Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

Stuckey wants to be the 6th man...

But Frank wants him to start...

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...ce-Frank-isn-t
    Auburn Hills — Rodney Stuckey had the same observations about Wednesday's game as everyone else, as far as rookie Kyle Singler's seamless transition into the starting lineup in emergency duty, a move that resulted in the Pistons' first win.

So if Lawrence Frank wants to keep rolling with Singler in the first five, Stuckey has no problem with it — in fact, the more the sixth-year guard spoke, the more he seemed to warm up to the idea of being a super sixth-man, in the mold of the Clippers' Jamal Crawford and the Knicks' J.R. Smith. He almost campaigned for the change.

"I can be the guy to come off the bench and just attack and bring energy with Will (Bynum) and those guys," said Stuckey, feeling better after a flu bug kept him from making the trip to Philadelphia. "I don't mind it at all. Whatever coach wants me to do, I'm happy. I'm not beating my head about it."

There's only one problem, though. Frank seems steadfast to the idea of Stuckey returning to the starting lineup for tonight's game against the Magic.

"Same lineup, we haven't changed. Everything's the same," Frank said after practice. "He looked better."

Stuckey said he was bed-ridden Wednesday, courtesy of a flu passed along by his soon-to-be-13 month old son.

"I was puking, I'm fine now. It's something going around my household," said Stuckey, while adding he watched parts of the game between bouts of his stomach acting up.

What Stuckey likely saw Wednesday and then in Thursday's film session was a first unit that played fluidly and cohesively in the Pistons' 94-76 rout of the 76ers. Singler's perpetual motion and spot-up shooting meshed well with Brandon Knight and Greg Monroe, as he scored 16 points in 40 minutes.

In fact, it wouldn't be surprising if Stuckey volunteered to come off the bench to keep continuity — and perhaps to jumpstart his own season.

"It doesn't matter to me, I don't really care about starting," Stuckey said. "The only thing that happens about starting is they call your name. Whatever helps our team wins. If Kyle is better with the first group, he should start."

The second unit plays a style more conducive to Stuckey's — attacking, going to the basket and seemingly with a little less structure.

Playing with the likes of Corey Maggette and Andre Drummond can conceivably open things up for Stuckey, as he'll be able to handle the ball more as opposed to playing with the first unit.

"What about Will Bynum?" Frank shot back upon the suggestion of Stuckey having more opportunities to create with the ball. "You always have to do what's best for the team, not what's best for the individual. I think when the focus is individual over team, that's when you get problems."

But the Pistons aren't committed to developing Bynum; Frank has repeatedly stated the evaluation and growth of Knight is an ongoing process, so Knight has handled the bulk of playcalling and ballhandling duties, compared to last season, when the Stuckey-Knight combo shared responsibilities.

The role change has put Stuckey in a precarious spot, although Stuckey is better equipped to defend athletic shooting guards than Singler. Frank likes having the security of Stuckey being able to create shots in the first unit and as an occasional ballhandler.

"I just look at the performance," Frank said. "Like I said about Kyle, I'm very comfortable with him. With him, if he continues to play that way, he'll get time."

Although Stuckey doesn't want to be a point guard, he's at his best when he has the ball in his hands, probing and attacking defenses. Early this season, he's found himself in the corner standing still, waiting on the offense to make its way to him.

Driving lanes have been clogged and by his own admission, Stuckey isn't a stand-still three-point shooter. To say Stuckey started off slow is an understatement, as he's shooting just 28 percent and averaging 9.3 points and 4.3 assists in eight games.

"I'd love doing that, I'd have no problems, whatever 'L' wants me to do," Stuckey said. "I thought Kyle played phenomenal, he did an excellent job. If I need to come off the bench, I'll do whatever I need to."
    Last edited by Gators123; 11-16-2012 at 08:41 AM.

vCash
    I would like too see how he can do with the sixth man role and to be honest I think he would be really good at it if you just put the ball in his hands and let him run the 2nd unit.Frank should really do this now if Stuckey is on board because Singler can compliment Knight alot better than Stuckey.
    Last edited by RipCity32; 11-16-2012 at 10:14 AM.

vCash
    Agree whole-heartedly. I mentioned this on another thread yesterday. He could be the go-to guy on the second team, with Maggette, JJ and Stuck, that's more than enough vets on the floor to give Drummond plenty of time on the floor, Singler is a better spot up shooter and that would certainly help open things up for Knight and, we might have an asset (Bynum) to trade at the deadline.

vCash
    A lot of people have been saying he's better suite as a sixth man anyway. We've seen him fail time after time as a starter so why not try something new? Its not like the Pistons are going to be making the playoffs or fighting for a division so we can afford a few lineup tinkerings.

Catches: Yards: TDs:

vCash

Just like the article says, its very easy to say I'll be willing to come of the bench when you KNOW you are told it won't happen, I mean really? The dude crys about everything; the leader of the protest to skip practice and the coach. How do you think he will act when it actually happens? Esp since he considers himself the best player on the team. Please!

We said give it time for him to play point guard he will come around, he sucked and got put to sg. Everyone said this is his natural position and will thrive their, and is playing even worse then he is then when he was at point. And now everyone is saying being on the bench is his natural position. What makes you think he will do good their? What proof do we have that will show us he will do good their.

And if stuckey goes to the bench, what exactly does that mean? He can still get his usual 30+ min a game off the bench thus taking away from Singler. Who's gonna play in the 4th where he has proven he can't show up and will not provide flow to the game like singler provides?

Think!
    Last edited by shyfly24; 11-16-2012 at 10:33 AM.

vCash
    I give him credit for seeing that the team was better without him and then making it known that he will move to the 6th man if it helps the team. I thought Stuck would do well as a starting SG and so far he hasn't, why not give him a try in the second unit?

vCash
    What is more likely the case? Stuckey willing to come off the bench after he was told he won't be their or Stuckey crying about sucking and wanting to shut it down? Esp when he is that kind of player from years past.

vCash
    "We didn't come in today with the right mind-set," he said. "We kind of messed around today, but we are happy we got the first win under our belt. Hopefully we can build off it."

Really stuckey? WE are happy that WE got the first win? Last time I checked you had nothing to do w/ that win.

And I wonder why you guys messed around ... prob cause you came back. No one takes anything seriously when your their
    Last edited by shyfly24; 11-16-2012 at 11:01 AM.

vCash
    The problem Shy is that hes still on the team whether we like it or not so unless we can put him in the Hooper costume we have to find a role for him so we might as well try sixth man at least its better thN him disrupting the starting unit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RipCity32 View Post
    The problem Shy is that hes still on the team whether we like it or not so unless we can put him in the Hooper costume we have to find a role for him so we might as well try sixth man at least its better thN him disrupting the starting unit.
    I get that, but my point is, he can still get his usual 30+ min. So it really doesn't matter where he plays. If he gets that then that takes min away from more efficient players that fit our system that provide flow to our game that we have never seen w/ stuckey.

Even if he is on the team, you play players who make the team better not cause they are considered the "best" we have. CV gets paid a lot and is on the bench cause of his horrible play, why isn't stuckey their? His numbers have to be some kind of record of how inefficient they are.

vCash
    And this thread is pointless, cause Frank won't have the balls to bench Stuckey. Even after the win and Singlers play we are still putting stuckey into the starting lineup

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shyfly24 View Post
    And this thread is pointless, cause Frank won't have the balls to bench Stuckey. Even after the win and Singlers play we are still putting stuckey into the starting lineup
    ‏@Vincent_Ellis56

Stuckey suggested Kyle start in a meeting with Frank. #Pistons
    ‏@vgoodwill

Stuckey, as I said yesterday, went to coach Frank and volunteered to come off the bench. Frank said ok. #Pistons

vCash
    This **** cracks me up how is it that the media,fans and everyone else knows the lineups this team should have out there except our head coach.Now our starting SG has even lost confidence in himself and is talking about playing on the bench and Frank is still refusing.Were 1-8 so why not try something out because obviously its not working and were ready for some new faces out there.

vCash
    Singler is not a sg one game against j.rich is not enough proof & we won because philly was really small...so it didn't matter if stuckey played or not. I wouldn't mind seeing how he thrives as the sixth man tho. Now if he can do it against some of the elite sg then I would say yea but Singler is a lil slow esp for the 2. I say we try English Drummond & Singler in the starting lineup.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mike 810 View Post
    Singler is not a sg one game against j.rich is not enough proof & we won because philly was really small...so it didn't matter if stuckey played or not. I wouldn't mind seeing how he thrives as the sixth man tho. Now if he can do it against some of the elite sg then I would say yea but Singler is a lil slow esp for the 2. I say we try English Drummond & Singler in the starting lineup.
    If philly is so small and suck why couldn't 4 other teams beat them? Why did Denver lose to them? Denver has some bigs.

And isn't philly a good defense team? Explain how we scored the way we did at such an efficient way?

Cause the game flowed better! Its not just stuckey standing in one spot and passing to a guy being guarded. It was players breaking the defense down and looking for the open guy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast