Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

D'Antoni and Defense in Context

I saw Stephen A. Smith all over ESPN this morning, in full high-dudgeon mode, bloviating himself to the point of exhaustion about how D'Antoni will fail because D'Antoni doesn't believe in defense.

As ammunition for this idiocy Smith insisted that D'Antoni's teams were the WORST defensive teams year in and year out, but each time he made the point he only referenced points per game, not points per possession. To try to limit criticism about his approach he admitted that a faster pace equals more points per game, but he didn't follow up and also admit that by more reasonable metrics D'Antoni's teams were average on defense, not awful.

So: we now know that Stephen A. Smith has picked sides in the Lakers' coaching fight, and that he's shilling for the anti-front-office crowd. Fine.

But there's another problem with Stephen A. Smith's criticism about how defense wins championships. It applies equally to the crap performance that Mike Brown was getting out of the Lakers during the first five games. To see what I mean, consider the following stats during Brown's five coached games, and the three games after he was fired:

2012-2013

Brown:
    PF: 486 97.2/g
    PA: 494 98.8/g
    Diff: -1.6/g

30-point quarters allowed by LA: 5 (avergage 1 per game)
    25-point quarters allowed by LA: 11 (average 2.2 per game)

Interim:
    PF: 286 95.3/g
    PA: 251 83.6/g
    Diff: +11.7/g

30-point quarters allowed by LA: 0 (average 0 per game)
    25-point quarters allowed by LA: 1 (average .33 per game)

Note specifically the points allowed during Brown's games and after Brown was fired. Yes, the sample sizes are small, but without genius defensive coach Mike Brown on the team the Lakers gave up 15 FEWER points per game than when genius defensive coach Mike Brown was running things.

Too, the Lakers had a negative point differential under Brown. After Brown was fired -- in large part because his defense was awful -- the Lakers point differential grew to better than 11 a game, and that includes the game against the Spurs that was a virtual tie.

So when you consider D'Antoni's defense going forward, I hope you'll do so not in absolute terms, like the idiot Stephen A. Smith, but in context. If we're scoring more than the other team that's good. And if our differential is greater than Brown's that's also good, no matter how many points we're giving up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GailGoodrich View Post
    I saw Stephen A. Smith all over ESPN this morning, in full high-dudgeon mode, bloviating himself to the point of exhaustion about how D'Antoni will fail because D'Antoni doesn't believe in defense.

As ammunition for this idiocy Smith insisted that D'Antoni's teams were the WORST defensive teams year in and year out, but each time he made the point he only referenced points per game, not points per possession. To try to limit criticism about his approach he admitted that a faster pace equals more points per game, but he didn't follow up and also admit that by more reasonable metrics D'Antoni's teams were average on defense, not awful.

So: we now know that Stephen A. Smith has picked sides in the Lakers' coaching fight, and that he's shilling for the anti-front-office crowd. Fine.

But there's another problem with Stephen A. Smith's criticism about how defense wins championships. It applies equally to the crap performance that Mike Brown was getting out of the Lakers during the first five games. To see what I mean, consider the following stats during Brown's five coached games, and the three games after he was fired:

2012-2013

Brown:
    PF: 486 97.2/g
    PA: 494 98.8/g
    Diff: -1.6/g

30-point quarters allowed by LA: 5 (avergage 1 per game)
    25-point quarters allowed by LA: 11 (average 2.2 per game)

Interim:
    PF: 286 95.3/g
    PA: 251 83.6/g
    Diff: +11.7/g

30-point quarters allowed by LA: 0 (average 0 per game)
    25-point quarters allowed by LA: 1 (average .33 per game)

Note specifically the points allowed during Brown's games and after Brown was fired. Yes, the sample sizes are small, but without genius defensive coach Mike Brown on the team the Lakers gave up 15 FEWER points per game than when genius defensive coach Mike Brown was running things.

Too, the Lakers had a negative point differential under Brown. After Brown was fired -- in large part because his defense was awful -- the Lakers point differential grew to better than 11 a game, and that includes the game against the Spurs that was a virtual tie.

So when you consider D'Antoni's defense going forward, I hope you'll do so not in absolute terms, like the idiot Stephen A. Smith, but in context. If we're scoring more than the other team that's good. And if our differential is greater than Brown's that's also good, no matter how many points we're giving up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd9OW4sAlIE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB-Pau-DH2012 View Post
    Awesome!

And by the way, when I say that Stephen A. is an idiot, I mean that chump imposter on TV and radio -- not you.

vCash
    Awesome!

And by the way, when I say that Stephen A. is an idiot, I mean that chump imposter on TV and radio -- not you.

But tbh, I don't agree with either Magic or Stephen A. on their assessments of D'Antoni.

This Laker team will play defense, and elite defense for that matter. Top 5 in the league. I guarantee it. Kobe and Dwight are too smart, too experienced and want that title so badly (Kobe to tie MJ and Dwight to just get that 1st) for them not to instill a defensive identity within this Lakers squad.

vCash
    D'Antoni didn't officialy coach, but he gave the Lakers permission to run.

Detractors will say the Lakers gave up too many points: 102.

But the Lakers scored 114 and limited PHX to 18 in the 4th Quarter.

+12 in point differential? Who wouldn't take that every game?

Yes, it's a work in progress. Yes, it was PHX and they're terrible defensively.

But it's a start. And we didn't have Nash or Blake. Or D'Antoni on the bench.

vCash
    if we would of fired brown from last summer i can jus imagine wat are record would be now

vCash
    D'Antoni didn't officialy coach, but he gave the Lakers permission to run.

Detractors will say the Lakers gave up too many points: 102.

But the Lakers scored 114 and limited PHX to 18 in the 4th Quarter.

+12 in point differential? Who wouldn't take that every game?

Yes, it's a work in progress. Yes, it was PHX and they're terrible defensively.

But it's a start. And we didn't have Nash or Blake. Or D'Antoni on the bench.
    Check out the the Suns' games this season and how many points given up.

Chicago: 110
    Denver: 100
    Cleveland: 105
    Charloette: 110
    Miami: 124
    Orlando: 115

The Suns just give up a lot of points. I don't know how much if any influence D'Antonni had in this last game. The offense was not a spread offense or a pick and roll offense. They were not running anything that D'Antonni normally specializes in and the pg was not pushing the ball up the floor to get quick looks.

Why the high scoring? Two teams that were not playing good defense and a Phoenix team that is solid offensively if you don't clamp down on them hard. Nothing else to see here.
    Last edited by Pluvious; 11-17-2012 at 10:26 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lakersiznumber1 View Post
    if we would of fired brown from last summer i can jus imagine wat are record would be now
    And if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.:

But you are right.
    Avatar will not change until the Angels reach .500
    thanks to popo85 for sig

vCash
    at this point I don't expect much on D from our aging personnel so I say we just outscore everyone we play and pringles is the man for that job