Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Grigson and Arians assesses the rookie class

QB Andrew Luck (6-4, 234), D-1 (1)

Has directed decisive fourth-quarter or OT drives in four of Colts’ six victories. Arians was with Peyton Manning and Ben Roethlisberger as rookies. Luck is doing more, sooner, than either of them.

Arians: “I can honestly say I’ve not had one this far along, and at a lot of positions, at any position.”

Grigson: “Just needs continued game experience and to continue learning game lessons in this league. No one sets the bar higher than he does. That’s the comforting thing about him. He’s never going to let off the gas because he wants to be great.”
    TE Coby Fleener (6-6, 252), D-2 (34)

Was supposed to provide the Dallas Clark dimension, to split wide or set up in tight formation, go down the seam, stretch the field.

Grigson: “He was classified as a weapon from Day 1, and that’s what he is.”

Arians: “He’s blocked better than I ever hoped on the line of scrimmage and he obviously flashes as a receiver. Just keep getting stronger and get the shoulder back.”
    TE Dwayne Allen (6-3, 255), D-3 (64)

Complete tight end since Day 1. Shows Pro Bowl potential.

Grigson: “He’s a man. As impressive as he is across the board as a football player in every facet of his game, he’s equally impressive in his demeanor
    and his approach. He’s what you want.”

Arians: “It’s a dream because you can use both (Allen and Fleener) at the same time and they can (line up) anywhere and do a lot of different things.
    Dwayne’s stepped up big-time. He can lead block. He’s catching the ball. He can run after the catch.”
    WR/PR T.Y. Hilton (5-9, 183), D-3 (92)

Twelve wide receivers were drafted before Hilton, 19 after. None has had a 100-yard receiving game. Hilton has two. Showed big-play capacity in first with catches of 32, 36 and 40 yards (TD) and a 32-yard punt return nullified by penalty. Colts’ No. 3 receiver but Arians sees ability and drive to be a 1.

Arians: “I think a solid 1. I do, which is surprising because when we drafted him we thought he was just a kick returner. He’s turning into a really classy receiver and he’s ready to break a kick return.”
    NT Josh Chapman (6-0, 316), D-5 (136)

Played final seven games for national champ Alabama with torn anterior cruciate ligament and torn meniscus in left knee. Reconstructive surgery in January and on reserve/non-football injury list until activated Monday.

Grigson: “He’s the kind of guy who doesn’t want you blowing smoke about him because he hasn’t done anything yet. He’s an open book right now. We’ve just got to see how he comes along and hopefully he is what we thought he was.”

Arians: “What we see, we like. So it’s lets just keep our fingers crossed; we think we’ve got something special.”
    RB Vick Ballard (5-10, 217), D-5 (170)

Has started past five games with Brown hobbled by knee injury. Might yield that role to Brown on Sunday but would continue to alternate.

Grigson: “He had a lot of tread on the tires in a big-time conference (the Southeastern). He had a gaudy average (6.1 yards a carry) in a big-time
    conference. We liked that he was a very productive player in a tough conference.”

Arians: “Every down back now. He caught three balls against Miami, all for big first downs. Hard runner. He finished out two games for us (running to
    kill the clock) and his pass blocking is outstanding for a rookie.”
    WR/KR LaVon Brazill (5-11, 191), D-6 (206)

Fumbled kickoff at Chicago that Bears turned into FG. Let punt bounce against Minnesota that pinned Colts at their 2-yard line.

Arians: “LaVon is a big play waiting to happen. He’s probably the one guy that needs more consistency. His opportunities were lessened because of failures on special teams. He flashes, so you know the potential is there.”
    G Justin Anderson (6-5, 342), D-7 (208)

Began practicing last week after spending preseason and first nine weeks of the regular season on the reserve/non-football injury list with a foot
    problem. Must be activated by next week or left on reserve list remainder of the season.

Grigson: “I went into Georgia and he was an explosive, enormous man, 6-4, 340 and change. And he’s a dancing bear. When you get qualities like that in the late rounds you get excited. He has to be a student of the game if he’s every going to reach his ceiling.”
    QB Chandler Harnish (6-2, 220), D-7 (253)

Practice squad player from Bluffton, Ind. Tough-minded, talented developmental player for whom the Colts have high hopes.

Grigson: “He has all the qualities you want. The M.O. on him in college was very athletic, smart but needed to become a more accurate passer. I think in the preseason he showed that (improvement). He’s coming along. He’s a hardworking farm boy.”

Arians: “Hopefully he can fight his way into a No. 2 battle.”
    WR Nathan Palmer, undrafted free agent; signed off San Francisco's practice squad.

Nickname: “NaPalm.” Colts like his potential and love his speed. Elkhart, Ind., native.

Grigson: “Extremely explosive. Plays fast. Some guys run fast but don’t play fast. He just exploded on tape and everybody liked him. When Austin (Collie)
    got hurt, it just made sense because he’s a guy we considered hard on draft day.”

Arians: “It’s consistency for him, too, just growing as a receiver, because coming out of (Northern Illinois’) offense, it wasn’t a bunch of routes he ran.”
    Bradley Sowell (6-7, 320), undrafted free agent; signed off Tampa Bay's practice squad.

Has appeared in seven games, primarily as an extra tight end to provide blocking punch, but has filled in at right tackle.

Grigson: “Anybody we poached off another team’s roster, to me it was like having another draft in October. I think he’s got a lot of promise as a
    right or left tackle. He’s still in a developmental stage and he’s doing some good things and some bad things. Like a lot of young guys, he’s got to iron things out and become consistent.”
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...ing-far-season

I love Grigson's quote that appeared earlier in this article: "A lot of people thought it was hogwash in the beginning when we didn't draft defense," Grigson said. "We followed our board. I think the franchises that are disciplined to that are the ones that have been successful in this league."
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    that was awesome

#iubb

vCash
    Interesting to get their opinions on everyone.

And...here...we...go...