will never see open lanes because teams dont fear Sanchez's ability to throw the ball down field. Defenses sell out on the run.

    When your QB completes 50% of his passes what can you really call as an O.C.?


    "The Butt of all jokes"

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    21,995
    vCash
    1500
    Sporano's whole system depends on the OL. He in the past has gotten good production in the run game and he uses creativity to get deep passes. With our OL so inconsistent its hard to stick with the run and with the pass protection so poor it doesn't allow creativity because you have to get the ball out so quick it doesn't even matter if you run anything more complicated then ins outs and slants.

    I hope he is in Mr. Ts ear all day so we can bring in 2 really good linemen. Starting linemen too, not just bodies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •