Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Allen has a fan in Saints Coach....sfgate.com

Maybe when Saints interim head coach Joe Vitt is done giving his team a pep talk, and making sure they're ready for the Raiders on Sunday, he could go to the Oakland locker room.

The Raiders, even after giving up 97 points - including a team-record 55 at Baltimore on Sunday - the past two weeks, are dangerous, Vitt said.

Vitt said - and the history books bear him out - that since 2005, when a team allows more than 50 points in a game and then plays at home the following week, that team is 5-1.

"They wind up having four sacks, forcing three turnovers and allowing 20 points," he said. "Offensively, they score 26 points and they rush for 146 yards. Now that's history. That's what history tells us."

Vitt worked with Oakland head coach Dennis Allen when Allen was the Saints' defensive backs coach from 2008 to '10, and he is a big fan.

"D.A. is going to stay the course," Vitt said. "He is going to get people healthy, he is going to circle the wagons and we're going to get the Raiders' best game of the year."

Allen smiled when he heard Vitt's stat.

"Joe's got a stat for everything," Allen said. "Hopefully, he's right."

The Saints (4-5) have won four of their past five, and beat the undefeated Falcons Sunday. The oddsmakers in Las Vegas made New Orleans - a team with a losing record on the road - a five-point favorite over the Raiders (3-6).

The Saints obviously think highly of Allen from his time there. Vitt said Raiders fans should trust in the first-year head coach.

"There is not a more qualified guy to be coaching that team than Dennis Allen right now," Vitt said. "Allen was here with us since '06. Dennis Allen is smart, Dennis Allen has great people skills, Dennis Allen knows how to teach, motivate and inspire.

"D.A. has always had the 'It' factor."

Vitt even seemed to take a shot at last year's Raiders head coach, Hue Jackson.

"Dennis Allen is not going to go off the cuff ... by saying or doing dumb things," Vitt said. "He is going to have his football team focused and he is going to have them get better."

Allen won a Super Bowl ring with the Saints, and thanks them for getting his first head-coaching job at 39 (he turned 40 two months ago).

"I started coaching in the National Football League in Atlanta, but really I grew up in the National Football League in New Orleans," said Allen, who became the Broncos' defensive coordinator last season.

Story time: Vitt had a great story about his first meeting with late Raiders owner Al Davis at the NFL combine in 1981. Vitt had just been fired as the strength coach and quality-control coach for the Colts, and was looking for a job.

"There I am in the locker room during the player weigh-in and I spot Mr. Davis," Vitt said. "I go up to him and I say 'Coach, my name is Joe Vitt. I'm only 26 years old but I have been in the league three years. I was the strength coach. I was the quality-control coach. I gave out the tickets on the plane ...'

"I told him all the wonderful accomplishments I had over my three-year period with the Baltimore Colts. And he looked me in the eye and said, 'Son, when I was 26 years old, I was the commissioner of the AFL.' "

It turns out that at the age of 26, Davis was actually an assistant coach at The Citadel. Maybe that makes the story even better.

vCash
    IF I was coaching in the NFL i would do everything in my power to keep a guy whos team is 3-6 around.

vCash
    Good read.

And we'll see if that statistic moves to 6-1 with the Raiders under Allen.

*ETA - Thought the "5-1" was "15-1" -- honest mistake.
    Last edited by Shred003; 11-16-2012 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Edited for GOP math

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shred003 View Post
    Good read.

And we'll see if that statistic moves to 16-1 with the Raiders under Allen.
    16 - 1 ? ok i`ll take whatever Shred is drinking.

I would`nt hold our breath on this one, New Orleans from what I heard, has not forwarded their punter to town lol.

Reggie got played in a New York Minute

vCash
    Its no wonder so many people hated Al. I love his creation, but I have a feeling I'd have been unable to work for him.

-Stork

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by themadstork View Post
    Its no wonder so many people hated Al. I love his creation, but I have a feeling I'd have been unable to work for him.

-Stork
    This is from Corkrans blog...Joe Vitt recalling meeting Al Davis for the first time at the scouting combine while looking for a job:

So, I go up to him, I say, `Hey, coach, my name is Joe Vitt. Im only 26 years old but Ive been in the league three years. I was the strength coach, I was the quality control coach, I gave out the tickets on the plane. I told him all the wonderful accomplishments I had over my three-year-period with the Baltimore Colts.
    He looked me in the eye and said, `Son, when I was 26 years old I was the commissioner of the AFL. I crawled out of the lockerroom. And he never forgot that, and I never forgot that. Ive always enjoyed my time and my conversations with them since then.
    lol. ****ing Al.

vCash
    True to life Al was always bigger in person... hahaha Let's make Vitt right...

"The greatness of the Raiders is in the future..." ~ Al Davis