Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Old School vs New School?

Miggy's Ave, HR and RBI won over Trout's WAR and other sabermetric stats.
    Nick

vCash
    Yeah it's a joke. Not taking anything away from Miggy though. He was a monster at the plate. Trout had the superior season though and deserves the MVP.

The whole playoff team argument is completely illogical by the way. An individual player has minimal control over that, and it's not Trouts fault his teammates underperformed and that the Angels play in a much tougher division.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Clipper View Post
    Yeah it's a joke. Not taking anything away from Miggy though. He was a monster at the plate. Trout had the superior season though and deserves the MVP.

The whole playoff team argument is completely illogical by the way. An individual player has minimal control over that, and it's not Trouts fault his teammates underperformed and that the Angels play in a much tougher division.
    Old school won out on this, but Trout was more deserving and his team had a better record than the Tigers, while playing in a much tougher division.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    Old school won out on this, but Trout was more deserving and his team had a better record than the Tigers, while playing in a much tougher division.
    Then why didn't they make the playoffs....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    Then why didn't they make the playoffs....
    Because they don't play in the AL Central

vCash
    I believe the correct decision was made. Everyone has a different way of looking at the game and following. Saying one person is wrong because they use these stats or those stats is dumb. I think you could have given this award to either one, and it would have made sense. It would be like trying to compare a Ferrari and Lambo, it really wouldn't matter, just give me one. They both had great seasons and were equally deserving, but I think the fact Miggy did something that hasn't been done in so long helped.

Hey people come to the park to see homers, runs crossing the plate. Nobody sits there and says "Gee, I hope Cano can raise his WAR today."
    FC Bayern Munchen

New York Yankees
    71-66

G: 123 | AVG: .261| HR: 3| RBI: 37| OBP: .309 | SLG: .311 | wOBA: .281 | wRC: 74

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yankees90. View Post
    I believe the correct decision was made. Everyone has a different way of looking at the game and following. Saying one person is wrong because they use these stats or those stats is dumb. I think you could have given this award to either one, and it would have made sense. It would be like trying to compare a Ferrari and Lambo, it really wouldn't matter, just give me one. They both had great seasons and were equally deserving, but I think the fact Miggy did something that hasn't been done in so long helped.

Hey people come to the park to see homers, runs crossing the plate. Nobody sits there and says "Gee, I hope Cano can raise his WAR today."
    So let me get this straight. You think Miggy deserves it because he won the triple crown. If Granderson or Hamilton hit a few more home runs down the stretch to take the crown away from him he wouldn't be deserving anymore?

A few players have won the triple crown and not the MVP in the same season before too...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TallicaFan87 View Post
    Because they don't play in the AL Central
    sarcasm

vCash

Exactly right. I don't know why it is so hard for some people to understand this.
    The reasoning could not be any simpler.
    'Real' Yankee fans tell the truth about the team whether it is nice or not.

"Well, that kind of puts a damper on even a Yankee win."
    -- Yankees announcer Phil Rizzuto after reading a bulletin that Pope Paul VI had died

vCash
    Let's say it's a difficult argument, some favor Miggy slightly over Trout and some favor Trout slightly over Miggy.

In my opinion, Miggy was definitely the most deserving and not just because of the old school Triple Crown argument, and not just because his team made the playoffs, but how about the ridiculous number of his HR's that were hit from the 7th inning or RBI's that were hit with 2 outs and RISP. I heard on the radio after he was selected that he converted 72% of those RBI chances, which if it's true, I can't fathom how anyone is capable of doing that.

vCash
    I'm glad Miguel won the MVP because I thought he deserved it more and I had forgotten all about the triple crown he won. WAR and everything else may say Trout was better but I think Cabrera was more deserved and a fine MVP. If Trout really is all that he is cracked up to be then he shouldn't have a problem winning the MVP by a landslide next year since he'll have had a full year to gaudy up his stats Cabrera style.

Official Dolphins Draft Guru '11 & NFL Draft Guru '12

Enjoy hilarious podcasts about popculture, wrestling, and videogames? Check out the lasertime network at lasertimepodcast.com

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Jokemaker View Post
    I'm glad Miguel won the MVP because I thought he deserved it more and I had forgotten all about the triple crown he won. WAR and everything else may say Trout was better but I think Cabrera was more deserved and a fine MVP. If Trout really is all that he is cracked up to be then he shouldn't have a problem winning the MVP by a landslide next year since he'll have had a full year to gaudy up his stats Cabrera style.
    Do you have anything else to back up that claim? It seems way too general of a statement.

vCash
    So let me get this straight. You think Miggy deserves it because he won the triple crown. If Granderson or Hamilton hit a few more home runs down the stretch to take the crown away from him he wouldn't be deserving anymore?

A few players have won the triple crown and not the MVP in the same season before too...
    I never said that. I said I believe Miggy won, and by a lot, because of the Triple Crown. Do I necessarily disagree with it? No. But it's definitely not the only reason I think he should have won. Giving it to someone just because of the TC would have been dumb. There just is no denying Miggy's numbers.

As I said though, Trout could have won, and it too would have been the right decision. We had two guys who were equally as deserving. It's like the analogy I used. Lambo or Ferrari, does it really matter? If I had to choose i would have chosen Miggy.
    FC Bayern Munchen

New York Yankees
    71-66

G: 123 | AVG: .261| HR: 3| RBI: 37| OBP: .309 | SLG: .311 | wOBA: .281 | wRC: 74

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yankees90. View Post

I never said that. I said I believe Miggy won, and by a lot, because of the Triple Crown. Do I necessarily disagree with it? No. But it's definitely not the only reason I think he should have won. Giving it to someone just because of the TC would have been dumb. There just is no denying Miggy's numbers.

As I said though, Trout could have won, and it too would have been the right decision. We had two guys who were equally as deserving. It's like the analogy I used. Lambo or Ferrari, does it really matter? If I had to choose i would have chosen Miggy.
    When you factor in base running and defense, I don't think it's close at all. Respect your opinion though, this debate could go on forever though

vCash
    Mccutchen stats = Posey stats.

MVP!

Oh.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

BREAKING NEWS: Sources tell me it's official. We stink.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast